Is my iPhone 4 still AMAZING?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CrashX, Jan 6, 2016.

1. CrashX macrumors regular

It's sporting a retina display, it easily fits in my pocket, in its defender case - and I just had the bum headphone jack fixed for $50.

Also, it doesn't massively consume data. My bill is $45/mo.

So I experimented with an iPhone 6s. Apparently Otterbox cornered the market now so they don't even try to make good Defender cases anymore, at least according to reviews. It was perty and gold - but then it went into its required case and... what's the point?

So I jacked up my data plan, because I was guessing I'd otherwise get slammed with some huge bill. Ended up on the phone with an Apple Tech explaining to me that, not only is Siri pretty much retarded, but "she" consumes massive data when you speak to her, trying to decipher your voice. I was not aware of this.

BUT I realize I must upgrade at some point. And the iPhone 6 refurb is on sale for under $600. I'm considering snagging it, only I'm a bit worried about having to raise my data limit due to the new iPhone being 4LTE.

Then I get stuck on the rumors the iPhone 6c, possibly soon to be released. Yes, it's wonderful that "pure" iPhones are cast in glorious metal. But they get covered up by cheap plastic bumper covers anyway, so who cares? Or does it matter in protecting the "guts" of the phone? I don't know.

AND I just scored a Kindle Fire for THIRTY DOLLARS, which I used some script on the Internet to "root out" to allow access to Google Play. I don't care much for the Android interface, but for $30. That just seems crazy low to me YET I'm still considering paying $600 for a refurbished genuine Apple iPhone 6. I'm not certain why I'm even considering that?

To recap, my iPhone 4, now that the headjack issue has been resolved, does everything I need it to do. And my bill is low. And I don't play games on it - because I own a PS3 and now a $30 Kindle Fire.

So if anyone has any ideas/opinions, thanks. I just feel like, with Tim and Jony running the show, the only thing the iPhone 7 will offer is being thinner and lighter and even more "AMAZING" - when they should concentrate on making the stupid things a little thicker and a bit heavier and truly impact resistant. Otherwise I buy a shiny new iPhone and don't even get to show it off because it's hidden, for its own protection, in a bulky case that makes it thicker and weigh more.

Thanks. Just disappointed, having continued to WAIT and WAIT for a NEW iPhone that's truly as "AMAZING" as my iPhone 4 was. RETINA display - that was HUGE. Ah well...

2. eyoungren, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Cool. My iPhone 5 is still amazing. Still looks like the 2001 movie monolith thing, the reason I bought it. But I use a 6s+ now. Glad you like your 4, but I'm not a fan. And I hate cases. No cases. Don't do them, don't want them. Just no.
    Neither my 5 nor my previous 6+ nor my current 6s+ use massive amounts of data. I pay $320 a month for unlimited data for an iPhone 6s, an iPhone 6s+ (both 128GB) and 5GB (each) for two iPad Air 2's 16GB. We usually use about 3GB a month or so. The price includes the plan and all the device payments as well as 7GB tethering per iPhone.

The point is - some people don't use cases. Shocker I know, but I'm one of those persons. I hate cases.

This is something I can quote you on…"what's the point?" I don't use SIRI. I do have Cortana installed and if I want to talk to my phone I use that.

Welcome to September 2012!!!

5c meh. 6c meh. I have a 6s+. I do not cover my phone in bumpers, cases, or any other thing that prevents the beauty of the phone from showing. I hate cases.

Can't help you here. I had two Android tablets once. Free promotion. I hated them. They got replaced with iPad Air 2s when I ported to T-Mobile.

If you like your 4 and LTE isn't a big thing for you then stick with it. I still have my 5, even though it's no longer my primary phone.

Ahhh, see there's the difference between you and me. You MUST hide your shiny new iPhone in a case. I don't. I get to enjoy the beauty of my shiny new iPhone. I'm on the numbered upgrade path (the 6s+ is an anomaly for me) so when the design style changes this year it will be obvious I have a 7 and not a 6+ or 6S+. Yeah, I'm shallow like that. ;)

I think iOS has something to do with it. iOS 6, in my opinion was the last good version of iOS.

Did I mention I hate cases?

3. Porterhouse macrumors newbie

Porterhouse

Eyoungren--how do you feel about cases again? :)

Seriously, you have a good point about spoiling the beauty of the iPhone. So I'm going to ask--do you have a way of protecting your phone or are you just really careful with it? (I ask out of interest as you have a good point, not to be snarky. I'm tired of cases, but I'm concerned about breaking my iPhone.)

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL! :D

I'm just careful. Two hands instead of one, being aware of where my phone is when I get in and out of the car as well as where the phone goes and when.

