Is my iBook covered by the recall?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by metroid87706, Aug 4, 2008.

1. metroid87706 macrumors regular

metroid87706

Hi.
    I just started getting issues with my iBooks display. I noticed that there is a recall for them here: http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

Now, my serial starts with UV33015. So I can be elligable. But now, if I take this in to my local :apple: Store, will it be replaced? Do you think they have ay logic boards?

Also, if they don't, what do I do? Am I screwed?

My buddy said they might give me a MacBook replacement if they don't have the stuff to fix it. You think so?

I made an appointment for tomorrow at 1PM.

What do you think? Thanks for your help!

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I dont know...they stopped the program over 2 years ago. Its worth a shot though.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Did you actually read the recall notice? It seems to expired for most by March 2005, and for all by 2006 or so.

4. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

Still. I mean, I didnt know it existed untill I had the issue.

They better do something. A $1500 product, down the tubes if they dont.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Call Apple Support and ask; the Store will have to ask Apple Support as well.

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Reread your first sentence. You didn't have any problems for the entire period of the recall, but two years after it was past the covered period. In other words, the recall never covered you, because you weren't affected.

That $1500 has been amortized over a good number of years. Apple doesn't really owe you anything at this point. That's the way it works sometimes.

7. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

It DOES cover me. I have the serial in the range. I mean, it happens at different time for everyone. It wont happen to every iBook at the same time.

Like, they should owe me something. To me, a recall can't just end. It doesn't seem right. thats like them saying, "Oh, the battery recall ends, so now, if you have an affected battery, your loss, it might blow up on you, because you didn't know this existed till now."

I'm kinda disappointed now. So, now I have nothing. Sweet. There goes all my data I can't get back and all my work. Oh, and the $200 some dollars I sunk into it upgrading.

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

It covered your serial within the stated recall period, period, and only for affected machines. If there wasn't a problem as noted in the recall, then you wouldn't have been covered anyway. Can't be much simpler than that.

Recalls are not for life in any product line, whether computers or cars, unless they involve a safety issue. Even then, there's a reasonableness standard that has to be applied. No manufacturer can be expected to keep repair parts indefinitely, particularly when the device in question has been long lifecycled out. The last G3 iBook made went out of warranty in October of 2006, even with AppleCare. You've gone a good two & a half years past that with no problems, apparently.

Look, they may still take care of it, but I can guarantee that if you go in with an expectation that they "owe" you something, don't be surprised if they don't feel the same way.

As far as the loss of your data, yeah, it sucks, but loss of data is never the manufacturer's problem. Remember that the more aged a machine and the more critical the data on it, increases exponentially the need for reliable backup and recovery plans. That's on us, not Apple.

9. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

I understand that its older, but it sucks that the recall cannot be honored. This machine wasn't used a whole lot until recently when I needed it.
    I also don't blame apple for my data loss.

I won't expect anything from them when I go in, but something they can do would make a world of difference. I mean, I can't live w/o this. I need my laptop for school.

*sigh* This really sucks. What do you think the percentage would be if I go in, and explain how I need this for school, about the recall, etc, if they don't have parts to fix it, might let me walk out with a MacBook? My friend did a year or so back, what do you think its the percent now?

Thanks!

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You'll walk out to laughing with a red face and a hung head.

11. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

Thats funny, because the same situation I'm in happened to my friend, and he walked out with one. I mean, we DID pay $1500 for this, and MacBooks are only $1099. And I mean, its not like this is some 1999 iMac G3. No. Its a sub-supported iBook G3 that plenty of people still may have.

EDIT: I forgot to add, the LCD has been replaced one before because the first was faulty.

12. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

It was $1,500 FIFTY YEARS AGO! It's like having a car that's under a recall and you take it back to a car dealership. Let's say the car is 10 years old. You go in and say, "Can I have the 2008 version of this car?". No, they fix the part IF THE RECALL IS STILL NON-EXPIRED!!

13. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

You should be able to get the iBook to work long enough to get your data off of it.

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

AppleCare is fix, fix, fix, replace, but that doesn't matter anyway since yours has expired, even if you got the extension.

Apple will not replace it with a new MacBook. Apple might not even be able to fix it.

15. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

Really? I was alive 50 years ago to buy this? 2002 is fifty years ago? Its the year 2052 ALREADY? Wow!

16. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

Wish I could, but I cant. I dont even have another Mac to use with FWDM

17. passingXstorm macrumors regular

Fixed that for you.

Anyway, its worth a try. I'd just go and explain the situation, that you didn't know about the recall, you need it for school etc, etc, etc. You never know what they'll d till you try. :)

18. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

lol.

Its just sad that my only machine, with all my files for school on it, and my website files and PSDs, all gone. And I didn't know there was a recall. It was fine, but then when I did a google search, I found it.

Well, I'm going tomorrow. Wonder what'll happen.

19. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

It's called SARCASM....

I forgot I didn't put the /sarcasm on the end of my statement. Darn sorry.

20. souldawg macrumors member

I'm a bit confused. I entered into the thread thinking there was going to be a question asked, but you seemed to answer your own question and then not listen to what anybody else was suggesting. Usually I ask a question to get a balanced opinion from forum users, not bash everyone over the head with what I wanted to hear and wasn't getting in response.

Sorry if that was harsh but I value people's advice and opinions in these forums and hate to see the kindness people take to offer it up taken for granted.

21. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

What I meant was will Apple still honor the recall 2 years later, or no.
    Apparently, its been answered, no.

22. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Just because your logic board failed doesn't mean your data is gone forever. You can always buy an external case for your hard drive and install it in there to retrieve your data. Or you can go buy a new macbook and Apple would recover the data and transfer it to your newly bought macbook.

23. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

So you had nothing backed up? With the price of externals these days, there should be no reason for lost data.

Go to Apple and see what happens, keep a cool head, and don't start demanding anything.

New macbook, are you HIGH? :)

24. metroid87706 thread starter macrumors regular

metroid87706

Well, the guys at the Genius Bar were very nice. They told me that they could get me a 3rd party company to fix it for $280. Woah. Not happening. Its not worth that much to me to pay that price. I'll just sell it as-is on craigslist for something cheap and use it toward a MB. Or I can try to fix the issue myself, i dont know.

25. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden