Is my battery broken?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by getmygranola, Apr 7, 2009.

1. getmygranola macrumors newbie

I have a macbook that I bought brand new about 18 months ago and has always worked perfectly. The other night I packed up to go home from college and turned it off. When I went to turn it on today, it wouldn't power on. I thought it was dead so I plugged it in then it turned on but it wont charge. As soon as I unplug my charger the whole laptop shuts off. Where it usually shows the percent of battery left it just shows an "x" and says "no batteries available." I've tried taking the battery out and messing with the settings but it wont stay on unless I have it plugged in.

2. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Sounds like a defective battery. If you've got AppleCare, you can tell us whether AppleCare pays for this (AppleCare wouldn't pay for the normal degradation of a battery, but what you have doesn't seem to be the normal thing). Since your MacBook works with the charger connected, the charger isn't the problem, so it seems to be the battery.

Either get an appointment at an Apple Store, or find someone with a MacBook to try swapping batteries, so you can find out if it is the battery or the MacBook (if your battery doesn't work in someone else's MacBook but their battery works in yours, then your battery is gone. If your battery works in another MacBook, then your MacBook is at fault somehow). If the battery is at fault, you can get new MacBook batteries on eBay quite cheaply.