Is OEM ok?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by themagicsquad, Apr 10, 2008.

1. themagicsquad macrumors newbie

I've been told to go for the cheaper vista oem version. In the boot camp guide it says you shouldn't use oem. Why? Will it work?

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I've used OEM disks of both Vista & XP on different machines ( not the same disk ) and they have all installed Ok

There meant for developers building machines from the ground up so unless you get one that is machine hardware specific ie Dell,your'll be fine

3. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Definitely . . . worked for me!

4. cuestakid macrumors 68000

well i have been able to use my dell restoration disc for bootcamp

5. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

If you're using the CD key from the Dell, then you're violating the EULA that you agreed to when you first used your Dell. You need to buy XP/Vista again, you are not allowed to transfer the license for OEM licenses.

6. cuestakid macrumors 68000

i did not know that

thanks for the information!

7. BrownPlopz macrumors regular

Yes, OEM versions are OK. It's as simple as that, the only thing is that with the OEM versions, if you want to use it on a different machine, it won't work, because the Licenses are non-transferrable. Also, OEMs are meant for building PCs, which, in a way, you're doing :D.

8. NewbieUS macrumors newbie

Not only is the OEM version sufficient for Boot Camp, but you can install it on Boot Camp and also access the installation via VMware Fusion or Parallels as a virtual machine. Less than a week ago, I was as concerned as you are regarding the OEM risk. But it (Windows Vista Premium) activated fine via Boot Camp and when booted with Fusion.

If you decide to also boot into Fusion, remember to install what are called "VM Ware Tools" before you boot the Boot Camp partition into Fusion. Otherwise, you could get trouble during the license activation.

9. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

OEM won't validate

I bought a XP Pro SP2 OEM installer CD last year, but for various reasons never got around to installing on my MBP till today. When I tried to validate the 25 digit license after the installation, it keeps failing. Tried the phone number, and it said the number wasn't correct, though I've entered it correctly.

So it looks like I got screwed for the $150(?) - has MS cracked down on OEM disks? Not sure what to do now - I guess I'm out another $250 for a retail license...

10. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Don't think so as i installed as i only installed a OEM version of XP on a friends MBP a couple of days ago,the only thing i could suggest is to get in touch with M$
    direct either by phone or e-mail & explain the situation

11. brucefenn macrumors newbie

Boot Camp Performance?

I need to purchase a rather massive machine to run simultaneous analysis & charting programs for trading stocks in real time. I heard that MAC actually runs windows faster than PC via Boot Camp? Im looking at a Dou Quad Core processor to run 2 - 4 monitors.... is MAC and Boot Camp really 100% Compatible?

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I don't quite understand what you mean. Every PC has an MAC address, and so has every Mac, and many other items. And obviously Boot Camp is 100% compatible with MAC addresses, otherwise Ethernet and many other things wouldn't work. You must be confusing something.

13. AVR2 macrumors 6502

FWIW, it's "Mac" (short for "Macintosh"), not "MAC". As gnasher729 alludes, MAC (all caps) is the acronym for Media Access Control, a protocol that defines the way workstations gain access to transmission media.

And to answer your question, yes, for a while the fastest computer to run Windows Vista was actually a Mac. Not sure if that's still the case though.

14. agojes macrumors member

I installed Vista Ultimate OEM in my SR MBP and it works fine until today.
    However, for some reason every now and then I need to adjust the clock again as it is showing a different time, even though I've set it to synchronize with the internet time. Maybe some of you know why this is happening?

Another question I have is regarding the OEM itself. If you guys have activated the OEM, and for some reason you need to do the BC partition again (for instance that you feel the HD space is not enough), can you use the same OEM license/CD key? (using the same computer of course)

Thanks folks for the answer.

15. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

haha

16. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Not sure about your time issue,yes you can use the OEM disk again,the only problem you may run into is if you changed the hardware before re-installing
    it again

17. AVR2 macrumors 6502

From my experience of building Windoze PCs, you can actually change quite a lot of the hardware before Windows will object on re-activation (mind you, I was using an OEM edition of XP Pro at the time, not Vista), and even if it does object you can call Microsoft and explain the situation and they'll often allow you to reactivate, after deactivating your previous installation.

I think the most likely thing to cause Windows to fail reactivation is if you've changed the motherboard, because then it'll assume that you're trying to install it on two different machines at once. It's got a tolerance for changed graphics cards, sound cards, memory etc, because lots of users will indeed upgrade those while keeping the same mobo.

I guess that changing mobos won't actually be much of an issue for Mac owners, unless you're trying to install the same copy of Windoze on (say) both an iMac and a MacBook.

18. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

I bought an OEM XP SP2 disc from Ebay last year to use with Boot Camp and Parallels. All was well until December when it suddenly accused me of being a filthy pirate (thanks Genuine Advantage). The error message changed a few times between it claiming the key was a VLK that the organisation no longer used and that the key had never been issued by Microsoft in the first place. It has switched back to claiming it is a disused VLK now. The disc is clearly genuine as is the OEM sticker so I figure this is some problem with their WGA software (shocker!) but I haven't got around to contacting MS as I just can't be arsed. I reinstalled just in parallels and don't let it install WGA now. I still feel quite annoyed that I did spend money on genuine MS software and they still think it is pirated.

One of these days I'll go through the whole calling their support line thing but I do not feel particularly friendly towards them and frankly don't really care much about using Windows any more even in parallels. Very very little software left that I have to use Windows for these days anyway.

19. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Thanks for the input,yes im fully aware of ringing M$ and what hardware can or cannot be changed before re-activation,maybe i should have been more specific in my reply rather than generalizing.These sort of questions come up loads of times but mostly to do with either fusion or parallel's

Neil

20. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Run Windows Update to get the DST Time Fix.

Also make sure your timezone settings are correct. Otherwise it will keep adjusting.

If neither of these solve your problem, turn off the ability to update the clock via the internet.

21. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I used an OEM XP disk (NO VISTA for me. Vista is the reason I own a mac today :D ) and it installed fine, I redid my windows partition because I wanted more space for games and it worked fine again, and one more time I will be reinstalling windows cause soon my eSata drive and express card will be here so I can instal l my games on that drive and connect if I ever want to play games and save most of my room for my mac partition.