Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Just 10 minutes ago I opened my MacBook Pro and noticed a smudge at the top left corner of the screen that wasn't there yesterday. I started wiping it off with the black microfiber cloth that came with it and the smudge just got bigger. That's when I realized this probably isn't a smudge, but the anti-reflective coating rubbing off.

Photo:

Photo 08-01-2017 13 40 29.jpg

I had taken extra care with this machine, it sits on my desk all day and I only ever clean it gently with the included cloth that I keep dust free. I don't use any products or anything else, just the cloth and don't apply pressure. I can say I'm way more careful than most people, so this can't be my fault.

I've heard about this issue before and I've heard that Apple will fix it out of warranty, but I don't know the details. It seems like even then the computer mustn't be older than 3 years, which this one is.

This is a Late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro (15 inch) that I bought in November 2013 with AppleCare. My AppleCare document says it's covered until 30 Oct 2016.

Is Apple known to make exceptions when the warranty has expired just over 2 months ago?

So far the issue is only affecting the bezel of the screen, but when I touched it with the cloth it spread alarmingly easily and instantly tripled in size. It's just a matter of time before it starts affecting the whole screen. I work in image retouching and my specialty involves removing dust and scratches from high resolution photos, and this is really not going to do me any good. I won't be able to afford a repair anytime soon either, I was expecting this computer to last me a few more years.

Is there any way I can get them to fix it for free? What can I say to increase my chances?

If not, is there anything I can do to stop the issue getting worse?

monkeydax

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
Just 10 minutes ago I opened my MacBook Pro and noticed a smudge at the top left corner of the screen that wasn't there yesterday. I started wiping it off with the black microfiber cloth that came with it and the smudge just got bigger. That's when I realized this probably isn't a smudge, but the anti-reflective coating rubbing off.

Photo:

View attachment 682461

I had taken extra care with this machine, it sits on my desk all day and I only ever clean it gently with the included cloth that I keep dust free. I don't use any products or anything else, just the cloth and don't apply pressure. I can say I'm way more careful than most people, so this can't be my fault.

I've heard about this issue before and I've heard that Apple will fix it out of warranty, but I don't know the details. It seems like even then the computer mustn't be older than 3 years, which this one is.

This is a Late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro (15 inch) that I bought in November 2013 with AppleCare. My AppleCare document says it's covered until 30 Oct 2016.

Is Apple known to make exceptions when the warranty has expired just over 2 months ago?

So far the issue is only affecting the bezel of the screen, but when I touched it with the cloth it spread alarmingly easily and instantly tripled in size. It's just a matter of time before it starts affecting the whole screen. I work in image retouching and my specialty involves removing dust and scratches from high resolution photos, and this is really not going to do me any good. I won't be able to afford a repair anytime soon either, I was expecting this computer to last me a few more years.

Is there any way I can get them to fix it for free? What can I say to increase my chances?

Definitely seems like the AR coating is peeling. There is a good chance you can get this replaced with Apple. I believe the official replacement programme is over.

I would definitely advice you to get in touch with Apple support first over the phone, let them know your warranty pretty much just expired, and you know this is a known problem. They'd either ask you to send it in straight away to get it checked, but you can try to get some assurance and diagnosis from them before sending it in by asking to send some pictures and see what they say.

You should have a good chance of getting it replaced for free.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
it and the smudge just got bigger. That's when I realized this probably isn't a smudge, but the anti-reflective coating rubbing off.
Yup, its the coating coming off.

will most likely fix it for free.
Not necessarily
Apple Launches Quality Program for MacBook Pro Anti-Reflective Coating Issues

Apple will replace Retina displays on affected MacBook or MacBook Pro models for free within three years from the date of original purchase,

If the OP has a 2013 MBP, it may be outside of that window of time

Reactions: tryrtryrtryrt

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Man, it seems quality control is missing in China lately. It might not be a bad idea for Apple to move completely out of China for design and production.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

You've got "staingate".

Take it to a brick-n-mortar Apple Store.

They may possibly replace it for free.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Thanks everyone for the tips, I will go to an Apple authorized repair store soon and get it checked out there. I'm in Hungary, which isn't a country known for good customer service, so I expect they'll do everything in their power to turn me down, but being Apple I have a glimmer of hope...

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I wouldn't even accept repair, you said you just opened it. Let Apple deal with the defective screen and tell them you want a refund or replacement.

iRunSlow

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2016
Toronto
Your anti-coating is peeling off as mentioned by others. I also have a Late 2013 rMBP 15''. It is well recognized issue and Apple has offered and fixed mine and others screens free of charge.

When you go to Apple Store tell them it is an official recognized problem and many others have received LCD assembly replacements for free.

The replacement LCD panel is given 1-year warranty itself.

Best wishes.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
I wouldn't even accept repair, you said you just opened it. Let Apple deal with the defective screen and tell them you want a refund or replacement.
Sorry I meant "I just opened the lid" as in woke it from sleep, otherwise it's a 3+ year machine so I'm out of AppleCare unfortunately...

shenhongzhou

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2017

Photo:

View attachment 682461

Hello,
I have exactly the same problem with you, with a macbook pro older than 3 years.
Have you got your screen replaced for free?
Thank you!

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I have just had that happen for the second time on my '14 MBP 13". Both times Apple fixed it without questions or hesitation, though I did still have remaining AppleCare in both instances. That said, as others have mentioned above, I believe its an issue they are well aware of. They do have the ability to accept "good will" claims outside of warranty. I am hoping that they will do this for you, considering their knowledge of the issue with that display.

