Is now 4/10 a good time to buy a MacBook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jhunt37, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Jhunt37 macrumors newbie

Isit a good time to purchase a 15" MacBook pro or is there going to be a substantial upgrade soon. I am mostly interested in the video processor being upgraded soon. Thank!

2. Bumble Bee macrumors member

3. Jhunt37 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Product
    MacBook Pro

Recommendation:
    Don't Buy - Updates soon

Last Release
    June 08, 2009

Days Since Update
    303 (Avg = 200)

from http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

April 2010

5. MacMandy macrumors 6502

MacMandy

6. FnuGk macrumors regular

7. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

This issue is a hardy perennial here. There are always those who say you should wait because an update is "imminent." Unfortunately, nobody knows when that will be. It seems to me that whether to buy a new computer now should turn on whether there is a computer available that will conveniently do for you the work you need done. If the current MBP satisfies your needs, then by all means buy it, you won't regret it. All you will be losing will be the bragging rights that go with having one of the brand new models. Not to put too fine a point on it, so what? Most users get little if any practical benefit from the upgrades included in a new model, anyway. Think about what the likely upgrades might be. Then consider whether their absence from the current models would hinder you in doing what you want to do with a new computer. Almost assuredly, your answer will be that the current model already provides everything you need.

8. LesQQmorePewPew macrumors member

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I recently bought one and I love it; plus I needed it, so that's pretty much made my decision for me.

10. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I think that you should wait as the Times and other credible sites claim that the update is coming within this month.

If you asked me in January I would say go ahead and buy itl

11. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

Well, if you had suggested that he wait until tomorrow before buying the current model, I would have agreed. :)

12. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

To quote my beloved grandpappy there is never a bad time to purchase a Ford, I mean a Mac. Go now in search of your destiny. :D

13. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

your grandpappy gave bad consumer advice.

14. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Yes there's people that have been waiting for many months now, but different people have different opinions on whether you should wait or not. The only questions you should ask yourself are these:

• How urgently do you want/ need one?
    • Are you likely to suffer "Buyer's Remorse" if it gets updated when if you buy now.

15. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I've always bought a new computer when I needed one. When I ordered my 13" this september I didn't know if it was 2.0 or 2.26Ghz...

I don't really care about the new CPU's or Graphics Cards. Most of my work is done from the terminal anyway. I just feel that with this update apple will bump the hard disk and ram capacity from the pathetic 160 GB/2GB to something more competitive. And that will save people a couple of hundred bucks in the long run.

16. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

Actually the old f150 he drove lasted till the day he died. Very dependable. He always bought trucks and they always lasted. I have an old F 150 that has over 200,000 miles on it and the only major work that has been done is having had to replace the transmition. Like a Mac there is always the chance you might get a lemon, but generally if you take care of it it will last a while.

17. Kawininja619 macrumors member

Everyone i know that has a ford has major problems with them. To the TC, Wait for the update. Your money will go alot farther.

18. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I have a Ford Fusion (sedan)...no problems :)

On topic:

I'd wait at least until tomorrow.

19. Raima macrumors 6502

People were being told to wait in January as Apple had the announcement on the 27th.

I think I bought my MBP in Jan 14th. Upgraded it with an SSD. Don't regret it at all ^^

20. mrskitch macrumors newbie

Wait at least one week. Unless your livelihood depends on it you will most definitely regret it.

21. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

You did well and I would have done the same.

Now it's nearly 3-4 months later though and articles like this are appearing in sites like the Times etc. So unless someone needs a computer right now it might be worth it to wait.

22. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

23. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

Personally, I'd wait, but it depends on what price you can get it for.

24. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Your grandfathers old f150 = the bygone era of the Powerbook

Ford Explorers with exploding firestone tires = Macbook Pros with self destructing 8600 GPUs.

25. vectus macrumors member

There are already threads about this. Please stop making new ones.