Is MobileMe right for me???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JRod993, Jan 28, 2009.

1. JRod993 macrumors member

As I said in some previous threads, I am getting ready to go to college for Computer Science & I have an iPhone 3G, I am getting ready to buy my first mac, but is MobileMe worth the money for a college student??

2. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Well I don't know if it would apply to you as much.

But if you happen to be forgetful, MobileMe could definitely have it's advantages.

Let's say you forget a major programming file at home accidently, or you lose it on your computer.

You could use a Mac at school to access your files on your home computer.

Or you could backup all of your programming files/folders onto the Online disk that MobileMe offers and retrieve your files from anywhere in case you forget/lose them.

But these are more "once in a while" situations. So I'm not sure if it would be completely worth the money in the end.

Hopefully other members can give you more insight on the matter.

3. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

As an FYI, I bought MobileMe on eBay for $50. If that helps the decision, you might check there (or elsewhere) for cheaper copies. Not sure if there's an education price though. There might be.

4. JRod993 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

5. matperk macrumors 6502

Also, if your school doesn't have exchange, the mobileme syncing to iPhone is very beneficial. Calendar/Contacts especially.

6. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

If you are looking for a backup that you need just in case you forget something, use Live Mesh.

7. aristobrat macrumors G5

MobileMe also offers a free trial, so you can kick the tires to see if you want it. If so, then def. buy from eBay or amazon!

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its great but like with Applecare buy it from Ebay and save 60-80%

I use mine for webhosting and to test sites and its really useful for that.

9. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

MobileMe is very overpriced for what it is. You basically get email and a bunch of storage space online, both of which can be had for free elsewhere.

As for Back to My Mac, it requires a manageable connection at home, so if you're staying in a dorm where the University provides the internet access, don't bank on being able to use it to connect, the required ports will often be blocked.

If you only have one computer it's pretty useless too. Calendars and contacts will be synced between your two machines when you connect your phone to your computer.

10. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Well, it's overpriced for what you would use it for. It's totally worth the price for me just so my wife and I can keep our contacts/calendars synced on our iPhones. And that's just one feature.

MobileMe certainly isn't worth it for everyone. But for some people, it's a bargain.

11. JRod993 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Do I need a credit card to use start using the trial??

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, but you can remove it later on if you decide MobileMe isn't for you.

FYI, I am a college student and have found MobileMe to be useful for me in many occasions.

13. matperk macrumors 6502

Also remember too you can have a website for your resume and stuff and it's very easy to setup. Can't hurt to have a website as a student these days--that's probably a thing you'd worry about closer to graduation, but it's fun to do either way. :)

14. JRod993 thread starter macrumors member

Cool! Just how do I do that? lol

15. matperk macrumors 6502

Once you are on your mac, all you do is make a website in iWeb and once you're done, you click publish, and it uploads it to your MobileMe account. You can get a domain like myname.com, but the web.me.com/myname (what you're given) is good enough.

16. Yanwoo macrumors regular

You can replace the features of mobile me with other services. There is a simplicity of getting it all from Apple. In balance, I've decided to allow my mobile me account expire and use the replacements below.

I use https://www.nuevasync.com/ (free) to sync my google calendar and contacts to my iphone (my iphone then acts as the sync to Address Book - don't really use ical). I use sugarsync ($) to sync up my 2 macs with the added benefits of cloud backup and I can access all my stuff on the go using their iphone app. I use RemoteTap ($) to connect back to my macs from my iphone.

17. ViM macrumors regular

is sugarsync really instant as it seems in the video demonstration? Surely it takes a while to upload to the server and then download back. So say i try something using the edge network, it would take ages?