Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jodeo

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2003
Middle Tennessee
I'm On 10.6.8 and afraid to upgrade...

I'm running Snow Leopard on my iMac (first AL iMac from Aug 2007). It's running great, btw. No problems at all. Fast as ever.

But Apple is dropping support, and I understand. But it's been a solid OS.

Here are my main concerns...
  1. Will my Adobe CS3 still work? I mainly use Photoshop CS3 and really can't afford to upgrade it.
  2. Mail: I've used it to date and like it but it's busted in Mav. What do I do?

Also, I don't believe I can upgrade for free from SL. Further, if I clone my drive so I can revert, how painful is that with Mav on the hard drive? (Presumably no different than ever, but I figured I'd ask.)

Thanks.

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
I'm running Snow Leopard on my iMac (first AL iMac from Aug 2007). It's running great, btw. No problems at all. Fast as ever.

1. Will my Adobe CS3 still work? I mainly use Photoshop CS3 and really can't afford to upgrade it.

Also, I don't believe I can upgrade for free from SL. Further, if I clone my drive so I can revert, how painful is that with Mav on the hard drive? (Presumably no different than ever, but I figured I'd ask.)

Thanks.

Restoring a Snow Leopard over a Mavericks is not any different from any version. Just format the destination first.

I would think 10.6.8 provides you with everything you need. What are you missing that you think you need? iMaps? iBooks? the new versions of iWorks? That's about all you'll gain.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta

Thanks.

You can upgrade from SL to MV without any issues. As long as CS3 is universal I believe it should work without an issue, for your email I believe Thunderbird should be able to do what you need if Maverick's Mail won't.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
As mentioned earlier in the thread: no more local sync in Mavericks. You can only sync thru the cloud.

Don't want or need my contacts in the cloud.

Also prefer to let other folks do the beta testing. Doesn't it seem that Mav is still in beta?

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
My take...

Firstly I would like to make note that I present my opinion on this topic as a 16 + year owner of Apple Mac computers and operating systems. Personally, I believe dedicated hard core Apple Mac users (and I am including myself as one who is unfortunately of this mindset) have become sort of brainwashed into believing, thinking and feeling a displaced desire to have/own the latest/greatest apple anything in order to feel competent, current and relevant. Apple is one of, if not THE most profitable corporations in the world and there is a reason for this. They do a magnificent job marketing while instilling within their consumer base this very same "latest and greatest is always better" philosophy.

With that said, if there exist a need within your personal computer usage to acquire either the new features that you could assuredly use or a notable performance boost (more likely if you own a newer 2011 + machine) from upgrading to OS X 10.9 Mavericks then by all means do so. Personally I am trying to break free from the urge to blindly upgrade "everything apple" at every turn of the corner. I am also taking in consideration the fact that as Mavericks is indeed free to the consumer that perhaps as it (Mavericks) is no longer a profitable venture that the same thoroughness and quality control that existed previously may no longer be a priority (i.e. the SSL security break down that just surfaced last week).

Last edited:

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011

Thanks.

According to the App Store, the upgrade should be free. Check on yours.

I just went from SL to Mavericks when I upgraded my home computer. I plan to leave my Macbook Pro with SL.

My thoughts:
Considering the age of your computer, Mavericks could be a problem. Has anyone out there upgraded a 2007 machine to Mavericks? If so have you had problems?

If you decide to try it make sure you've got a good backup. You might even make 2 backups. One in your regular place, and one on a new drive. I have heard of backups having bad files. Probably files that haven't changed in years and the image has been corrupted with Time Machine not noticing.

Be prepared for some annoying new "Features" and behaviors. Make sure you've got time to figure out the new system. I had the advantage of still having my old computer running SL so that I could take a few weeks to get things transferred to the new one.

If you like Spaces, you'll probably want the program TotalSpaces 2. It works very well to the new Multi-Display feature. I have mine set with 9 spaces on the main monitor and 4 on the 2nd one.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
latest news is that the upcoming beta iTunes version will restore local sync

let's hope that local sync doesn't get eliminated when that version comes out of beta...

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
My home machines (iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air) are all on Mavericks and my office machines (iMac, MacBook Pro) are all on Snow Leopard. I upgraded at home because of The Lions that came on those machines - couldn't get off them fast enough. I have stayed on SL at the office because, as things Apple used to be, it just works (for me, anyway). I am under pressure from our sysadmin to upgrade at the office because Apple is (everyone thinks) dropping support for SL. Bottom line advice from me is: (1) if you're using SL and are happy with it and can stay on it, do so; (2) otherwise upgrade to Mavericks. Not a rousing endorsement, but there you go.

This is so much like Microsoft's issues with XP and the failed Vista and Windows 8 it makes you want to cry.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I am under pressure from our sysadmin to upgrade at the office because Apple is (everyone thinks) dropping support for SL.

I believe it is more than what everyone thinks. The last security updates released were for Lion and up and they left out Snow Leopard, so it is safe to say SL is done for as far as security updates.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Question:
[[ Is it worth upgrading to Mavericks? ]]

Answer:
You'll get what you paid for!

More serious answer:
If you're currently at 10.8, and are happy with the installation, I'd stick with it for now.

I'm not sure if some of the "improvements" in Mavericks are worth having. The re-design of RAM handling, in particular, seems to cause difficulties on systems that trend toward the minimum RAM requirements. I did find that turning off "compressed memory" seems to help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.