I have a business card holder that all my phones have sat in at my desk at work. One at my computer desk at home and one by my bedside. For any place that I'm at while I'm out the phone either stays in my side pocket or is placed out of the way.

I don't ever set my phone screen down. Lots of people seem to like doing that, but I'm always afraid I will scratch the screen.

None of this is to say I've never dropped the phone. But when I have I have been fortunate - except once! The first and only time I dropped my 6+ it was getting in the car and it landed face down on the asphalt. Shattered the screen. $147 to replace, although Apple decided to replace the entire phone for the cost of the screen replacement.

In short, it's just being aware of where your phone is and handling it carefully.

I have made one concession and that was because Sprint offered me a free screen protector. That screen protector made it easy to use my 6+ when the screen shattered because the protector didn't. So, I do now use a screen protector. But still no cases.

5. CrashX thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the great reply. When I drink, I drop my iPhone. I had it out of its case to clean it - swear this is true - and in that brief period of time I did drop it twice onto the carpet and - yes I know it's sad - once into the sink because I was on the phone when I was doing dishes :)

Your plan has a HUGE data limit, compared to my 300MB plan. With "normal" use, I stay well under that with my iPhone 4. I don't know if the iPhone 6 would require me to upgrade to the next "limit" which is $10 more for 2GB? Seriously don't know.

And I hate cases, too. But I'm a bumbler and reality interferes with my wish to not store my phone in a highly protective case :)

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If you are content with your iPhone 4 then just keep it until it breaks or no longer satisfies your needs.

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I pay $46.38 per month (after all taxes/fees) and get 5GB of data with Straight Talk.

8. CrashX thread starter macrumors regular

I think I'll do that. They can toss out all the "gadgetry" they like - fingerprint sensors, 3D touch, ApplePay, Siri, whatever - I'll just wait until Apple actually makes my phone obsolete I guess.

I really loved my 2007 MacBook Pro. Kept it on Snow Leopard and she still runs fine. But then I had to deal with "retina" - so I upgraded to a rMBP.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

2GB is a decent limit for an LTE device. I won't argue that having an LTE capable phone does not increase data usage (there are statistics that would disprove me) but if your general usage does not change you aren't going to use much more than you do now.

It's funny because between 2008 and 2012 my wife and I had 3G devices and our usage was regularly within 10-20GB per month. Since we got LTE capable phones our usage has decreased! I don't know why that is. But we are certainly not the norm. Perhaps it was because to avoid connectivity problems I just generally set my wife's phone to use WiFi whenever she was home - and that is usually where she is.

As to cases, I hear you. I try to be really careful, but I can't control the people I interact with and one of those persons has a general habit of breaking my stuff so I have to be extra careful.

Just dropped my wife's iPhone last night when handing it back to her. Banged around on our bed's metal footboard before hitting the carpet. But she DOES use cases so the metal cage she has around her iPhone dealt with it easily.

10. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I used an old iPhone 4 for a few weeks to tide me over before the 6s release, and was very happy to put it back in the drawer. But my biggest problem with it was the battery in that particular unit was on its last legs. Could have gotten it replaced, but it didn't seem like a worthwhile investment in such old technology. Oh, and the power button was dying too...

In any case, a newer iPhone won't use more data unless your usage pattern changes. If you're suddenly using more data, it's because you're finding more things you can do with your phone, which is kind of the point to upgrading. You can turn Siri off, teach yourself to only use it when you're on wifi (oddly enough, you can't set Siri to not use cellular data, I don't think), or use it normally and upgrade your plan. It's all up to you. Most apps can be configured to not use cellular data, though.

C

11. geta macrumors 6502a

If it's getting the job done, what the reason to change it then ?

12. kargurin macrumors regular

kargurin

Apple stock is tanking and orders are down....maybe you're on to something.

13. CrashX thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I hope I am. I've been with Apple since the Apple ///.

I don't give a DAMN about the stupid phone being THINNER - because, unlike the kind person who replied and takes great care of their phone, I tend to drop ****. Which FORCES ME to encase Jony Ive's ever "AMAZING" new technology in some big ass case to protect it.

Seriously, WTF GOOD does it DO for the phone to be THINNER? Now they're apparently gonna remove the headphone port and charge us for something else...

I LOVED Apple when they were the underdog. They may possibly be WORSE - well, that's just not possible, sorry - they are TRYING to be as EVIL as Microsoft lately.

Here's to hoping for an iPhone 7 that's wicked cool AND can handle the occasional drop, without shattering.

They're obviously out of ideas. Well here's one - make it TOUGH. That would be appealing. I can just hear Jony Ive -

"Our new iPhone 7 is so AMAZING, it can withstand an atomic bomb being dropped on it as Sarah Palin watches the plume from her back porch in Alaska. Yes, it is THAT AMAZING!"