The first time, they sent mine out for repair, that was earlier on in the life of the laptop. This past time, they had the displays in-house and did the repair work there. Having the displays in stock for in-house repair, may be an indicator of the scope and frequency of the issue.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Hello,
I have exactly the same problem with you, with a macbook pro older than 3 years.
Have you got your screen replaced for free?
Thank you!

Apple replaced the screen on my Mother's 2013 for free, which was out of warranty at the time and past the 3 year marker that the program is technically only supposed to apply to. I took it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider as opposed to the Apple Store, as I know the technicians who perform the work, and the Apple Stores in my area get so busy that I think the employees in them are sometimes overwhelmed (I'm talking 5+ hour walk-in wait times and appointments booking within just minutes of becoming available!)

shenhongzhou

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2017
Apple replaced the screen on my Mother's 2013 for free, which was out of warranty at the time and past the 3 year marker that the program is technically only supposed to apply to. I took it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider as opposed to the Apple Store, as I know the technicians who perform the work, and the Apple Stores in my area get so busy that I think the employees in them are sometimes overwhelmed (I'm talking 5+ hour walk-in wait times and appointments booking within just minutes of becoming available!)

That's cool!
I'll go to the local Apple Store and try it soon.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Update: I just got back from the Apple Reseller with my repaired MacBook Pro! They replaced the entire screen/lid assembly totally for free. The repair only took one day. In the mean time, Apple now officially extended the warranty for this particular issue, but they agreed to fix my screen even before that happened.

They were quite nice and it wasn't difficult to get them to do it. At first they said it's out of warranty so they can't help, but with just a little bit of pushing, they said they'll "check for an exception". They had the machine for a day for inspection and then said they'd do it but they're out of replacement parts. It took more than two months before they could replace my screen because there was a huge shortage of screens for this model, but in the end they did it, so all is well.

This happened in Hungary and I went to one of the iStyle stores, for those wondering.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Update: I just got back from the Apple Reseller with my repaired MacBook Pro! They replaced the entire screen/lid assembly totally for free. The repair only took one day. In the mean time, Apple now officially extended the warranty for this particular issue, but they agreed to fix my screen even before that happened.

They were quite nice and it wasn't difficult to get them to do it. At first they said it's out of warranty so they can't help, but with just a little bit of pushing, they said they'll "check for an exception". They had the machine for a day for inspection and then said they'd do it but they're out of replacement parts. It took more than two months before they could replace my screen because there was a huge shortage of screens for this model, but in the end they did it, so all is well.

This happened in Hungary and I went to one of the iStyle stores, for those wondering.

Glad you got your computer fixed.

mittooboy

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017

Photo:

View attachment 682461

[doublepost=1509679588][/doublepost]https://www.change.org/p/apple-ceo-staingate-all-over-again-we-want-apple-to-listen

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

mittooboy

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
No I have not bought a used MacBook pro. I purchased it in late 2013 and brand new from a local dealer of apple in GOA, INDIA. I have the bills to prove it. It was also registered for AppleCare program.
I just missed it though as i was not aware. Also, Apple support said the repair program was for early 2013 models and not late 2013. So it appears that late 2013 models also do have the same issue. As i have just discovered another late 2013 model having the same issue.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 9.26.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 9.26.59 AM.png
    967.8 KB · Views: 804

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
I may be wrong here but here goes nothing.

If it was bought new, then the MacBook Pro wouldn't be registered already and the warranty wouldn't of started yet since it wasn't registered. Since it clearly states that repairs & service coverage is expired, It couldn't be a brand new late 2013 MacBook Pro.

Also, you said it was already registered for AppleCare. I translate that as whoever sold you the MacBook Pro already bought AppleCare for it in the past. Also, I think you are only allowed to buy AppleCare 1 year from the date of purchase of the MacBook Pro. Don't think it matters when you buy it, just as long as it wasn't previously registered by someone else in the past.

Here's what it says on the Apple Mac Warranty: (link for the whole document):

WHAT IS COVERED BY THIS WARRANTY?
Apple warrants the Apple-branded hardware product and accessories contained in the original packaging ("Apple Product") against defects in materials and workmanship when used normally in accordance with Apple's published guidelines for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase by the end-user purchaser ("Warranty Period"). Apple’s published guidelines include but are not limited to information contained in technical specifications, user manuals and service communications.

I'm sorry but I recommend going back to where you bought it and either get your money back or exchange it for a brand new machine (legit).

mittooboy

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
Absolutely u are wrong... As i have said before, I purchased it in the year 2013, along with apple care and not now in 2017 as a used machine as you say.

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
Your anti-coating is peeling off as mentioned by others. I also have a Late 2013 rMBP 15''. It is well recognized issue and Apple has offered and fixed mine and others screens free of charge.

When you go to Apple Store tell them it is an official recognized problem and many others have received LCD assembly replacements for free.

The replacement LCD panel is given 1-year warranty itself.

Best wishes.

no, only 3 months warranty for any repairs by Apple (after warranty)

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Absolutely u are wrong... As i have said before, I purchased it in the year 2013, along with apple care and not now in 2017 as a used machine as you say.

My mistake and I apologize. Not sure what else you can do besides going to an apple store and explain the situation (if you haven't done that already). Since your warranty & AppleCare is expired, it may be just time to get a new MacBook.

Wish you luck but I think doing the change.org way may all for naught.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.