Is My Macbook Pro used and not Brand New? Please Help!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ik11, Jan 29, 2008.

1. ik11 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Today I purchased a Mac Book Pro 17" from an Apple Authorized reseller/Service Provider here in India.. I have doubts that this is NOT a FRESH piece but a used piece .. It doesnt look Fresh.. Has some minor 2 or 3 scratches.. one quite prominent dent at the back ...plus those small rubber soles at the bottom also appear dirty and worn out.. When I tried to get the warranty info of my product from apple's warranty info page https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do# (by punching in the serial number) It says "Our records indicate that your product is covered under Apple's Limited Warranty which is estimated to expire on 11 Sep 2008." Note I purchased it today that is 29th Jan 2008

Plus it also says "Your product is not eligible for complimentary phone support."

I didn’t buy it from an Apple store .. Here in India we have Apple authorized resellers.. I purchased it from an Apple Authorized reseller plus he is also an Apple Authorized service provider..

Some points to note .. I have been inquiring for a MacBook Pro for a couple of days now and none of the 18 odd resellers (listed on the Apple Asia reseller page) Have the 17" Model in stock ... It is out of stock everywhere...

Another thing .. this guy called me up and asked me if I wanted the stuff (The tiger OS etc) installed on the MBP.. I told him I didn’t want anything installed coz I can do it on my own since the Installation CDs came with the package .. but he still insisted saying it would be easier for me and blah blah... (this raises some doubts)

So what I got was not sealed pack at all ...

Also He told me he has put a Scratch guard (the screen protecting plastic) on the screen/display complimentary.. (this again raises some doubts)

Also I would really appreciate if some one can tell me about the warranty .. how is it calculated... Coz since the Apple support page tells me .. My serial number in their records show that My 90 Day Phone support has expired and the warranty is only Valid till Sep 08"

All these stuff together just point in one direction that My Macbook Pro is not fresh .. I feel ripped after paying full payment and getting a used piece :( I paid about USD $3362 .. Thats a lot more than what u would pay for it in the U.S (about $2799) I would appreciate your advice...

I am now quite sure that this is not a fresh piece ... Can some one please give their views.. Please Help!! Thanks!!

2. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

that is not cool! take it back to the shop and demand a refund, and then email apple and complain. hopefully they will take some form of action. they have to trust these sellers and when they start flogging used goods as new it dose not reflect on apple very well.

3. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

What is there to question? You obviously got taken.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The seller purchased the laptop back in September. You purchased it from the seller new on the 29th.

There's an option to make a correction when you check the serial number.

5. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

Return it and get a FULL refund - heaven knows we do not need 100 posts on this topic.

6. growinglogic macrumors regular

7. ik11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that amazing response from all you awesome members :)

But how do I prove my point to him? How do I prove its not Brand New?

Any idea how the warranty thing works?

8. growinglogic macrumors regular

Print out the page that you told us about.

9. ik11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot! I ll do that!

Also any specific email for Apple? where I can write to them and complain? I searched their support pages but couldn't find any specific email address to contact Apple regarding this issue..

I don't want a refund nor do I want to complain if I just get what I paid for A Brand New MBP..

10. growinglogic macrumors regular

Call corporate and say you have a complaint about an Apple Authorized Reseller in India. :cool:

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It doesn't matter when the vendor bought it, warranty starts on the day you open and register the account (don't tell them, the registration is automatically submitted, obviously the one who used it didn't know that). If it's marked as brand new, it should not have been registered.

Sounds like you have a used one being sold as brand new. Take it back, get a refund or exchange for a brand new one. Wait a little bit for the latest MBP if you can.

Scratch guard is BS. Most users have no use for it.

Next time, open the package at the store to make sure it's brand new.

I would email apple corporate with a copy of your receipt showing purchase date and your serial. Shady vendors should not be selling apple products.

12. ik11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.. But how do I email Apple Corporate? Whats the exact email? Can u Pm me with more info Please if possible .. Thanks!

13. RHD macrumors 6502

It sounds like you are being ripped off. Take it back and insist on a refund and buy another one somewhere else.

14. RHD macrumors 6502

He knows it's not brand new. You just have to convince him you'll take it to Apple headquarters if he doesn't give you a total refund right now. If not yesterday.
    In fact why not try for a bribe?

15. logube macrumors newbie

Misc. ideas

1) is there a public organization protecting consumers' rights? they could be of help
    2) is there any association of consumers working to protects consumers' rights?
    3) check the apple website and find a way to contact them to inform them of this reseller and of your incident
    4) is there a TV show about consumers rights?
    5) if thinks get difficult, consult a lawyer, possibly if you know one personally or a friend of a friends, a lawyer you can trust (if there is such a thing as a lawyer you can trust).
    6) see if you can name and shame this shop but BE CAREFUL not to break the law or incur the risk of being liable for defamation or any other legal action against you.
    7) see if you can find out if other people have been
    8) how did you pay? maybe through the payment method used you have some sort of insurance against fraud etc.. or perhaps they can help you.

Consider that sometimes making a phone call or sending a fax is more effective than just sending an email.
    verba volant, scripta manent
    In this era of "call centers", calls are registered so calls can be as good as letters.

Fight for your rights, get your money back and also do something so that the resellers faces some sort of consequence for his dishonesty.

16. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

wow, it's a total rip off man

if i were you, i would return the product right now without thinking any further seconds

and stop buying from that store

17. JasO macrumors regular

I think you might be in trouble. He will most likely say that the scratches/blemishes have been caused by you. And how are you going to prove that? Obviously this guy is a dodgy seller, so make sure you tell apple about this. Maybe say something is wrong with the system? DOA? It might be easier than going and trying to tell him you have received a refurb. Anyway good luck.

18. DocSmitty macrumors regular

Bad idea. If it does come down to different claims between you and the store management, any sort of lie will make your entire claim seem false. Stick to the facts, tell them everything you told us, and don't back down - when they see a customer that is truly upset and not willing to budge they will solve the problem.

Edit: The fact that Apple has in their records the ORIGINAL purchase information for the warranty registration should be proof enough that this was a pre-owned product and not brand new, as it was sold.

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Receipt from that store should have a date way later than the registration date and warranty expiration date. That's proof enough that it's been used previously.

By the way, it's pretty hard to cause visible damage to MBP during normal use. They have to have abused it to leave visible damage.

20. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

That is tough. Where in India did you get it from? I find it hard to believe that an Apple Authorized reseller would pull off something like that. Are you sure he did not sell you a Refurbished machine? Check the invoice.

What kind of MBP is it? What is the processor speed and Video Card? This might suggest how old the build is.

21. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

I have a feeling that its "Hammer Time"! :D

22. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Apple Refurbs still LOOK BRAND NEW and does not come with any physical damage (casing is replaced during refurbishing if necessary).

23. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

The OP mentions Tiger OS X Discs...

Shouldn't he have gotten the Leopard ones? :rolleyes:

24. tstarks33 macrumors regular

My computer was purchased last week, and apple says my limited warranty is set to expire on December 20, 2008.

I also purchased from an authorized reseller. TBH, I think that's the reason your date might be off (and you can update it through Apple).

Still, with the visible damage, should take it back regardless.

25. akadmon macrumors 68010

What?:eek: I wouldn't recommend that -- life is cheap in that part of the world, if you know what I mean.