Is jailbreaking a iphone 4 with 4.2.1 more difficult?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Pinkstiletto66, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

I've finally decided to jailbreak, and from searching and reading through here, its to my understanding that their may be some difficulty. I'm going insane just trying to figure this out. Between remembering the terminologies it can become overwhelming. HELP! Even if it requires some links from here, that would help. Tx.

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

www.blog.iphone-dev.org <--read up on there.

The new 4.2.1 jailbreak for the iPhone 4 is tethered. Meaning every time you reboot the iPhone, you need to run redsn0w again in tethered mode to turn on your iPhone.

If you can wait a couple days to a week an untethered version of redsn0w should be out.

3. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a bunch. I might as well wait if it's going to be a double process. From what I've read so far you'd have to do the jailbreak again for the untethered version.

4. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

I have a iP4 that should be here in the next day or so. I only got it for the Internet Phone. I know...kind of crazy, but $200 for a LAME iTouch vs. $450 for the iP4...really doesn't seem that lame.

Point is, I don't really need the iP4 so that if it crashes while I am out and about, it won't be any big loss because right next to it in the bag will be an iPad an my real phone (a Palm Centro).

But the question is how difficult is a tethered JB?

The phone will arrive with 4.0.2 OS. What will I need to do first to get it to 4.2.1?

After I get it to 4.2.1, then I can JB it?

Is it real easy? Is it easy to brick it?

I am always very nervous when I have to restart my iPad (still on 3.2) that I am going to Brick it.

Thanks for any feedback!!

5. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

For one, it has been repeated over and over that you CANNOT brick an iPhone.

As for the jailbreak. It is not difficult. There are very simple internet tutorials to teach you how to do these things. For example, try this one.

And by the way. I WOULD NOT upgrade to 4.2.1 if you are on iOS 4.0.2. 4.0.2 should have an untethered jailbreak available. So much simpler.

6. jason221 macrumors 6502

Just wait to update it to 4.2.1 until an untethered jailbreak is released. Tethered jailbreaks aren't worth it.

7. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Why wait to even upgrade it? I mean, when I get it, it is going to be a STOCK 4.0.2...no JB.

Are you saying it would be easier to go from 4.0.2 to JBed 4.2.1 all at the same time?

My thinking was that if i couldn't have a JB 4.0.2, then I might as well have 4.2.1 even if it is not JBed.

I am looking forward to having the camera phone...and HDR is a compelling. :)

8. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ditto. As I was reading and with the help of YouTube 4.2 being the latest one and all has only tethered. So pp with the 4.0 version should be able to get the untethered. The info is at the top when you just visit the forum. Happy trails.

9. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

You can jailbreak the iPhone WITHOUT having to upgrade to 4.2.1 you'll have to find the IPSW for the 4.0.2 software online though.

The 4.0.2 jailbreak will be untethered, meaning you WILL NOT have to reboot the phone in redsn0w everytime you turn it on. You will just turn the phone on as usual. I would just stick with 4.0.2 until the time that a 4.2.1 untethered jailbreak comes to life. Which is soon apparently.

10. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Incorrect. I can't be sure, but the rumors are that you will not have to re-jailbreak in order to switch to the untethered version.

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You'd have to do the jailbreak again that's true. However, MuscleNerd has stated that it won't require a restore. It would just be like running redsn0w again to boot tethered. It won't delete anything.

12. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Ok, sorry for the NEWB ? about the bricking...new to iPhone...ipad since Week 1, JBed since day one...but still new to the iOS.

I just don't understand.

Current iOS 4.0.2 - no HDR camera...wait for Untethered JB...sooner than JB for 4.2.1? But, will it still be 4.02? I thought I couldn't do that unless I had the SHSH which I don't. I do have 4.2b3...but for the iPad, if that helps.

Upgrade to 4.2.1 - Get the HDR Camera, etc. Wait for UnTeth JB for 4.2.1. Will there be an easy transition from JBroken 4.0.2 to 4.0.2???

Thanks for the help!!!

13. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okie dokie. Even better if I can't wait, lol. So I'll see depending on my mood. Another q. Do you have to "update" your jailbreak to the newest version for things to work?

14. Pinkstiletto66, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010

Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm new too, so don't fret. Ive had my phone for like 4 days. So ask away.

15. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

You might as well just upgrade to 4.2.1. You won't be able to jailbreak for the first week or two, but the Dev Team is coming out with an untethered jailbreak quite soon. Enjoy your stock iPhone until that time.

16. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

As long as you have a copy of the IPSW for the current version of software you are on, then you won't have to upgrade to 4.2.1 for the jailbreak. But like I said, there will be an untethered JB coming out shortly, so at that point, why not upgrade...

When you upgrade, I would recommend instantly entering TinyUmbrella and saving your SHSH. That way when iOS 4.3 or 5 or whatever comes out, you will be to downgrade if you ever need to.

17. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Thanks for clearing that up. I suppose I was wrong when I said you won't have to re-jailbreak. I meant that you won't have to restore. Which is a gift if you ask me :D

18. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

I currently have 4.2.1. ( I have to look up the definition SHSH as well as ipsw) once I figure those out I will save and copy them. I hope all these must haves are included in the how to or in the jailbreaking to do list. But you probably misunderstood the q. My apologies I forgot a word. The question was do I have to update my jailbreak everytime a new one came out? However often that is n

19. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Totally. I had a huge smile on my face when I read that. It'll definitely be a good Christmas.

20. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Yepp, all Apple has to do now, it make the new MBP line a reality and I'll be ecstatic! :cool:

21. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

No geek talk on my thread please. Lol. Just kidding. Great now that's something else I have to go look up. Lol.

22. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Yes. I believe a new jailbreak only comes out everytime a new iOS version comes out.

In this case, the tethered jailbreak came out when 4.2.1 was released, and the new untethered version is just being released shortly. So unless they come out with the untether jailbreak initially after the iOS version is released, I suppose you could say that there are two releases of jailbreak software within the lifespan of one iOS release. For most jailbreaks, you would have to restore before rejailbreaking. For this new version, apparently you will not have to. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it stays that way with all future releases!

23. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I'll define these and make it easier...

SHSH - This is just an acronym standing for signature. When Apple releases a new iOS they "sign" the software so that it can be put onto the devices. Whenever a newer version of iOS is released they stop signing the old versions. So you should download a program called TinyUmbrella and use the "Save SHSH" feature everytime a new iOS is released that way you can always downgrade if you need to.

IPSW - This just stands for iPhone Software. The reason we say IPSW instead of just iOS is because the file that contains the operating system has a file extension of .IPSW

MBP - MacBook Pro

24. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a bunch! A lil less hw for me. All I need to do is get Tinyumbrella to save my current SHSH in it and find a way to save my IPSW and I'm good to go. Thanks

25. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Saving your SHSH isn't necessary, but It's definitely a smart thing to do. And you might be able to find your IPSW here:

On PC: Your Username\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

On Mac:
    Home Folder/Library/Application Support/iTunes/iPhone Firmware