Is Mavericks Ready For Prime Time?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by slide023, Oct 26, 2013.

1. slide023 macrumors member

slide023

Is Mavericks really ready for the public. IMO no it isn't. It works well for some, but for the majority I would say it's more of a headache. That's just my opinion.
    I don't know why Apple had to rush this out. Makes me wonder why they just let it go for free.

Slide023

2. Andy-V macrumors 6502

What makes you think that's the case?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Can you cite any sources to back up your connection that the majority of people are experiencing backups, or is that more of an estimation on your part?

I've found it to be a stable upgrade that doesn't appear to have any major show stopping bucks. Its not causing me any headaches.

4. ElliottG macrumors member

Me either.

Keep in mind that the people who post their problems on these forums are a VERY small percentage compared to the number of people who actually own the rest of these computers...so saying that a lot of people are having problems is a statement which can't really be verified.

5. ellie2000 macrumors newbie

Maybe I am missing something here, but I don't understand what those headaches would be? It runs very smooth here, on both my macs!? :eek:

6. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

I agree with the others. You've got that backwards. It works well for the vast majority, while for a very few it may be more of a headache. (Look at the Mavericks ratings in the MAS for confirmation.)

I've confirmed a few bugs, but none are critical. Most I could go months (or forever) without accidentally stumbling upon.

7. slide023 thread starter macrumors member

slide023

Yea, maybe everyone is right, it should be that the majority are running smoothly, and the minority have headaches.

I can't quite pinpoint all the headaches, but it only takes perusing this forum, and others. Apple Communities ....etc.

Apologies all around

Slide023

8. Snarl macrumors member

So far so good, installed on two late 2012 Macbook Pro's, one with 16GB and the other with 8GB. Replacing updated Mountain Lion installs.

9. benwiggy macrumors 68020

I know it's blasphemy to say so, but when Snow Leopard was first launched, there were quite a few rough edges. There were quite a few known issues and some people went back to Leopard until a couple of point releases had been introduced.

10. 844957 Suspended

i can't believe people don't really care that finder doesn't provide previews or quick look for any videos that aren't in h264

sure just remove functionality and people are like its ok i only use my OS for safari anyway

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The issue is that people come to those forums to complain or ask help for a problem. Those that don't have a problem usually don't visit Apple community forums or even post here that 10.9 is running smoothly.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Most releases were like this. Some were smoother for some than others. I found Leopard to be a headache over Tiger for me (clean install). Considering I did an update from Lion no less, I think this has been pretty smooth for me even with a few niggles like Mail.

Personally, I think the bigger issue is what Apple removed from previous releases or changed behaviour that we have gotten used to. But again, twas always thus and we will adapt.

13. UncleSchnitty macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

I think that is exactly right. Most of the time people post when they have a problem or an issue (myself very much included) not man people start threads saying everything is fine.
    For me Mavericks has been fine. I haven't found any issues yet. For everyday use Mavericks had the same impact on my computer as a software update. I guess if I had to look for a gripe its I wish multiscreen had a controller to shut screens off but thats not really a bug or problem.

14. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

Working fine for me as well. A couple of small things like scrolling in Safari is a little bumpy at times but reported that.

Overall very pleased with this OS and roll out with the other updates.

15. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I don't know if Mavericks is ready for "Prime Time" or not, but I am ready for "Prime Time." :D

Thus far, I haven't had any problems with Mavericks. I like it.

16. UncleSchnitty macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

I guess looking threw a lot of the "HELP!!" posts recently the biggest issues have been either freeware apps that haven't been/wont be upgraded with Mavericks support and other paid software that hasn't been upgraded for support. It has only been like 3 days and I don't really blame Mavericks or developers for this. It takes time to upgrade programs especially since the "good" developers wait until final release to finish up programing and not just use a beta and hope things are exactly the same.

17. Eithanius macrumors 65816

18. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

No. Worst experience since 10.0.

I am not happy with Mavericks. For me the system is definitely slower then the previous ML. I have a fast quad core 2.2 CPU MBP fomr 2011.

My main issue is a hue scrolling lag. I am not even sure if calling it a lag is appropriate. It is more a complete hang in applications like preview. If I open a pdf from mail in preview I cannot scroll through it initially. Waiting some minutes helps and it scrolls extremly laggy!

Some hangs in Mail etc....

Anyone else is experiencing this behaviour? Maybe it has to do with the RAM vodoo that Mavericks does in the background. No idea really.

Beachballs too much

19. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I don't know if you should be let off the hook that easy. Have YOU experienced issues with Mavericks? If so, then what happened?

And if not... then why add to the noise? People will now see this thread as yet another "Mavericks is messed up" thread and assume the worst, when in reality there may not be any meaningful i this thread to add to whether it IS bad or not.

20. 50548 Guest

Apart from a few already-solved post-installation crashes in Mail and iTunes (and minor bugs such as wrong highlight colors when selecting messages in Mail), I must say that Mavericks is pretty much rock-solid for me.

21. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

It takes a man with STEEL goolies to apologise..... So well done to you sir....

22. MacInTheCrack macrumors member

I've loaded it on 5 machines so far with zero issues. I kept waiting for a train wreck but it never happened..

23. phsphoenix macrumors member

I just spent 30 min troubleshooting a login problem because I wanted to remove MagicPrefs from the OS Startup. The only way I could get Mavericks to log me in again was to put MagicPrefs back.

24. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

i'm gonna wait a few updates before upgrading to Mavericks. I always do just to be safe.

25. slide023 thread starter macrumors member

slide023

Cmdr,

On my last clean install of Mavericks I also noticed a lag in launching programs, and the beach ball issue has affected a lot of people regardless of what was said by those who kind of called me out in the beginning of this thread.

Regardless there are a lot of issues with Mavericks, not for everyone, but for enough people to be upset by them; myself included.

Slide023