Is it worth upgrading to Mavericks?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by jkcerda, Mar 7, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the "flaw" and security risk seem rather minimal if you DON'T use the internet at Starbucks or other free places, does the upgrade fix more than just the security issue?

2. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

What "security risk"? The SSL issue? What version of OS X are you currently running?

3. RichardF macrumors 6502a

RichardF

Don't do it!

First time I ever regretted "upgrading" Mac OS X. Mavericks blows....

4. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Do it!

First time I ever enjoyed "upgrading" Mac OS X. Mavericks rocks....

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've been using it since it first came out, I highly recommend it. Its a solid upgrade, that offers a lot of nice features.

6. GigabitEthernet macrumors 6502

7. EvilEvil macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

I finally upgraded the other night. It's much snappier. Screen color looks a bit nicer. It fixed all my bugs I had with Mountain Lion. The only major problem I have is Mail. For some reason it randomly doesn't want to send out outgoing mail. I ended up switching to Airmail and haven't looked back. Also Adium for some reason randomly doesn't want to connect to gtalk which is fixed simply by rebooting. Other than those things I'm glad I finally upgraded.

8. HishamAkhtar macrumors 6502a

Lol Adium. I didn't know people still used that.

9. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Super happy with Mavericks! My iMac runs so much better now. :)

10. bingefeller macrumors 6502

I'd recommend it. I have no problems with Mavericks. The only problem I had in 10.9.1 was the spinning beach ball issue and 10.9.2 has fixed that for me.

11. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Another vote for Mavericks! Running on two iMac's and a Air laptop and I've had no issues to speak of. Rock solid IMHO.

12. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

Upgrade.

I did so on launch day, there are many features such as improved Safari, cloud support, tabbed finder, screen mirroring/extension to Apple TV plus improved memory management which make it a no brainer for me. I have had some mail app issues which have been more annoying than significant but they seem to have been fixed. As the OS was free I spent some money on latest iPhoto as I wanted photo stream support which wasn't in my version 9.

13. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

More than 30.000 unique users just last week.

14. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

Admittedly Mavericks is my first OSX Mac so I can only really compare to Windows and Linux but on my rMBP it runs fantastically. No problems at all and I can't believe how little maintanence and setup I need to do on it. I spend hours optimising and maintaining Windows, with OSX I just installed Firefox and a few Apps and that's it.
    I bootcamp only for gaming and for programming, other than that OSX 10.9 is a really enjoyable experience and I can't wait to see what Apple do in 10.10.

I really enjoy using Apple products, I get a big new OS update for both my iPhone and Macbook Pro every year, everything feels polished and just works, my whole family is moving over to Macs after using mine and we already all use iPhones. So yeh, get Mavericks, cannot fault it, even although I haven't used anything previous to 10.9.:cool:

15. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Life's too short not to upgrade. Get it, use it, experience it, and in a few months the next version will be released. Unless you're running a business that relies on older software which isn't compatible, upgrade and enjoy.

16. Tbone999 macrumors member

NO! It is not worth "upgrading" -- this is the worst operating system Apple has ever released. Mail doesn't work -- I'm not exaggerating, it simply doesn't work. Won't retrieve mail. I've tried everything. I can't even get it to list my mail accounts; they moved mail accounts to system Preferences and now it hangs whenever it I try to open my Mail Accounts. Safari hangs whenever I try to input text in a text input box. That's useful. Textedit won't let you "Save as." They removed this functionality because . . . WHY?

Mavericks is a horrorshow. I say this as a diehard Mac fan since 1982. I think Apple has gotten too big, too bloated, and they are no longer hungry for success the way they used to be. This OS reeks of mindless bureaucracy.

17. chrfr macrumors 603

They didn't. Command-option-shift-S is "Save As."
    Mavericks has been great for me on several computers.

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

And even if one doesn't know the keyboard shortcut, they replaced "Save As" in the menu with "Duplicate" which is clearly the exact same function he's looking for, just re-worded to make more sense to the public at large.

"Save As" has always just meant "I want to make a copy of this." I have a hard time believing that this poster looked at the menu, saw "Duplicate" in the exact spot "Save As" used to be and decided that it wasn't what he wanted.

19. fivenotrump macrumors regular

I highly recommend an upgrade: it's the best yet!

20. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

Huh? Why wouldn't they?

21. Tbone999 macrumors member

It makes much less sense to me -- it's been "Save as" for something like a decade or more, right? I've been using macs since they were invented and the elimination of Save as -- which other people have complained about, not just me -- is a mistake.

22. chrfr macrumors 603

Again, it hasn't been eliminated. Hold down the option key and open the File menu. Save As is right where you expect it.

23. Tbone999 macrumors member

Well, thanks, that's very helpful. I knew about using option to get the library to appear, but I had no idea it might bring up hidden menu options elsewhere.

24. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

Pro's
    You're up to date
    New map app that sends directions to phones/pads
    iBooks for reading purchased books on your mac
    Optimized for notebook use
    Multi-monitor support improved

Con's
    Not compatible with as many 3rd party agents/daemons/ktext as ML
    iTunes/iPhoto databases modified so dual booting older OS is a problem
    Optimized for notebook use
    iTunes/iPhone local sync gone
    iTunes/books local management gone
    External drive sleep issues with some manufacturers
    HDMI display issues with some monitors
    Has a larger OS footprint, runs more data collection (systemstats)

Have a good working clone so you can go back if you do upgrade, you may be one of the unlucky ones who's 3rd party stuff hose your system. Be prepared to do a clean install (have all your installers handy) if you are again one of the unlucky but still want Mavericks.

Full disclosure: I use Mavericks on my MacBook Air but continue to use Mountain Lion on my Mac Pro.