Is lag still an issue with rMBP 13?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Z6128, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Z6128 macrumors regular

I just sold my Air 13 and was looking into getting a base 13 rMBP.

I've seen a lot of reviews talking about lag with things like web browsing. But those reviews were mostly from when it was first released.

Is lag still an issue with safari or say loading and scrolling through an iTunes library with 60gb of music and album covers?

2. katmeef macrumors 6502

In the past two weeks I've sold my 15 rMBP and purchased a 13 rMBP and I'm not bothered by any lag, although I have had about 11 months to get used to it on the 15". I don't find the 13" to be any worse than the 15" even when the dgpu was on.

The fact the dgpu did not help of my 15 makes me hope it's just a software issue, I've read people say it's fixed in Mavericks

3. Z6128 thread starter macrumors regular

i dont do any gaming whatsoever, so im not concerned with peroformance. the reports of safari lag made me hesitant though.

the difference between my iMac loading my itunes library and my old air loading it was night and day.

just don't want to upgrade to a machine that makes simple tasks a pain. :confused:

4. DarkoDonnie macrumors member

DarkoDonnie

I'm on a 2 day old rMBP right now. been using is for work and leisure for pretty much 36 hours straight - have had ZERO lag (even when using heavy adobe apps). It's seriously a powerhouse machine.

5. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

Zero lag on the 13" rMBP we bought two weeks ago. In fact, it's smoother than my Ipad 4. ;)

6. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

It's as smooth as a Macbook Air except with a retina display

7. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

Lags bad when scrolling on zoomed up webpages.

8. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

i'm using 13 retina before, no lag issues with browsing or etc.
    and now using 15 retina, no issues lag too :D

9. jread macrumors regular

Another 13" rMBP here, also no lag. I was honestly expecting this thing to be total junk after all the bitching people have done about it on these forums, but honestly it is a wonderful machine and performs very well. I went for the i7 which makes it a little snappier, but not a huge upgrade from the i5.

Anyway, whatever was wrong with these must be fixed or maybe I'm blind, but I have no issues with my 13" rMBP.

10. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

Everyone saying there is no lag:

1. Command-L.
    2. Type theverge.com.
    3. Two finger spread to zoom, command +, whatever...
    4. Try to scroll.

11. jread macrumors regular

I see it stutter a tiny bit, but that's all, and certainly not enough for me to really notice or care.

I'm starting to think that the i7 really is a lot better than the i5 for certain things in the 13" rMBP, because I don't seem to have near the issues that a lot of people are reporting.

12. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

Interesting. i5 2012 model and the lag during these conditions is unbearable.

13. 1member1 macrumors 6502

what is the purpose of this ? no one will do it in day to day use...

14. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

I do because I surf the web a lot. And it goes to show that the rmbp does exhibit lag in normal use cases.

15. 1member1 macrumors 6502

I visit the verge a lot but never zoom in too much just to see lag.. their site is heavy i let it load a sec and then scroll down without lag.

btw it's only happen in the verge website.. other sites are very smooth on my rmbp.

16. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

OK, you guys win. Enjoy your reality distortion field.

17. falconeight, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013

falconeight Guest

falconeight

Im going to return mine for a MBA. I do this way to much daily and its horrible. Wait I did that on my mac mini and a brand new air at best buy and guess what happened? The same thing maybe? Wait never mind because it didn't happen on my rMBP but it did with the others. I followed the directions recorded it on my phone. My resolution is set at 1440x900 which is second to smallest setting on the retina stock settings. I see no lag but you decide.

18. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

I believe you. I really do. Yep. Empirical evidence be damned.

19. alexrmc92 macrumors regular

deleted

20. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I posted evidence. Your turn:eek:

21. Grmnracing macrumors regular

I have the last Gen rMbp 13. I've never experienced lag. Any videos of this lag everyone talks about?

22. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

This question always come in different new threads so I'm going to copy-paste my answer from a previous one:

From Anandtech:
    Basically, that's a software issue Mavericks will fix. You can use WebKit nightly until then if it bothers you. The bottleneck is with the CPU, not the GPU. The HD 4000 is not underpowered for scrolling on a Retina display, it's not even fully used. It's the software that needs optimisation to prevent the CPU bottleneck.

Reviews of the 13" rMBP saying the HD 4000 is underpowered (like The Verge's) make an unfounded claim. Current 13" rMBP will be super-smooth with Mavericks. Heck, it could even have used a much older GPU and it would probably have been OK with proper CPU software optimization. I'm curious to see if The Verge's review of the 2013 13" rMBP will claim Haswell's iGPU has magically fixed things, like it's supposed to be more powerful than a GT 650M...

23. trigonometry, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013

trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

24. falconeight Guest

falconeight

25. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Do you mean Apple's engineers are bad at programming? ;)

Not all tasks can be parallelized, which means some are single threaded and you can't do anything about it...