Is Mail Your Favorite Email Program?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Huntn, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Quick Summary: I used to use Eudora and loved it. I'm not so happy with Mail. What do you think is the best email client currently available for Mac?

My goal is to have a relatively uncluttered unread inbox that only contains unread emails that I have not categorized with filters. I also want my replies to stay in the same mailbox as the original. Is this possible with Mail?

Regarding filters in Mail it does not appear that setting up a filter for "to" works as when replying to an email. For example I have a mail box set up with a filter that says emails from Apple and emails to Apple goes into my Apple email folder. All of my replies end up in the "sent" folder even though I have created this filter for them to go to the Apple email folder. Is there a solution?

Filtering unread email: I get quite a bit of subscribed emails and I don't necessarily read them immediately on receipt but I want those auto moved out of my inbox. With regular filters and regular mailboxes, the Blockbuster, Sears, forum reply notifications, etc are auto moved out of the Inbox. Is this possible with Mail's smart mailboxes? Can I setup a smart mailbox that only shows unread mail that has not been categorized by another filter? I'm suspecting with Smart mail boxes I'm going to be stuck with the main inbox with all the unread emails in it.

Finally, I currently have Mail setup with real mailboxes and filters. The other problem I've noticed in Mail is even though I have set up filters they don't always work. I get email from different accounts and frequently I open an inbox and there are emails I know should be filtered but they are not until I do the "run filters" command. I have no idea why that is...

Thanks!

2. Plastonick macrumors newbie

Yes, mail is my favourite. Thunderbird from Mozilla is a good alternative though for those who prefer Firefox to Safari :)

3. DCB1 macrumors member

I have been using Entourage on my MBP... I like it. I am also looking at Thunderbird for my iMac.

I am having serious issues with Safari so I am using Firefox and I really like it.

Peace

4. jmaquarry macrumors member

mail.app sure has its shortcomings -
    its a pain in the _ _ _ and more often than not presents me with numerous problems -
    but its a love affair that cant be broken. Mail is certainly my favourite email software despite its faults.

Prior to using Mail.app i found a great alternative was simply using web based gmail (as anywhere you find internet connection you can find a browser) and added it to igoogle so i could also see my mail. It has alot of functionality

5. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Mail on Mac and Thunderbird on Windows.

Can't beat it. Mail is so fast at handling heaps of emails.

6. sclough macrumors regular

This probably isn't what you're looking for, but I really like mailplane (http://mailplaneapp.com/) . I really like the way Google does email and with their free email hosting for private domains on Google Apps, I've been very happy with it.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Are you going to revive every dead thread to post this?

8. DCB1 macrumors member

Wow.... nice. I was just answering a question. I did a search and this what came up.

Be a little nicer.

Peace