Is My 3GS Repairable and Is It Worth It?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eawmp1, Aug 24, 2011.

1. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

A power surge from a car charger caused my iPhone 3GS to go into recovery mode. DFU restore resulted in dreaded 1002 error message. Trip to Apple Store confirmed it was a goner.

There's a place nearby that says they repair iPhones. Is this something that can be repaired? If so, is it worth it (probably would repair and sell)?

2. dave006 macrumors 68020

Did they offer an Out of Warranty price of $199 at the Genius Bar?

In my area a good quality iPhone 3GS should get you about $300 before the new iPhone is announced. Since you would be getting a replacement that has a 90 warranty both you and the purchaser would be protected.

Dave

3. eawmp1 thread starter macrumors 601

eawmp1

Cannot be without my phone due to professional obligations. I opted to get an iPhone 4 and do a SIM swap with my wife when iPhone 5 is released. I still have my 3GS corpse I want to get some return from, so I thought a repair and sale.

4. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

Likely an IC onboard has fried.Does it charge? If not, then you need a new PMIC. It's a pretty common issue, caused 99% of the time by unclean voltage from cheap 3rd party adapters. I've performed the repair a couple times, and it's not easy (Remove chip, clean epoxy & pads, reball new IC, solder new IC) and that's without damaging other components around it. The new ICs are ~$30 and are hard to find, so a local cell shop may not be able to help (but check with them first).

If it was me in this situation, I'd cut my losses and sell it on eBay. I've been buying these for $50 via Buy It Now, since that's the parts value. My advice is list it and put the cash towards a new iPhone. Max I've seen these go for is $150, but that's water damage, which is not that difficult to repair.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

6. eawmp1 thread starter macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) If I scrap it is there possibility sensitive on board info can be recovered by the buyer?
    2) what do you mean it's not a goner? What would be your solution to this issue?

7. a2mi macrumors newbie

I find myself in a similar boat, eawmp1. How did this resolve?

My screen is blank and replacing the LCD/glass/digitizer has not been successful. I need to get data off the phone as well. Unfortunately, the phone is locked and cannot sync from iTunes.

kbfr08, is there ICs (e.g. display IC?) available on the Internet? How about any instructions for solder etc?

My phone charges, rings, etc. Just no LCD. Could this be an issue with an IC on the logic board?

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I'll tell you this much. Remove one IC, and say bye bye to your iPhone main board.

9. eawmp1 thread starter macrumors 601

eawmp1

And that's probably what happened to my phone. The repair place tried and gave me the option of paying for the work to get a paperweight, or have them take it in trade.

10. a2mi macrumors newbie

Swap IC on iphone 3gs

My iPhone is already a paper weight.

Has anyone ever heard of swapping ICs (display or Flash memory) on a phone succuessfully?