Is it 'wrong' to stay committed to the first genration Ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shenfrey, May 3, 2011.

1. shenfrey macrumors 68000

As the topic suggests, yes I am committed to my Ipad 3G 16GB (1st Gen), just updated it with a nice case, and I don't plan on replacing it for a long time. I like the look of it, the feel of it and obviously the capability of the device its self. But is that wrong of me? Should I be looking to upgrade as soon as possible? With all the new upgrades that are potentially coming down the line, faster processors, faster graphics better display with better cameras and probably even thinner (would you put it past apple?), is it wrong to stay committed? Should I be planning a head? Should I start saving to upgrade, or should I just stick to what i like and enjoy? I feel no pressure, but at the rate at which apple adds features, I feel like I could easily become pressured.

I don't care about a camera, honestly I don't know what people wanted one on this large device in the first place (but thats beside the point), I don't care for the thinness of the Ipad 2 (Could grow on me but I just like the feel of the first gen Ipad) and I feel like I don't really need speed (who even complained about the Ipad 1 being slow anyway) but im not really JUST talking about the Ipad 2 here, I'm talking about 3, 4 and 5. Should I begin looking in the future, make an apple Ipad fund and just add to it over time so I can upgrade, or is it OK to commit to my Ipad 1st gen for another couple of years?

What are you guys doing? Thanks guys.

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

You're probably overthinking this a bit. :) If you're enjoying the iPad, keep it for as long as you want.

The only issue you may run into is that, based on iPhone history at least, the latest version of iOS tends to only run on the last two models (4.3 currently only runs on the iPhone 4 and 3GS, 3.0 only ran on the 3GS and 3G). So the original iPad might not support iOS 6, but there's no way to prove that just yet.

My advice? Wait until the products are released. If the iPad 3 is what you need, start saving. Who says you have to be the first one to have it?

3. sineplex macrumors 6502

I think you've really answered your own question. If you're happy with what you have what's the problem ? It seems to do everything you need. :)
    There are plenty of people who are staying with their original ipads. I'd look forward to ipad 3. I think an upgrade every 2 years as apposed to every 12 months is more sensible. I purchased the iPad2, but only because I did not buy the original.

4. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

5. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

I have the 64GB original and love it. Some games I've noticed are pushing towards the iPad 2 with it's more powerful graphics and CPU. Honestly, I game casually, and I don't think it will make a big impact on Words with Friends :p

If the iPad 3 or later down the road pushes for a "Retina Display", I may take the plunge. The majority of my time used with my iPad is reading and being as the iPad 2 has the same LCD panel, the upgrade is rather trivial to me.

Long story short, if you're happy with it, there's no need to replace it.

6. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I like my ipad too and don't see any reason to upgrade now. Don't let the media or friends pressure you into thinking otherwise; independent thinking is a good thing. You have every right to wait; there's nothing that says you're required to upgrade.

8. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Of course not, Apple fans often have "problems with commitment" anyway. Or at least they get the "7-year-itch" every year or so when a new model is released.

9. Kupp macrumors regular

Nope, not at all. Nowadays we are pushed to have the latest and greatest. Generally I am one to stay behind the tech cycle, in favor of saving money, but given the limited life cycle of getting updates on these iDevices I think you should generally skip every other generation.

So you wait for the iPad 3 while I wait for the iPad 4. Especially if you buy apple care, you bought a 2 year warranty, why throw that $70 away.

10. matt90036 macrumors regular

I am staying commited to my ipad1. I am not completly happy since it lacks a webcam but the superior build quality is more important to me. I also dont see a point on upgrading every 10 months.

11. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

It is very wrong on so many levels. I hope you go confess your sins to a priest.

12. Kupp macrumors regular

Aren't the cameras on the iPhone better anyways?

13. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

[​IMG]

14. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

Yes, it's wrong that you want to stay committed to your first generation iPad. The second one is clearly better. You MUST get rid of yours and buy a new one, or else we will find you, and we will take your pets. Even the goldfish.

15. Bernard SG, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011

Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

There's nothing wrong about sticking to the old model (Unless you're filthy rich and paying $800 a year to upgrade your iPad is not an issue).
    The arrival of a newer version is not what should determine your decision to upgrade; it's usage: if/when your old iPad starts to be unable to handle some activities you want to do, then upgrade.
    Any Apple hardware product could last you at least 3 years in normal usage conditions (and in many cases, much, much longer than 3 years!) so my view is to not start thinking about an upgrade before 2 years.

16. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Why the hell would it be wrong to use the technology that works best for your purposes? I purposely didn't buy an iPad til the 2 came out, and I don't plan on replacing it for 2-3 years at a minimum - it would have been longer but I'm already wishing I had 3G, so if I can afford that upgrade in a couple years I might go for it.

But hey, I still use a Powerbook G4 (although that's not 100% my choice, it's for work) and only replaced my eMac with a mini a year ago, so I'm not exactly someone who will tell you that yearly upgrades are an absolute necessity.

17. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I think it's wrong to need to ask somebody else if it's wrong to use whatever you want to use. It's none of our business, and it's solely up to you to decide. I bought my iPad 1 after the iPad 2 was announced and am happy with my choice.

Ain't no shame in my 1st generation game.:cool:

18. NT.Hardcore macrumors newbie

ill prob never get rid of my OG ipad. and as of now it doesnt lack on anything i use it for. i play games and use numerous apps. garage band runs fine. at some point ill get a newer one (after/when the OG is outdated) but for now ill be skipping the 2 and maybe the 3....

19. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm a happy long-time First Gen owner. And like you, I have no plans to update or replace my iPad with a newer model in the near future.

Of the changes to the iPad, I'd rate the improvement in memory and processor as more significant (to me) than the cameras. And to be honest, I've never really felt that my web-browsing was constrained by memory or processor speed.

I also made sure I had a good selection of the sort of accessories I knew I wanted well before the announcement of iPad 2. I've found since then that the selection of cases, etc. that will fit original model iPads has decreased. On the positive side - a lot of those "old model" accessories ended up being discounted.

Apple is pretty smart. They seem to know that, by the time the battery on your iOs device starts reaching the end of its useful life (~3 years for me) - then you are pretty much ready to upgrade to the latest generation. And I've got 4 iPods to give me physical proof of this theory.

20. nathanielonfire macrumors member

I'm positive that iOS 3 ran on the 1st gen. iPhone and iPod touch, no? That being said, you're right, Apple can still do whatever it wants when it comes to future OSes. Especially since they're so good at adding new features and getting people to upgrade. :p

21. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Correct, the first iPhone lasted from iOS 1.0 - 3.1.3, the iPhone 3G from iOS 2.0 - 4.2.1

22. mrholder macrumors regular

I just bought the first generation iPad a few weeks after the 2nd came out, and I plan on using it for a few years. Don't accept the pressure to upgrade.

23. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Exactly, unless the upgrade really has updates you really need or like, the 1st gen, IMO is an awesome device!

24. FutureStan macrumors member

How dare you?

The moral compass of today's people are pointing the wrong way. *sigh*

25. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

use the 1.0 version as long as you can. its all good.