Is Lion worth it for someone with an iMac and a logitech mouse??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tbb07, Jul 21, 2011.

1. tbb07 macrumors newbie

It seems like, from what I've seen, Lion is meant for Macbooks. I mean, the much raved multi-touch gesture does not apply to me since I use a logitech mouse. I do not plan on using the magic mouse because that is too slow and uncomfortable. I also do not plan to use the trackpad because I play games and draw on my iMac (offtopic question: any mac artist use the trackpad btw? Just wondering...). I would think the much raved launchpad would not to desiring since I have a 27inch iMac; it would clutter my screen.

Any disagreements with what I'm saying? Is it still worth it, in your opinion?

Any input would be great, thanks.

2. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

definitely worth it. The gestures are fairly heavily integrated but even if you don't use them it will just be like snow leopard but with a bunch of new features.

3. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

you can actually enjoy LaunchPad, Mission Control, or dashboard using only keyboard, but it doesn't feel same. I suggest if you don't mind you get a TrackPad, yes you won't use it for drawing or something, but truly .. Lion is not quite enjoyable without Magic TrackPad.

As you said, magic Mouse is horribly slow and not ergonomic (looks pretty though) .. SO if you don't want to invest on Magic TrackPad, Lion wouldn't be as pretty as it should. Maybe won't be much different than SL.

But I have 50% increased GPU temp on Lion !! Anyone has this issue too??

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

For $30, Lion has a handful of features.
    Though you'll miss out on the gestures, there are still a bunch of other stuff that you may value.

5. lee14160 macrumors regular

lee14160

Yes it is. . .I use a Logitech mouse, and have had no problems.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I wish I could upgrade to Lion. I like it but Maya is not compatible yet so I have to wait...

7. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I have a logitech mouse as well, and all its buttons are configurable. So you can configure, say the thumb button, to be Mission Control, as I have.

It's dandy; you get all the controls you want, plus the comfort of an actual mouse. My personal use of the trackpad resulted in a tired and strained wrist. I don't find it practical. You have to constantly keep your hand "hovering" over the trackpad when you're not actually using it.

It's brilliant on laptops, but impractical for long-term, everyday use on a desktop.

8. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

I use my Logitech for games and work but I much prefer the magic trackpad for general use. I also have a Bamboo tablet which I would highly recommend for art. I've tried both in Photoshop and I much prefer the precision of the provided Bamboo pen to the magic trackpad.

Lion is nicer with multitouch but its inhibiting to use the logitech mouse at all. And Launchpad? Useless! It looks nice, it responds quickly but I still can't see the point of it, other than being gimmicky and friendly for people who move from an iOS device to a mac.

I like Lion for the other things. I like the new Mail, iCal, Address Book, Resume feature (I really like that), Mission Control (once you get used to it) and to be honest I've not really used many new multitouch gestures, so I'd go for it if I were you.

9. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I never understood all the hate for the Magic Mouse. I've been using mine with gestures galore courtesy of MagicPrefs since it came with my iMac in 2009. The default, unusably slow tracking speed can be adjusted thus.

Now, in Lion, I continue to use MagicPrefs along with the new system default gestures.

I think Lion and the Magic Mouse are an awesome combination. Now I only use my trusty old Logitech MX Revolution in Bootcamp.

10. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

I'm enjoying it (with a MagicMouse). Kinda gimmicky, but not that much different from SL. And the nice part is, you can use the things you want and not others. My only caveat is to make sure all your apps work with Lion before upgrading. Do some research first.

11. leman macrumors 604

Lion is already totally worth it because of the new Mail and iCal (both best organizer software I have used so far). I own a magic trackpad and a Razor Naga (for gaming), and it is still perfectly usable with the mouse. Obviously, the launchpad only makes sense if you have a multitouch device. With a normal mouse, using Spotlight is much faster.

P.S. Lion also has tons of subtle refinements (for instance, the new spell-checker is great!). So far, very impressed.

12. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

Quite like the idea behind it. The reason I hate it... well.. hate is a harsh word... dislike more rather... is (for me) an ergonomic disaster.

OP: Lion is ok no matter what mouse one uses.. Some of its finer points (UI wise) are better experienced with trackpad. But, mouse ok too.. Especially on iMac.

13. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Well the generic complaint seems to be that its too shallow and causes hand cramps. I never had that really but I dropped it for the trackpad + logitech because for work it was pretty annoying. I'd often easily accidentally flick an image away off the canvas in photoshop for example. I then tried a trackpad at the apple store and I much preferred the gestures at the time. I've used MagicPrefs with the mouse but I don't like the amount of space you have on it, especially as I have big hands.

14. tbb07 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do you configure the buttons? I've searched in google for hours on button mapping the mx518 logitech mouse with no luck. :(

And, yeah, no chance I'm using the Magic Mouse. It is so unbelievably uncomfortable. And it's mostly in the name of style for apple.