Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is macOS Catalina Apple's Vista

• YES

Votes: 112 42.7%
  • NO

Votes: 150 57.3%

• Total voters

eric89074

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
Vista was so bad at the start because Microsoft caved to manufacturer pressure and let it run on hardware that wasn’t capable of running it well. I did so many format/XP installs on computers that came with Vista I lost count.

Reactions: RonB2
B/c you're not having issues doesn't equate to others' experiences. If you're fine, keep it that way. Just to be clear, I have not complained about any macos releases so far since 2012 except the catalina. All previous releases have been solid for me. Not this time around unfortunately. Catalina is the buggiest macos since I started using macos.
Understand. But I am just stating my experiences.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
but for those of us who want icloud sync with our data, or a streamlined music app, or a photos app that can handle large libraries... or compatibilty with modern versions of 3rd-party apps... the present is a good place to be.

snow leopard was a great moment in mac os history, but that was then, this is now...

So true, why Snow Leopard was overall the best (after the final update) I don't know. Maybe the guy who at the time was in-charge of OS development is the reason, but left the company (forgot his name).

I still have an old macbook pro 2010 that has Snow Leopard on it and occasionally use for older programs. It runs faster, usb2 ports transfer faster in some things over usb3..? Many things work quicker, faster etc. No issues with it..never.

But...todays demands are more technologically complicated then back in 2010. Cannot compare OS's to Snow Leopard anymore. "Progress" in technology will come with "figuring out" how to make everything work in synergy, so we have to go through the difficulties until it works.

There are new people working in development, the old "pirates" or "weird ones" are gone now. That is probably why all of the "bugs" keep coming and breaking once workable code while the new young ones figure it out. Seems to be the pattern when the next generation takes the reigns..

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
I posted this issue on another thread on the frailty of the Finder, but I think it bears repeating here.

Having just upgraded from an older Mac Pro running El Capitan to a shiny new 2019 Mac Pro running Catalina I can say that Catalina's Finder is a horrid mess. I can't even copy a 50 gig VM file between an external USB 3.0 SSD drive and the internal Mac Pro drive, a process that should take two minutes. The copy action starts, gets about 480 megs into the copy and then stalls. Repeatedly. Even after rebooting, etc. That same drive works perfectly attached to any other Mac I own.

So less than 48 hours after unboxing this $7,000 computer, I have been trying since yesterday evening to copy one file. That's pathetic. My experience with Catalina is so frustrating that I'm actually considering returning the Mac Pro. I probably won't do that because I've waited too long for a new Mac Pro, but it's very disheartening to have such a horrible OS experience with such a capable computer.

I agree that Apple really needs to stop releasing a new MacOS every year and instead spend some time making MacOS more robust.

Reactions: Meuti

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I posted this issue on another thread on the frailty of the Finder, but I think it bears repeating here.

Having just upgraded from an older Mac Pro running El Capitan to a shiny new 2019 Mac Pro running Catalina I can say that Catalina's Finder is a horrid mess. I can't even copy a 50 gig VM file between an external USB 3.0 SSD drive and the internal Mac Pro drive, a process that should take two minutes. The copy action starts, gets about 480 megs into the copy and then stalls. Repeatedly. Even after rebooting, etc. That same drive works perfectly attached to any other Mac I own.

So less than 48 hours after unboxing this $7,000 computer, I have been trying since yesterday evening to copy one file. That's pathetic. My experience with Catalina is so frustrating that I'm actually considering returning the Mac Pro. I probably won't do that because I've waited too long for a new Mac Pro, but it's very disheartening to have such a horrible OS experience with such a capable computer.

I agree that Apple really needs to stop releasing a new MacOS every year and instead spend some time making MacOS more robust.

call apple. what's happening for you should not be happening; it's not a universal issue, so unique to your setup. get it sorted! good luck....

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
IMO High Sierra is the last good macOS. Apple has been doing light mode from the start, but when they added a dark mode they also totally ruined light mode. Apple really had things right in the 10.10 to 10.13 era, and then decided to blow things up, but not in a good way.

I would even go as far as saying that High Sierra is the best Mac operating system since Snow Leopard. It gets updates until this fall. So it's still viable for now.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
IMO High Sierra is the last good macOS. Apple has been doing light mode from the start, but when they added a dark mode they also totally ruined light mode. Apple really had things right in the 10.10 to 10.13 era, and then decided to blow things up, but not in a good way.

I would even go as far as saying that High Sierra is the best Mac operating system since Snow Leopard. It gets updates until this fall. So it's still viable for now.

i wouldn't trade catalina as it is right now for high sierra, a step up from sierra, but... no catalina. :cool:

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
I find some apps can be sluggish on my own 16in MacBook Pro and MacBooks I’ve tried in store. Some weird stuff with the pinch to zoom in Safari, sometimes drag and drop is inconsistently responsive in list or climb view. Is this just poor optimization?

