Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VincentG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
I have need to setup my Mac with Windows recently. For email I installed Outlook with my Office365 license. I discover various options, one that in my case was missing a way to "confirm delivery receipt and read receipt".
So using the same email account, iCloud, on Windows I can use that option and not non the Mac!

Support tell me the Mac version require a Exchange Account! And that the Mac version is a new software, release 15.36.1 (170721).

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
If you're trying to blame Apple because Outlook for Mac doesn't support read receipts and delivery, try blaming who made the software - Microsoft.

Outlook for Mac has always been a castrated version of Outlook for Windows

VincentG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
I agree, I blame Microsoft for poor version on the Mac side.

Apple should but those options in Apple Mail software make it professional, forcing Microsoft to have equivalent version on both platform!
Microsoft just benefit from Apple agreement to rely on Microsoft products for more professional usage. Same goes for Page, Keynote and Numbers, we can go much deeper on that.

My point was that Microsoft give you a crippled version for the same price has Windows user!

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
There are some differences between Mac and Win versions of Outlook. Mac Outlook doesn't need Exchange, unless that's how your organization's mail architecture is set up. But I have Outlook on a home Mac, it gets and sends mail, and does not have Exchange. Outlook 2016 started at 15.1, and updated with some regularity. Now it updates monthly. I've used Outlook 2016 for over 18 months, since about version 15.11.

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
Delivery and read receipts were very recently added to Outlook for Mac. It wasn't clear from your post, but was Microsoft telling you that these two features only work with Exchange accounts, or something else?

Edit: I see from the release notes last month for this feature, it currently works with only Office 365 work or school accounts, not even "generic" Exchange accounts.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I agree, I blame Microsoft for poor version on the Mac side.

Yep its due to Microsoft decision, not Apples.

Apple should but those options in Apple Mail software make it professional, forcing Microsoft to have equivalent version on both platform!

Oh! Its Apples fault again?

My point was that Microsoft give you a crippled version for the same price has Windows user!

Yep it IS a Microsoft issue, not Apples.

VincentG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
There are some differences between Mac and Win versions of Outlook. Mac Outlook doesn't need Exchange, unless that's how your organization's mail architecture is set up. But I have Outlook on a home Mac, it gets and sends mail, and does not have Exchange. Outlook 2016 started at 15.1, and updated with some regularity. Now it updates monthly. I've used Outlook 2016 for over 18 months, since about version 15.11.

Win Outlook doesn't need Exchange (I don't have access to it), so I use both side with same connectivity. Win version have more functions.
[doublepost=1501252965][/doublepost]
Delivery and read receipts were very recently added to Outlook for Mac. It wasn't clear from your post, but was Microsoft telling you that these two features only work with Exchange accounts, or something else?

Edit: I see from the release notes last month for this feature, it currently works with only Office 365 work or school accounts, not even "generic" Exchange accounts.

Three conditions one of them is Exchange account for Mac user, not for Win user!
[doublepost=1501253409][/doublepost]
Oh! Its Apples fault again?

I simply think Apple leave it to Microsoft to offer a professional version of Mail, Write, Numbers and Keynote with Microsoft Office. Rumors that Apple keep the home market and doesnt get in the professional market leaving it to Microsoft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.