Is my macbook pro way too hot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by appleguy123, Jul 23, 2009.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

i was just web browsing and EVERY when i have smc fan control turned off my cpu gets this hot! should i call Apple and ask for a replacement/genius bar repair?

Attached Files:

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

This is how hot my computer gets during use:
    [​IMG]

and the fan is still at 2000 RPM.

3. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

if your just web browsing but if your watching hulu or something then its normal and whatever your doing is taking up alot of resources. my macbook has gone up to 196 but that was watching hulu and working in imovie

If you are just on a site like macrumors when this happens then yes schedule an appointment with apple

4. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

Is this a unibody MBP? I've read on here before that it's not uncommon for them to get that hot. My unibody MacBook can get that hot pretty often because I multitask too much.

5. entity macrumors regular

I really hope that is in Fahrenheit :).

These Intel chips are rated for 100˚C/212˚F (yes, boiling!). Nothing to be concerned about. My old uMB 2.0 while plugged in would hit 80-85˚C easily, especially in a hot room during the summer. I don't even bother adjusting the fans, as I know Apple would have my back if there was a heating issue. Your Mac would turn off long before any damage occurs too.

Nothing to be worried about!

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I forgot to mention my temperatures are in Celsius, so that would 218ºF. I haven't had a problem really.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, make an appointment if you see these temperatures in normal (like just looking at web pages or using email) things.

However, if these temperatures are because you are compiling a project in iMovie (or any other video processing application), making music (like Logic apps), or using Youtube (or any other heavy type flash/java usage), then its completely normal.

8. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

when i took this i was view the video from macbites where cramer is talking about apple's stock. is this normal heat for this?

9. Jocelyn84 macrumors member

YES! Flash player runs hot, and eats up a lot of resources. Those Temps are normal with flash running and blame Adobe not Apple...

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, normal, Flash is intensive on the Mac. Why? God knows... well in this case Adobe knows. They haven't come out with something Mac friendly... they seem to cater to Windows people more often....

11. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

Holy wow batman, that's got me beat by about 9 degrees. I'll run a handbrake queue over night with SMC running the fans full blast and it still gets around 180 F. This one time I tried Folding@Home which was a disaster. Instantly the temps hit 209 and the fans STILL didn't do anything. I turned it on high and it took three days at full blast and I only got a few points :(. I'm sure it's ok though, it's why smcFancontrol is so popular. I set 2500 as my "new default."

12. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

Heat is the #1 killer of computer hardware (aside from accidents). Do not allow your MBP to run at 85C all the time. This is just ridiculously high unless the ambient temperature is 35C.

In my low 20C room, my "regular use" temps rarely ever rise above 55C because I set my fans to the appropriate speed. For example, today was a relatively cool day (20C), so I have my RPMs at 3478 when doing basic stuff like websurfing, e-mailing, and movie watching. My temps remain under 55C most of the time.

If you are using over 50% load like in your iStat snapshot, your fans should definitely be set much higher than 3500rpm. I would personally make it 4500rpm at those loads and max RPM settings if regularly using over 75% load.

Sure, Apple will cover your back if it fails due to heat, until your warranty expires, and your notebook is on its last legs in 3 years. Just because Intel rates the maximum CPU temperature at 100C, it doesn't mean that you should allow it to get anywhere near that number.

85C would be acceptable if using 100% load for an extended period of time.

13. imperialnavy macrumors regular

Actually mine is a lot hotter...that is when i use Bootcamp..
    While Playing highly Graphic intense games, my cpu temperature can rise up to 98°C...
    I didnt overclock my Macbook Pro ofcourse....but seriously, is my macbook in any kind of danger if it has to deal with this kind of heat very often ?
    Or is my CoreTemp Tool simply showing me the wrong values ??

14. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

98C for the CPU or the GPU?

If it's the CPU, then you're a few Celsius away from having a complete thermal shut-down.

In Windows, are your fans running very highly when you are gaming?

If not, use SMC fan control and set it to max in OS X, then boot into WindoZe. The fans should remain at the default 6200rpm rate.

15. imperialnavy macrumors regular

It is only the cpu which goes up that high ;)
    Gpu stays at around 86°C at max.
    When i play games, my mbp sounds like a hovercraft, so yes the fans are up^^
    When i checked for overheat protection it says that this Tj Max is at 105°C, automatic shutdown at 100°C...
    I hope this wont hurt my mac...and i hope Bootcamp 3.0 will improve it at least a little.

In Mac OS X Temperature never goes above 65°C for the cpu ;) i dont play games in Mac os x though.

16. trondah macrumors 6502

Every Macbook is supposed to shutdown immediately if temps reach over 90 degrees. If it doesn't, something is wrong with your computer and you should sendt it to repair.

17. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

My macbook will never go above 75˚, but the charger will be scortching hot, i cannot leave my hand on it for more than a few seconds. :eek:

18. imperialnavy macrumors regular

I am using Windows, i guess thats why it doesnt shutdown at my temps ;)
    I told it to people at my local apple store, and they said that even though my temperature is kinda hot, it still wont break or melt or whatever ;)

19. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

180 Fahrenheit is normal, thats around 80 maybe 82 celsius which is not that hot.

I frequently get in the high 80's and mid 90's (celsius) on mine.

20. henhowc macrumors regular

21. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

I haven't gone over 70C since I've gotten in. It stays around 65 when watching flash vids.