Is jailbreaking a 4S worth it, and is it easy to do?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by pooleman, Jun 2, 2012.

1. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Just as the title says, is it difficult to perform? Is it worth it?

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

Nope it's supper difficult most of us JB's are also Mensa members! :D

3. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Check out this video on YouTube called "100 cool thing to do when you jailbreak". I think that's the name. Just search you'll find it. It just came out a month or two ago. If you like some of the things jailbreaking offers, start researching how to jailbreak, common problems, get familiar with the various programs that jailbreak your phone, and get familiar with the devices and firmwares that these programs support. If you only have a 4s to jailbreak then it's not a lot of research. And ask lots of questions if you are unclear on anything. With jailbreaking, knowledge is power and it's ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry. Otherwise in the end you'll be forced to restore. Have fun!

Ask questions if you are unclear before you just start doing things!

4. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

So worse case scenario I can always go back to the current non jailbroken iOS if something goes wrong?

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Yeap, you can always go back vanilla.

Jb is this time around I would give it 2/10 difficulty. After you update your iPhone 4S, use the latest official version of absinthe and press jailbreak; wait for it do it's thing and enjoy being jb.

6. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

Is there a cost?

7. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

No. The programs used to jailbreak are ALWAYS free. They do accept donations however. Then, after you jailbreak, you use an app called cydia where you download and install all the various jailbreak apps and tweaks seen in that video (I'm assuming you watched it.) Some of those apps and tweaks cost money. But to perform the actual jailbreak, no that's always free.

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

no sites that charge are scammerst their are tweaks that cost money though. if you want to go back to stock just restore the device as new after backing up. You really need to spend a few hours and days learning and reading it's only going to benefit you. here is a little stuff to get you started. simple searches will provide more info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_jailbreaking
    http://www.idownloadblog.com/2009/07/10/difference-jailbreaking-unlocking/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/249091/geek_101_what_is_jailbreaking.html

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/11/18/reasons-iphone-4s-jailbreak/
    http://veryrite.com/2011/09/02/30-b...aks-for-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch/#axzz1we27ULIr

10. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

Thanks. I'm downloading the software now to JB.

11. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Post back if you have questions, but it really is dead easy.

12. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

I downloaded the Absinthe 2.0 but now I can't find it on my computer. I feel like a retard.

----------

Lets try this again. I'm on my work computer and sometimes they block downloads from completing. I'm trying a new source now.

13. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Make sure its Absinthe 2.0 not the first version.

14. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

So i download Absinthe 2.0, open the file and iTunes opens, and nothing else happens. What's up?

----------

So apparently I was downloading the iOS 5.1.1 firmware. My work is blocking the download. I'll have to wait till I return home.

15. Damme macrumors newbie

I got a question regarding jailbreaking, I hope it's okay I borrow the topic ;-)

If your iPhone breaks/bricks/fails and you need to go to the apple store but it has been jailbroken is there any way that they can't find out at your iPhone was jailbroken, if you install standard stock iOS?

I mean, if you open Tiny Umbrella, you can see the shsh blobs from all of the firmwares that you jailbroke in the past. Can't they do just that too? :)

16. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

If you restore you're fine.

17. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

It looks like the latest version is 2.0.4. Is that the one I want or is that just for certain devices like iPad 3.

18. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

If you are gullible then yes. People are always posting links to paid versions of these programs on here. They are most likely the site operators as well.

19. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Nope, thats the one you want.

20. Damme macrumors newbie

That's what I've been told, but if the technicians wanted to, they could easily connect the iPhone to Tiny Umbrella and see that it previously had been jailbroken, right? :)

21. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

Jailbreaking now.

I've got a bad feeling about this.

22. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

You'll be fine, in fact I'm actually jailbreaking my iPhone 4S so I can get 5.1.1 right now! Trust me, with all the cool and awesome tweaks available, you'll be wondering how you lived without them!

On another note, I'm currently wiping my iPhone as per instructions, how long should this take, 1-3 hours?

23. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Er... what? Do you mean you're getting 5.1.1 so you can jailbreak? If you jailbreak first then update it'll un-jailbreak the phone.

24. jgc macrumors regular

Just a few questions from someone looking to jailbreak their iPhone 4.

• What will happen to my music and photos? Will they get wiped off my phone?
    • What will happen to my current apps/application data? I've got a few apps on my iPhone that I really like and would like to continue using (games, Mint.com, bunch of other stuff)
    • Will I no longer be able to sync my iPhone via USB to get music and stuff from iTunes?
    • How can I make sure my restore doesn't get deleted?

I'd like to jailbreak but there's a few things I'm a little wary about, primarily photos and apps. Cheers.

25. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Yes but thats not the procedure they follow when replacing a phone. What if I bought a phone from someone else who jailbroke and needed it serviced?

----------

1. Nothing, no they wont be deleted.
    2. Nothing, all apps will still work.
    3. No, the iPhone will communicate with iTunes the same way it did before the jailbreak.
    4. Do you mean backup? Just don't delete it from icloud or locally on your computer.