Is MacRumors slower?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by GGJstudios, Jul 11, 2008.

1. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Are all the discussions about MobileMe and iPhone causing slower performance of the MR site? I've noticed over the past 2 days that when I click any link on the site, such as responding to a post, it takes 30 seconds to over a minute for the page to come up. Every other site I go to is still very fast, so I know it's not my DSL connection or my Safari 4 install. Yes, I've reset Safari a few times, but no change.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

There are a little under 11,000 users on MR at the moment. It's going to cause some slowdown.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

And each one of those people is looking at an iPhone 3G thread, thinking about starting one, or starting one right now.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's quite possible that we will have broken a few site records today, so all things considering, things are holding up. We don't get the 'site busy' splash pages anymore.

5. bartelby macrumors Core

I did earlier. Or yesterday.

6. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

It has been slow for also.

11,000 users would slow it down, but traffic hasn't increased that much the last two days?

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Hey, at least its working. Unlike some peoples music stores :p.

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'm quite impressed with how the site's held up. Keynotes attract a lot of attention, but for only a short amount of time. This, however, has been going on for a few days.

9. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Yes, the site is holding up well considering all the traffic about the Apple sightings.

10. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

ya, the site's been under heavy load the past few days.

Like people have said, we can handle the spike traffic to these numbers 10-15,000, but rarely is it sustained over such a long period of time.

As it turns out, I think the database was the limiting factor, and that's harder to adjust on the fly.

all in all, a success I'd say. :)

arn

11. CMD is me macrumors 6502

I've noticed it's been taking more time to load when posting. What's up with that?