Is my New iPhone USED???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Prissy, May 8, 2009.

1. Prissy macrumors 6502

Okay guys... I think some of you know that I got 2 brand new iPhone 3G yesterday from the AT&T store and now I am suspicious that I've bought 2 USED returned phones!! Please tell me what you guys think if you were in my shoes.

1st phone: I know you hold on to the power button to release the cover, I think the cover was opened before I've purchased the phone because the chrome piece has a 1/3 inch chip by the mirror, it looks like someone had forced open the phone with nail or a tool.

2nd phone: Tried to download an APP for the first time before I sync the phone with iTunes and when I tried to enter my ID and password (on iPhone) to start download, it ALREADY has an email address ID exist! So I called the rep how to change the email address ID, the rep told me just to sync the phone with iTune. I did as what she said and it worked, then I asked her if the phone was already used, she says no and explained that it might've been the sales rep synced the phone with their computer, but I am 100% sure that she didn't even open the box to take out the phone. So it must've been used right?

Am I wrong at all??

2. stom macrumors newbie

3. fox777 macrumors regular

fox777

wow..Looks like you've been scammed big time.. Both phones show apparent evidence of previous usage. They must have been both phones that employee secretly accepted from a friend/bought cheaply from someone to sell in his workplace.

The reason i think so: because i know for a fact that if there is something wrong with your Iphone ATT will NOT take it back for absolutely ANY reason at all. When i got my first Iphone 3G rep brought brand new in plastic shrink Iphone from back. We activated it and he gave it to me. While i was in the store i could see that phone was barely getting any signal (1 out of 5 bars) after i left and walked around mall and then drove home that piece of crap phone was constantly having either 1 bar or no signal at all. So i decided i can simply return it to ATT to get brand new phone since i didnt even take protective film from screen of this defective phone...And you know what? They told me that they Absolutely do not accept the phone even if i had the phone in possession for 20 mins, had film on the screen and there was absolutely not a single little scratch...It looked 1000% brand new and they still didnt take it back.. :mad:

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Very..

Your 2nd phone is fine. How do you expect them to activate your iPhone, magically? It needs to be activated in iTunes.

:rolleyes:

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

So that was a yes - it has been opened, turned on and synced. You could check the serial code to see when it was manufactured - that would give an indication of age if you check it's age that way. Sooner you sort it out the better, if it's an issue. Same with both.

6. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

Forgot to mention that I got both phone from the Times Sq AT&T store. By the way, but both phone had new clear protectors on them.
    Don't they active the phone on the computer? my 2nd phone already has someone else's Email address entered (for APP download), that means someone tried to download APP on this phone prior. Right?
    I think I am going to return both phone!! Maybe wait for the new iPhone or just get 2 refrubed ones. By the way, is there restocking fee for returns? I also upgraded both phones to iPhone (another 2 yr contract) What can I do here?

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Yes, they activate it on the computer using iTunes. In order to activate it, I'm pretty sure you have to be logged into iTunes to activate, but I could be wrong.

When the iPhone is synced, it will sync the iTunes account info from the computer to the iPhone so the App Store is immediately available.

8. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

Gotcha, that's what the rep told me exactly, but if both phones were synced (activated) at the same time and same computer, then how come 1st phone came with no Email ID and PW and the 2nd phone comes with Email ID? It just make no sense :(

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Do they normally activate prior to purchase, or going through purchasing the handset?

10. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I have owned two iphones, both from the day they were released (original and 3g), and I am not understanding the holding down the power button to open the cover?

11. calvy macrumors 65816

You see someone else's email address on that 2nd phone because they plugged the phone into their computers to activate it, and picked up whatever email address was on their iTunes on that computer. Sync to your computer and you are done.

And as far as the first one, I had no mirrors or covers in my box. I don't know what you are talking about. But if you've got a chip in it, take it to apple and tell them you want to return it because it's obviously chipped up.

12. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

i thinkit's on the online manual for cleaning purpose.

13. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

it makes no sense that both new phones were activate on the same computer but it turned out that 1 has email in it and the other one does't.:(

I was referring to the clear plastic sheet that you can peel off when you get a new phone.

14. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The terminals at AT&T do NOT associate an email with the App Store. Also when you restore iPhone and activate in iTunes it still will show blank fields for username and password. What was the email address?

Perhaps they are refurbs?

15. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I was thinking too.. Used and returned maybe.. the email address was someones last name@yahoo.com and it does not match my sales rep's first or last name.

16. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

This whole thing just sucks... Now I am just curious what I can do after the refund since I already did a upgrade for both phones. :confused:

17. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I think your looking into it too much too be honest :p

Well, after they set up your account with AT&T, Rogers, or whatever, they have to connect to iTunes to activate the iPhone. It will only activate if there is a working sim card in there as well so that's why it's done after your account is created with the carrier and the sim card is activate on their systems.

18. fox777 macrumors regular

fox777

QFT. It doesnt matter where they activate it: ATT or Apple store, activation process on their computers set up so that they do NOT associate any email IDs on your phone's App Store.

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

19. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I would not worry too much about the one that had the email in it. As long is it looks good and operates good it will be fine.

I would take the one with a chip on it to an Apple Store or back to the AT&T store and get it replaced. Take your receipt with you.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Generally nothing since you took advantage of your single upgrade. If you're unhappy with the purchase return them (and eat the restocking fee) and wait a month for the new iPhones.

21. fratboy macrumors regular

NO you are wrong .. like other posters said they DO NOT USE THIER EMAIL to activate the iphone.. they dont even sync it .. it just plugs in and activates.. how is he reading to much into this.? i would be MAJOR pissed if i paid 199-299 for an iphone thats suposed to be new. if he wanted a refurbed iphone he could have got one for 99$

22. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Maybe you should read into my post. I never said he's reading too much into it, he's LOOKING too much into it. There's a difference.

But anyways, when I got my iPhone they did activation in store (Rogers). The rep brought the iPhone out, sealed and even let me open it. I turned it on and of course it was telling me to activate. She plugged it into her computer, iTunes popped up and it activated and synced. I remember later on I went into the App Store it asked for a username/password but I hadn't set one up yet. I resynced with my computer and it was fine.

23. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Ummm just bought my wife one.. there was no email address on it and they did activate it in the store.

24. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

Now can I cancel both upgrades and return the phone in the store and then get two refurbished phones from AT&T.com? OR can I cancel both upgrades and return the phone in the store and then wait for the next iPhone that comes out?

*But I need to my old phones, wouldn't they take the new SIM cards as well? my old SIM cards do not work anymore.*

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can return your phones - pay the restocking fee, you can cancel the contract within 30 days After that you can get a refurbished phone or wait till WWDC and see if what apple does.

Since you seem to be all over the board as to what to do, buying/waiting/not waiting/getting a refurb. You should figure out what exactly you want, can you wait till WWDC which is the smart thing and then once the dust settles make an educated and informed decision, instead of an impulsive decision.