Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psykick5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
So... here we are almost three months after the release of Lion. We are still plagued by bugs, slowdowns, issues, and one of the most serious issues for laptop users: significant battery life reduction. Now maybe in the first month this is all okay, the OS is still new, but it's been a while now. It's been several months and there still have been no fixes for these issues. Are they including all these fixes with the iCloud update or what?

The clock is ticking.

phyrexia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
You post this the day before a major event!

There has only been one update. Perhaps the second update is overdue, but it is timed to coincide with the release of iOS5 which is imminent.

What kind of problems are you having?

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I want Lion to get better but I have not been able to get in touch with anyone at Apple who is responsible for Lion! Lion completely broke Bluetooth File Exchange (I can't understand how no one else seemed to have noticed this), screen sharing CPU usage, Quicktime recording CPU usage and data size were doubled to tripled.

The Bluetooth File Exchange one just boggles the mind! It's a utility that Apple advertises as part of Lion and it was left untouched, and Lion causes its entire interface to not work--there are literally missing buttons. It's unusable. I tried doing a clean install on two separate machines, and yet if I google to see if anyone else has problems with it, I only see the complaints I've made about it on discussions.apple.com and that I've made here before.

I have spent a great deal of energy trying to contact any willing ear at Apple and have had no luck. I am trying to help them help themselves!

I feel like I am in a twilight zone--could someone else try browsing a bluetooth device and getting or sending files using Bluetooth File Exchange, because I start to feel like I'm crazy when a company as large as Apple could not test one of the utilities included with the OS to see if its basic functionality has disappeared? I mean it's on the GD page where they advertise features of Mac OS X Lion! No one at Apple went through to open those apps to see if they still worked in Lion?

AppleCare could not help, executive customer relations couldn't help, and I can for the life of me not get through to Apple via Bug Report.

I eagerly bought Lion and installed it on a brand new drive all excited, but uninstalled it 12 hours after I installed it.

And I really don't have much hope that Lion will get better because I don't know how it can if customer feedback like mine can't get to Apple. I don't think they're going to suddenly realize they forgot to update Bluetooth File Exchange to work with Lion if they didn't realize it during the years Lion was under development. It makes me sad because I honestly question how much future I have with the Mac and how much future the Mac has. This is the first and only Mac OS I have downgraded from--and that includes Mac OS X Public Beta--I used that on a daily basis and it was slooooooow!

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
I wish Apple would put as much effort into their computers and OS as they did before the iPod/iPhone/iPad obsession.

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Even if they fix all the bugs Lion is seriously flawed from multiple incredibly ignorant feature implementations, like full screen apps making multiple monitors useless, and ruining spaces/epose with the half baked mission control app. Apple would need to redesign some of these high profile features completely, and no, they won't do that... Maybe 10.8... But they are too stubborn to make significant changes to Lion now. I am sticking with the perfectly good/solid OS Snow Leopard. just wish I could run it on those new Mac book airs. Oh well...

TheRdungeon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2011
Feel sorry for people running Lion on 2gb of ram, even with 4gb it's not the best. Lion with a decent setup is great, otherwise it's a big slob

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
I'm running Lion with 2GB of ram why be sorry for me? :confused: it's doing what I need it for daily! No issues here.

Really? Because I agree with him. I just upgraded my ram to 4GB this past week and there is a HUGE HUGE difference. I used to have firefox, mail, itunes, ical open at all times and that took up 1.99 GB. Opening up another application took ages.

But 4GB is just awesome. I can open more applications and still have memory to spare and everything just feels faster. I've never had mail open up in under 2 seconds. Before it used to take almost 15 seconds just to open up since I would have no memory left.

DagazaGZ

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Agreed, lion seems extremely powerful with added Ram. Bought a brand new iMac with 4 GB ram and it started going slow once the memory got to capacity (mainly silverlight taking 3+ GB). Bought 16 GB of ram for $90 and now everything is lightening fast.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Really? Because I agree with him. I just upgraded my ram to 4GB this past week and there is a HUGE HUGE difference. I used to have firefox, mail, itunes, ical open at all times and that took up 1.99 GB. Opening up another application took ages.

But 4GB is just awesome. I can open more applications and still have memory to spare and everything just feels faster. I've never had mail open up in under 2 seconds. Before it used to take almost 15 seconds just to open up since I would have no memory left.

Well I have 2GB of ram running chrome with about 15 tabs open, mail, itunes, ichat, ebay, and sometimes facetime when I'm talking with family members! Not as smooth as instant app switch, but I don't get the beach ball or anything like that. However, my fan just runs really high due to facetime, but seems normal to me. ;) That make sense? Yea I wish I had bought 4GB of ram, but it was a gift from my dad and he just bought the cheapest one. :cool:

psykick5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
You post this the day before a major event!

There has only been one update. Perhaps the second update is overdue, but it is timed to coincide with the release of iOS5 which is imminent.

What kind of problems are you having?

"Let's Talk iPhone"

Yes I was really expecting a Mac OS X update announcement from this :rolleyes:

phyrexia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
"Let's Talk iPhone"

Yes I was really expecting a Mac OS X update announcement from this :rolleyes:

Since you don't seem to know what you're talking about, let me spell it out for you: iOS5, 10.7.2, and iCloud are all deeply intertwined. Anyone who is paying attention realizes Apple has timed the release of 10.7.2 to coincide with the public unveiling of iCloud. We all knew this. And now we know 10.7.2 should be released on the 14th.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
I want Lion to get better. . . After using a PC all day, coming home to my Mac is like a tall, cold glass of peach iced tea.

I used to feel that way when I came home from my XP Pro equiped office where I earn my keep. Cranking up Snow Leopard was just amazing. My home hardware and software quality are extremely satisfying.

Then Lion came along with its ugly gray icons, tiny (and ugly) Address Book, goofy scroll bars, mind numbing autosave and all the rest of the stuff that people have been griping about. At the same time I installed Windows 7 on my Macs so I could stay current for the day when my work upgrades to W7.

As it turns out W7 and Office 2010 look pretty dammed good to me. As a bonus I have very few Windows versions of the beachballs compared to doing the same operations on OS X on the very same computers.

Naturally Apple will slowly get all of the operational kinks and bugs out of Lion. I'm just not sure that Mac OS looks all that great to me anymore. Apple wins new some customers, Apple looses some old customers. That's the way the world world.

psykick5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Since you don't seem to know what you're talking about, let me spell it out for you: iOS5, 10.7.2, and iCloud are all deeply intertwined. Anyone who is paying attention realizes Apple has timed the release of 10.7.2 to coincide with the public unveiling of iCloud. We all knew this. And now we know 10.7.2 should be released on the 14th.

Okay, iCloud is coming out... did they promise any Lion improvements?

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

psykick5 said:

Okay, iCloud is coming out... did they promise any Lion improvements?

Yes, they did at WWDC. and they said that Lion would be able to take advantage of iCloud in the fall. Since we know the release date of iCloud, we can guess that 10.7.2, which will have iCloud, will be released either on the same day or after the day iCloud is launched. The fact that 10.7.2 is now a GM, it means they're wrapping up development of the point release and will probably have it released soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.