is Macrumors site a bit unresponsive these days?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by M. Malone, Sep 3, 2008.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Hello,

Lately, Macrumors site has been a bit slow and unresponsive with me.

For example, when I click a thread I would like to read, it keeps loading the page forever. I have to click multiple times until I get it to finally open. This happens from my home computer using Safari, to my work computers, one using Safari and the other using Firefox on Ubuntu.

I'm wondering if this just me or is anyone else experiencing this :confused:

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Everything is fine here for me, sometimes during speak hours the site may slow down a little bit, but apart from when a Yahoo Buzz page linked to here, I don't think there has been a huge influx of traffic to cause it to slow down as much as your saying.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No problems here with me at all

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Depends on the time of day for me. During the morning and early afternoon (UK time) it's fine gradually slowing towards late evening where it gets a pretty slow. I can only imagine that this is due to the the number of users...

5. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Hello, it seems to work perfect now :D

not sure what it was then

6. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Last night I noticed that avatars were not loading and caused pages to remain loading for quite some time, another user said that one of the servers timed-out and that was most likely the source to that problem. But I have noticed that for the past 2 months it seems that the forums seem slower than usual.

I think that the main reason for the forums being so slow has been the larger amount of people visiting the site than usual. With the announcement and release of the iPhone 3G, the rumors about iPod updates, and major MB/MBP update expected soon, there have been a lot more people visiting, just look at the average amount of people a day. At any given time you can expect there to be 4,000 to 6,000 people visiting this site, and according to arn in another thread, a few years ago we would only see those numbers on days when Apple announced something big, and even then those numbers were an accomplishment.

This site has recently had an explosion in the amount of visitors, and it is wearing down on the servers. A RAM update to the site a month ago seemed to help it slightly, maybe another one is due?

EDIT: Here is a link to a thread started about a month ago where he discussed the responsiveness of the site with the number of users, he responded a few times in it.

Thread Link

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Must say that I have to agree with the OP; recently, I have noticed that the site is slower at times, especially in the evening and night in western Europe, - daytime to evening in the US when more people can be expected to be online. The reason I posted tonight is that it has seemed unusually slow and unresponsive on a few occasions this evening, giving me a Safari "unable to link message" several times.

Cheers and good luck

8. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

a few wks ago this forums would hardly load on any computer I used. Its gotten a little better tho.

9. kabunaru Guest

Q: Is MacRumours web site a little bit un-responsive these days?
    A: No, but there is lack of actual Mac rumours these days. ;)

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Sorry...we'll pull some out of thin air ASAP. ;)

11. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I haven't noticed any major problems.

There shouldn't be any big slowdowns recently, but anything's possible. someone can AIM me when it seems slow so I can look into it:

AIM: chaosmint

arn

12. angels lust macrumors member

Slight bump but just thought I'd share.

Seems this site constantly stops responding regardless of where I'm connected and what computer or browser I'm using. One moment it'll be there, the next it'll be down for 1-5 minutes.

13. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

Server backups may explain the occasional lag in response times. I don't know when/how often the servers here are backed up and whether that's the true case or not. Just a suggestion.

14. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Am time here, seems faster. Pm weekdays, gets a bit sluggish.

15. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The major backup happens Sunday mornings at 3:00 AM Eastern time. The forums stop responding for about ~4 minutes during that time.

Other than that, I do notice occasional sluggishness, but it's generally not too bad. I'm loading so many threads in background tabs that I'm not too concerned if it takes a bit for them to load...I'm kept busy enough with ones I've previously loaded. :)