Is now the time to sell my iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anthony T, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

Since the announcement is allegedly happening next week, should I sell my iPhone 4 now?

I want to buy a GoPhone to use in the meantime. I bought a micro SIM adapter from eBay...will that work in a GoPhone? And will AT&T give the buyer of my iPhone their own micro SIM?

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

sell if you want. probably a good idea. They would probably have to pay for a micro sim or get it cut

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

How much of a difference are people really expecting? I think a mint condition iPhone 4 will sell for $50 less at most after the next iPhone release. If I do sell mines, it won't be until after release.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It doesn't really matter when you sell it. I doubt resale value will change much whether you sell it now or a month after the event. If you wanted to maximize what you got, then you should have sold a while ago.

5. SenseiPhone macrumors regular

$50 less?

Take a look on eBay for price expectations:

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Apple-iPhon...3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A5216&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

----------

not really much for now, but the price dropped much after the next iPhone launched.

6. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are you supposed to take your micro SIM out of the phone when you sell it?

7. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

lol

8. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Yes, you keep the SIM card. The buyer will use their own.

How much the iPhone 4 drops in resale depends on the rumored 4S. If the 4S turns out to be real, is an upgrade from the 4, and only costs a few hundred new, unlocked and working on all carriers, it will likely destroy the resale market.

9. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Be nice! :D

Yes! You must take your sim card out and do a complete restore of the phone. Make sure you have a backup so all your stuff is saved or the iPhone 5. Pretty sure there is a article somewhere here on MR about what to do before selling if you want more details.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Plug your iPhone into iTunes, hit "backup" then hit "restore" (and set it up as a new device ... it will give you this option).

Remove the SIM, and it's ready to be sold.

When you get your new iPhone, just click "restore from backup" and your iPhone should be where you left off from. (unless you want to start over)

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I'm not talking about resale value compared to it's retail release value. I'm talking about the resale value from before & right after the next release.

12. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

The day the next iPhone is showcased the value of the iPhone 4 will plunge quickly.

You can still sell it for a good price today, and leading up to the event.

13. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

14. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I would sell it now since waiting only a week (rumoured) to hear about the next iPhone isn't too bad of a wait. Plus, you should make a decent amount off your phone now, so if you don't like what the next iPhone brings, you can buy someone else's mint condition iPhone 4 with little to no loss for you. Just make sure to do what others said and backup, restore, and remove sim before selling. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.