Is my Candyshell fake or just a bad one? *Pics*

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jabingla2810, Oct 26, 2012.

1. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

There is a lot of access rubber/plastic in a lot of places.

Especially around the power button and camera cut out.

Something I never expected either was the sharp edge between the sides and back of the device which is shown in the last pic.

You can see this in the pics attached.

Am I just being picky?
    Is yours similar?

Doesn't seem great quality to me.

Attached Files:

2. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

It seems genuine from comparison of other candy shell's I've seen in store. Not to be harsh but cheap cases like these are mass produced and sometimes aren't that great in quality. I have an incipio KickSnap for my 5 and it's the same cheap materials as speck products.

I'm just waiting for a mophie case:)

3. jabingla2810 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks, yeah was thinking I was expecting too much.

It's weird, you have a hope or feeling about what the case will look and feel like, but it just didn't meet my hight expectations.

Think ill keep it because it cost me £20

4. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

Well if you bought it at a store just return it and get another one. If you bought it from Speck, send it back and as for a new one.

5. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

all that extra flashing from the molding process will wear away after a few days-weeks of use and the sharp edges will soften up too

6. jabingla2810 thread starter macrumors 68020

Good to know, cheers

7. kyellowness macrumors regular

Yeah, looks real to me. I got a Speck case and i had a lot of that excess rubber material on mine as well.

8. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

A lot of CandyShells have that excess rubber on the edges. If you use your fingernail and scratch it against the plastic, it comes off and looks flush. Worked for me.

9. Rocko1, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013

Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Here is a picture of a fake/real Candyshell. I purchased the fake on Amazon. It was fullfilled by a third party vendor who has a good rating. The fake feels cheap compared to the real. And no, a real Candyshell won't have rubber pieces needing to be plucked like the fake.

Black is fake. White is real.

Attached Files:

10. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Take it back
    Only £12 from tesco online

11. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

Interesting.

I bought my original one from Best Buy at full retail. It felt great - smooth, good button action. I broke it in a nasty fall (phone was fine). I bought another from Amazon for $16, and it feels stiff, rough, and the buttons are very stiff. I chalked it up to manufacturer variation. It didn't occur to me it was a knockoff. Maybe I'll go back to Best Buy.

12. mackandproud macrumors 6502

I've purchased 5 cases now. All are of the cheap plastic and rubber/silicone variation. All feel cheap and plasticky, and/or cheap and rubbery/flimsy.

These are all cheap cases. The enormous demand for iphones drives up the price astronomically to $50 to $130 in some "cases," SMH.

These cases probably shouldn't cost more than $5 each AT MOST. The markup must be astronomical. I can't imagine production costs being more than a dollar for the plastic only cases, or more than two dollars for the plastic and rubber cases.

13. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

The knockoff Specks are AMAZING in terms of knockoff ability and almost look like the real thing. There is a subtle difference in quality. Curiously, they use a slightly different packaging than the genuine one, although even that is high quality.

I am 99% certain I bought a knockoff from Amazon.

14. mackandproud macrumors 6502

It's really amazing how huge the counterfeit marketplace is. I suppose it was inevitable given the popularity of the iphone and the ease of creating knockoffs of simple plastic products.

15. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

I have one and it's got a ton of imperfections

16. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

I wouldn't say amazing. They did a good job of copying it, but it's no where near the OEM for fit, finish and material quality. They spent more time on the box than anything.

The tell on the iPhone 5 case is the ports on the bottom. Look at the pic I posted. Black is fake, white is OEM.

17. mysterydate macrumors 6502

mysterydate

Some non-plastic cases in that price range are worth it. ;) I can't say I've seen a plastic or rubber case that has compelled me to pay more than a 10.

To be honest I think you've overestimated the cost of a plastic/rubber case. Most of that ilk is fully bonded in one shot, and requires no hand work to make or package.

18. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Yeah, I didn't mean amazing as in quality, but in how well they copied it. Definitely poorer quality than original, which is why I returned my knockoff.

I usually expect knockoffs where it is easy to tell they are fake, but the Specks are so close that it is really hard to tell.

19. mackandproud macrumors 6502

No doubt. These are all one piece molds, rubber or plastic. I'm simply saying we shouldn't be paying more than $5 for any of these rubber or plastic based cases. I don't know how much these cases cost to produce, but factoring in shipping and packaging, the total cost of production might be a couple of dollars.

My current setup, an otterbox commuter makes me cringe every time I look at it. The rubber flops around like a limp noodle. The outer plastic barely holds it in place; the rubber flops out like a roll of fat on a friday night club hoppin' muffin top without it's plastic support.

Can't believe I paid $16 for this piece of garbage.

The belkin candy grip (highly rated) is a super cheap piece of plastic; it's about as high quality as the plastic used for the utensils at dollar tree. They're selling those cases at $20 a pop!! Criminal!!!

20. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

That's business, and that's what provides us with these products (their ability to make a profit).

Is charging $20 for the Belkin criminal? Not really. It's about on par with other products of this category. Plus, the quality of the Belkin is extremely high if you look at the precision (lack of sharp edges, smooth finish, consistency, etc.).

Yes, they have a huge profit margin. But you try creating a case out of thin air and telling me what you would charge for it. They have to design it, tool it, market it, import it, pay corporate taxes, etc.etc. It's not worth it unless you are making millions in profits.

21. ryanaaaah macrumors newbie

I have a fake in blue, can't tell the difference with yours...

22. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Here are a few more examples.

On the real case, the outer plastic case protrudes inward to the softer inner rubber lining-as seen by the white vertical lines. The real case also has a defined separate circular rubber button sections for the volume rocker, the fake has one oblong indentation. The serial number stamp is also quite different.

Attached Files:

23. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Just got a fake off of Amazon.com marketplace reseller. Other than it looking very cheaply made, mine had the seams down the middle of the side as shown in your picture, plus the volume buttons had a glossy coating. I sent it back. Thanks for your post! :cool:

24. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Glad I could help. Only buy on Amazon when it's fulfilled by Amazon. I have been burned twice now. Lesson learned.