I hate you, Jony Ive. I hate your flat web, your flat design, and your flat-chested or non-female lovers. Let's go Rambo on the next iPhone please. Thank ya, Sir Jony. Just make it a little bit more masculine - not gonna kill ya.

I like BIG PHONES and I can not lie...

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

As a PowerPC Mac owner and user who owns but one Intel Mac of 2006 vintage (Snow Leopard max), I feel your pain. :D

15. CrashX thread starter macrumors regular

Snow Leopard kicks ass. The guys here are the gurus - was that not the last non-bloatware "force you to upgrade" OS that Apple has introduced since? It was AWESOME.

My older MBP still kicks Snow Leopard. If I just had tons of money to blow on her, I'd toss in an SSD and put her up against my rMBP with my latest greatest bloatware OS.

Anyway, back to the iPhone - YOU HAVE NO NEW IDEAS! STEVE JOBS IS DEAD! SORRY! YOU SUCK!

Just make the damn phone 2mm THICKER and PROTECT IT against DROPS - you IDIOTS!!!!!

Or just make it small enough so you can shove it up your ass to vibrate on command.

Sorry, got in a fight with my girlfriend, drinking early :)

16. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Your iPhone is capable of sending messages to someone on the other side of the planet almost instantaneously. That alone is amazing! :D

17. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I kept my iPhone 4 for 3 years.. I know what you mean, it was AMAZING, but it was time for me to upgrade when the 5S released.

18. EsbenJohnson macrumors member

Wow, why is data so expensive in you countries? I feel sorry for you... I pay only 12$ for 20gb of data per month. Are you guys rich or something?

19. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

My mom is still using her iPhone 4 from 2010. I think she will use it until it breaks. To me it looks ancient as I've had lots of phones since my iPhone 4 and I'm now using the 6S+. However I think it's a testament to how good Apple's hardware is. 5 years and still going strong.

20. venomgt95 macrumors 6502

venomgt95

Be careful expressing your happiness. Some people may not agree with you and complain :rolleyes:

21. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No. But the carriers are. ;)

22. kargurin macrumors regular

kargurin

I have to agree with those that lament the over the top phone slimness fetish from the manufacturers. With the large format phones especially they are not even comfortable to hold...like holding an over-sized playing card from a card deck. Some of the more comfortable phones to hold have been the Androids with the expandable batteries (which are now as rare as unicorns). Often replacing the back case with a form that naturally fills the palm of the hand with great battery life to boot! Now we are holding a big playing card just because it looks cool sticking out of your back or side pocket. Nevermind it needs to be on a charger once or twice per day it's more important to be seen wearing an anorexic phone (with exceptions to the 6x Plus phones which are in a class by themselves with regard to battery life....not even the Android flagships can match them).

23. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

This is an oft repeated comment here, and I don't necessarily deny the validity of it. But before I make my own comment, I will just say this about batteries.

I've had to put my phones on charge each night since 2009 when I got my first smartphone. Nothing has changed, this is a normal and regular thing. But I think people want the battery life they got with old flip phones while still doing what they do when using a smartphone and that just is not going to happen. Battery tech has improved, but not by that much. But a lot of people just don't want to accept that for some reason.

Finally, here is my comment regarding thinner and lighter iPhones. Apple keeps breaking records when they sell thinner and lighter iPhones every year. This is a minority (but a vocal one) opinion. Everyone else that is buying the lighter, thinner phones every year (and more of it) disagrees with this opinion.

I am not saying your opinion is wrong, I am just pointing out that Apple's sales do not reflect any recognition of it.

24. wolfedude88 macrumors regular

wolfedude88

I agree that there is nothing wrong with charging your phone every night.

The problem is that the phone is really thin and doesn't last until you got to bed. I get up for work at 5am everyday and by 2pm my phone is almost dead. If they would just make it about 9mm like the iPhone 4 it would probably last the entire day.

I'm not saying battery life is bad but Apple is clearly more focused on thinness than better battery life

25. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I get up later than you do, about 5:45 but my phone usually has about 70 percent or so left by around 11pm.

But I don't use my phone like a computer (and I am not saying you do if you do not). I work with computers every day (I'm a Graphic Designer) and I have multiple computers at home. My point being that my phone usually sits on my desk all day and I use a computer to do the kinds of things a lot of people seem to do with their phones.

But the primary function of my phone is to be a phone, not a game platform, or a social browser (although I do use it for that quite a bit). I'm a believer is using a specific device for a purpose. I don't watch videos on my phone for instance (unless it happens to be all I have at the time) because I have TV for that. Or my iPad, which has a bigger screen.

I'm not saying that how I use my phone should be how everyone else uses their devices, but I am saying that my battery life is quite good precisely because I am not using my phone for everything.