Is Lion slower than Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by rich2k4, Jul 20, 2011.

1. rich2k4 macrumors regular

i have a 2.93 ghz core 2 duo imac that has snow leopard. If I upgrade to Lion, will i notice a slowdown? Does it take up more RAM?

2. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

No. Although the first hour or two it will feel slow (due to Spotlight indexing), speeds should be about the same, if not better, than Snow Leopard.

I also hear the apps run a lot better in Lion. Such as iTunes and Safari.

3. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I think it feels a bit snappier, but that may just be the new OS smell deceiving me. (2010 13" MBP)

4. hull3 macrumors newbie

Seems slower to me when opening applications. I never actually timed SL but "seat-of-the-pants" timing says it's slower now. I don't notice it as much with Safari but definitely when opening iTunes and iPhoto. I click the button to open either of those and there's a delay, application partially opens, then there's a pinwheel for about 5 seconds and the application finishes opening.

5. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

I upgraded to 4 GB ram night before Lion install. Lion feels blazingly fast compared to SL. Obviously due to both ram upgrade and Lion.

6. monaarts macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's faster for me without a doubt. I don't mean a ton faster but it is faster. Plus, some things make it feel even faster than it is, such as back and forward in safari (you see the pages without waiting when doing so).

GREAT UPDATE!! :)

7. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

To me it's kind of a wash. The animations and responsiveness are better than Snow Leopard but actual processing time is a bit slower. So for me it comes out fairly even from a pure speed perspective. But having better responsiveness improves the *perception* of speed.

8. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

I am very impressed with the speed of it, much better than SL, and spotlight is still indexing in the background

9. applefan289 macrumors 68000

It actually feels faster to me.

Safari is much faster as well.

10. hull3 macrumors newbie

Does Lion/Safari "learn" after the update? Reason I ask is because immediately after the update Safari felt slower but the longer/more I use it the faster it's continually getting. iTunes is now faster as well. Right after the Lion upgrade I would click the button to open iTunes, there was a delay, iTunes opens and the menu down the left side is showing but there's nothing in the song list. There's a 4-5 second pinwheel and then everything shows up. After opening and closing iTunes several times it now launches instantly. However, I'm still getting the slowness in iPhoto. I launch iPhoto and everything opens and my pics are displayed but you can't click any of the menu bar buttons at the top for several seconds and then all of a sudden it works.

11. windowstomac macrumors regular

Probably feels about the same to me, but bootup seems considerably slower (2011 13" i5 MBP 4GB)

12. linked.account macrumors newbie

Maybe a little bit slower

The first hour was really bad because of Spotlight indexing. Now it is better but I have this feeling that many Application except for Safari (back and forth) is slower than SL... Boot up and shut down is also slower. Usually I do a fresh install when the new OS is out but this time cause I'm waiting for my new SSD I didn't do it, since I'm going to do that fresh install on my SSD. (MBP early 2011 15", 2.0 Ghz Quad Core i7 )