is iTunes noticeably faster in Lion?

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I read that it has 64bit support for Lion .. I have a huge library -- will I notice a difference? Thanks!

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
My copy of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" still plays in 17 minutes 5 seconds, same as it ever did. However, moving around between playlists, and displaying artwork in the Music lib seem zippier than they were in 10.1->10.3.
That's mighty subjective though. To get a firm answer, someone will need to get out a stopwatch and actually measure things.

Comment

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
At first scrolling is a bit jittery when it's loading album artwork. But once it's all there, it's very snappy. The list views are always fast.

But iTunes still doesn't seem to properly cache the album artwork. Every time I relaunch iTunes it needs to load everything again. Pretty annoying, and I can't understand why this hasn't been fixed years ago.

Comment

o'glory

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2010
Canada
I downloaded the recent update of iTunes for Snow Leopard, and I thought it was running a bit slow...

Comment

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Hands down iTunes 10.4 is faster than any previous version. The speed that artwork loads now is exceptionally faster than before (particularly in the tiled art view and coverflow). Though iTunes still eats up a ton of memory the more images you load into it.

Comment

gofightlose

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2011
i would say there is a slight improvement. it does feel 'lighter' if that makes sense. I can't be entirely sure, but I would say this iTunes takes less of my battery up...anyone else feel the same?

Comment

boogei

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2010
Mine doesn't seem any different,although now it keeps quitting when the visualizer is running.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.