Is now a good time to buy a macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by neith, Jan 25, 2008.

1. neith macrumors newbie

neith

Are there any plans to overhaul the current low cost macbook? I'm considering buying the low end model for school, web browsing and productivity software.
    My dad seems to think that they will release a model with the macbook air gesture touchpad.

I just don't want to buy the macbook now and regret it shortly afterwards.

2. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

No plans. it was only updated about 2 months ago

3. John Purple macrumors regular

See 'Buyer's Guide' on the top right side of this page:(

4. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

To tell you the truth, it is pretty unpredictable. However, their are plenty of theories as to why it :apple:MIGHT:apple: be updated soon. One of course beign that the new Penryn chips are now being sold. Two, The lower end model has not been revised in a good while. Three, Their is a new Leopard update coming out (10.5.2) WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT enable the new gestures from the Macbook Air.

5. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

The low end model was not actually updated 2 months ago, except for the fact that they can now hold 4GB of RAM.

6. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

It was updated to the Santa Rosa chipset. I think it was upgraded from 2.16GHz to 2.2GHz

7. Golcondio macrumors member

The current MacBook (the middle one, not crippled, not black) is arguably the best all-around laptop out there (balancing performance, features and portability), you can't go wrong with it!

Mactactic says: "Buy Now". After all, they were released at the beginning of November.

Unless your father has access to sources unknown to all of us, there's no indication that Apple will put those functionalities on the "normal" MacBook (there are rumors about the next MBP having them, but we won't know until we know...), so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Is this your first Mac? You Won't Regret It. Ever.

8. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

I believe he is talking about the low end 2.0 Ghz model. If he isn't then I apologize.

9. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

10. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

Well, I can see the next update coming in May for the Macbook.

11. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

I'm about to buy a macbook also. Whilst an increase in processor speed would be quite annoying if timed wrong, i would be more gutted if i missed out on the multi-touch gestures. Not saying they are coming out, just that i'd be gutted if i missed them by a matter of weeks etc.

Having said that, i personally don't see the gestures coming to the Macbook quite yet. They are one of the few things which make the Macbook Air unique. If all models get this update soon, there will be another reason less to buy the macbook air. (i'm not slating the macbook air here)

I personally think the gestures will come to the next major revisions of the MB and the MBP.

So, in a nutshell....I DUNNO :(

12. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

I completely agree with the whole gestures thing. Apple would not update it (if they were smart) because they know the Macbook Air is fighting an "uphill battle" even against it's own products. Why would they reduce one of the only reasons someone might buy a Macbook Air, and completely detract customers from one product of theirs to another.

13. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

the gestures don't impress me at all. I see little need for them.

14. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

I kinda see where you're coming from. But i remember when scroll pads were put onto the side on pc laptops. I thought it was silly at first, but now i can't live without one. The gestures will be the same i think. Give it a while using it, and you will be loving scrolling backwards and forwards through pages, or zooming with pinch! I know I will be!

15. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

They personally seem like a Gimmick to me, rather then something functional.

16. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Let me tell you about the macbook.

I have returned one before and am going to return one today. Here is why.

They are not ready for prime time. They are engineered all wrong. Now besides mine having a broken trackpad button and a noisy fan there is a bigger problem. The core 2 duo chip is just way too hot. When you use the macbook the chip instantly shoots up to 70c. It hovers at around 45c at idle and that is because the fan runs constantly at 1800rpm. The minute you do anything processor intensive it goes through the roof and the fan shoots up to 6500rpm. Yes, that number is correct. Loud as heck. Watch some videos or ichat and it shoots up to 4500rpm.

There is a very weak cooling system in these things and the x3100 runs way hotter than the 950 did for graphics so that is not helping matters. My first macbook never did this. I had the original 2ghz core duo. I should never have sold it frankly.

I never see this problem discussed anywhere so I guess people are ok with monster fan noise. I am not.

I would say wait until penryn but I don't think that will solve the issue. Penryn runs just as hot. Too bad, the macbook is very nice looking.

I sad about the whole matter. Might end up with a macbook air. That cpu runs at 20w not 35w like macbook does.

17. neith thread starter macrumors newbie

neith

The current MacBook (the middle one, not crippled, not black) is arguably the best all-around laptop out there (balancing performance, features and portability), you can't go wrong with it!

Mactactic says: "Buy Now". After all, they were released at the beginning of November.

Is there a major hardware difference between the cheapest macbook and mid range one?

The mid seems to just have the faster cpu, bigger HD and a superdrive.

Which are all probably worth getting... but my goal was to buy a cheap highly portable laptop. I already have an expensive DTR windows laptop.

18. Golcondio macrumors member

It was just for the superdrive: it's a pain in the donkey not having the possibility to burn cd/dvds unless you buy an external one, which in my opinion defeats the purpose of a portable computer...

If you already have a PC, go for the lowest-end and you'll be fine!

19. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

Buy, i canceled my Air order after hearing the bad stuff about it..and picked up a BlackBook

i mean if they think the Air is going to be fast enough for a while, then certainly the current MacBook will be too ... not to mention it is pretty bug free since it is probably in one of its last revisions before a major overhaul

20. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

21. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Agreed. I don't need my trackpad to do anything other than click, drag, and scroll.

22. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

I agree I was holding out for a MBP but decided those are nice features but not delaying several weeks or months it might take to get them. Plus there might jsut be a software upgrade to get those features.

I might sell my macbook when the MBPs come out if they are special but I seem very happy with my purchase of a refurbed 2.2macbook

23. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

I'd say go for it and get the 2.2 GHz MacBook, it gives you a perfect blend of power & performance, portability, and features.

There's no point in waiting around for an update, if you need it buy it, point blank.

24. rsm5068 macrumors regular

I'll vouch for that fan speed and excessive heat. I use Eclipse to do Java programming in school and the second we start testing certain programs we write the fan goes nuts. We have iStat Pro running and that thing goes crazy.

Question to all:

I am facing a similar problem myself. I need a new laptop for college and travel this summer. I am debating between the 3 models but the major major competition in between the MBP and MBA. When do you all think the MBP will be updated? Buyer's Guide says soon, but how soon? any guesses?

25. jeff3221 macrumors regular

I have had a low end macbook for a month now and I love it! I have had no need for a superdrive. I say if you dont need to burn dvds, which you probably dont, go for the low end.