Is my 8600M GT dying?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fatlittlenick, Jul 22, 2010.

1. fatlittlenick macrumors newbie

fatlittlenick

I've had my early '08 15" Macbook Pro for nearly 2 years now, and so far the graphics card has been good to me, seeing as I've read the articles it's problems.

Anyways, recently, when i open photoshop, I get these strange purple and black glitchy blocks around the sides on the canvas area (see attached photo below)

[​IMG][/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

They started out being smaller black glitches, but it seems to be getting more spread out, but if i use the grab tool and move the canvas around, It erases them.

Should I be concerned? Should I go over to the apple store and ask for a replacement (I know the graphics card has a 3 year warranty) or seeing as tho it's not a huge annoyance, should i wait a while?
    Thanks in advance!

-N

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Yup, thats the card going out. I'd take it in as soon as you get a chance. A lot of them will eventually quit displaying anything at all.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yep. Those series are known to have problems and Apple should replace it for free.

4. creative78 macrumors regular

creative78

I agree with the others, get it looked at ASAP before it totally fails. You might want to print a copy of http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377 and take it with you to the Apple store.

5. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

If you can reproduce the issue every time even after restarts, then I'd take it in. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry. I have the same MBP and I had graphics issues before with older versions of Leopard but software updates seemed to fix them.

6. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

yep tough luck..! pick ur laptop up and run as fast as u can to a apple store.. no i am serious.. dont hold off on it till something else goes wrong with it...

7. fatlittlenick thread starter macrumors newbie

fatlittlenick

Tough luck indeed.
    Thanks guys for all the feedback, I'm going in on Monday to see what they can do, and it's funny because I only found out about this buggy 8600 news in January this year, so i was furious! Also, when i bought this brand new, a month later the unibody MBPs came out, which was such BS (then again, I did next to no research on buying, so i guess it's my fault in that respect)

cheers :)

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

That is in fact the graphics card "dying" or "going out." You should take it in to the Apple store for a genius bar appt. as soon as possible!