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I refused to use/install Vista. Went from XP to Windows 7. Also skipped Windows 10. Went from Windows 7 to Mojave. And I’ll be skipping Catalina until people don’t have as many issues. Yup, it’s Vista.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I refused to use/install Vista. Went from XP to Windows 7. Also skipped Windows 10. Went from Windows 7 to Mojave. And I’ll be skipping Catalina until people don’t have as many issues. Yup, it’s Vista.

some people have issues (which, surprise! happens with every new mac OS version); you personally don't use it, yet you can decide that "it's Vista"? this is based on a handful of posts on an internet forum? amazing... :rolleyes:

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2015
nobody really purchased vista. it sort of just came with the computer and that was what you'd have to use. Isn't that just what apple does? buy a new macbook pro and it ships with Catalina and you are stuck no going back. IOS is far worse as it is forced on you to upgrade and no going back.

Lihto

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2017
It's a piece of **** software.. this catalina.. never had kernel panic until now.. just use photoshop, capture one, steam. Finder regulary freezes, network problems.. cant do **** only can press power button(because it wont restart, I can move mouse and open safari itd.) and shut it down, then start again... never had problems with mojave :(

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
No.

That was Lion.

Pretty much in every way -
  • changes that a lot of people hated
  • dropped compatibility for some stuff people used
  • ran quite slow on older hardware - it really needed SSD, which wasn't commonplace when it was released
[automerge]1578875526[/automerge]
It's a piece of **** software.. this catalina.. never had kernel panic until now.. just use photoshop, capture one, steam. Finder regulary freezes, network problems.. cant do **** only can press power button(because it wont restart, I can move mouse and open safari itd.) and shut it down, then start again... never had problems with mojave :(

Maybe your hardware is on the way out. I have had zero crashes on Catalina and use this machine for work.

I only just rebooted this morning after 20+ days of hassle-free uptime because my watch wasn't unlocking the machine any more for some reason.

Lihto

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2017
no def this is software problem.. iMac 27 i5 575. 2017

had lion on iMac 2009 27" QC... that mac work till 2017.. upgraded it with ssd,with friend's help remove the display :D that was a long time ago.. because of lion I told myself never to uprade till version 10.X.1 or 2.. upgraded this on 2 and that was mistake.. Funny thing is I bought iMac 2019 i9 580x 40gb of ram xD and that mac is in box 10 days unpacked xD worried if I time machine it that same problems will occure... maybe I should just do clean install on it to mojave and install apps manually... that's like going back on pc :/

Last edited:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
why is it that people who have an issue decide that we all have that issue? every version of mac os (and os x) has had people who are happy, and people who have issues. and every single version of each os has bugs.

still, these 'sky is falling' posts keep coming, as if each person's individual experience speaks for everyone.

this is more a forum of politicians than tech-interested people. so time, (finally) for me to bow out. am tired of the whiners (& am sure i won't be missed) :cool:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I'm not an expert, but I don't know why Apple cut the ability to just run 32-bit programs. I had to say goodbye to some good games I still enjoyed today and bought legitimacy at the mac App Store like 3 years ago.

Because (amongst other reasons) 32 bit applications are less secure.

One of the defences against malware is address space layout randomization and the address space of 32 bit code is only 4 GB.

This makes ASLR less effective, as with an address space that small, searching it in order to exploit something is becoming relatively trivial. Also various security focused CPU features are only available to 64 bit code.

It also means they can drop the 32 bit versions of various OS libraries which means less resources spent maintaining them, less space on disk, etc.

Yeah, losing old stuff sucks, but you can spin up a copy of Lion or later in a virtual machine if you have to to run the old software (get a copy of VMware, install old macOS and your old software in it). Meanwhile the rest of the industry can move on.

Reactions: Adult80HD

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Because (amongst other reasons) 32 bit applications are less secure.

One of the defences against malware is address space layout randomization and the address space of 32 bit code is only 4 GB.

This makes ASLR less effective, as with an address space that small, searching it in order to exploit something is becoming relatively trivial. Also various security focused CPU features are only available to 64 bit code.

It also means they can drop the 32 bit versions of various OS libraries which means less resources spent maintaining them, less space on disk, etc.

Yeah, losing old stuff sucks, but you can spin up a copy of Lion or later in a virtual machine if you have to to run the old software (get a copy of VMware, install old macOS and your old software in it). Meanwhile the rest of the industry can move on.

Tried that, but VMWare limits sound and video memory. Were you able to get sound and more than 128mg of VRAM? I was not using a Windows box, but macOS on all mac hardware. From what I have researched, VMWare has to limit sound and video memory on any Apple OS in virtual machines even if you are using Mac hardware. Even tried the approved by Apple Snow Leopard server, but with little difference.

Anyone have a solution?

Lihto

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2017
Why are you so sure?

Kernel panics are very often hardware related. Post the panic message.
How can be hardware when itunes(music) app is bouncing and wont force quit but I can type in safari and check finder.. but I cant restart iMac only force because it get stucked.. and this is apple app

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
These are all early adopter type issues. If you demand 100% stability then don't adopt new OS's until you know it's proven to be good with what you need it to be.

When High Sierra first came out it was pretty much complete crap, but by 10.13.6 it was the most stable macOS ever IMO. And still is.

Apple keeps offering security updates to at least 2 OS versions back from the current, so there is virtually no legitimate need to upgrade right away. Bottom line... if you want the bleeding edge, then expect to bleed a little yourself. You can rarely have it all in life.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.