Is Otterbox Defender case best for accident prone iPhone 4 owner?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by e5volcano, Feb 11, 2011.

1. e5volcano macrumors regular

Hi, got my friend an iPhone 4 Verizone (he always wanted one) but I know for sure he will not take care of it well. I can see him dropping it, scratching it with his keys (he'll probably put the phone and keys in same pocket), slip out of his hands, maybe spilling drops of liquid on it, etc...so I'd like to buy a durable case for him

I really like what the Otterbox defender case offers, but I am wondering how much heavier/bulkier does it make the phone. Does it the Defender case make it impossible to comfortably fit in your jean/pants pocket or is it not really noticeable.

Also any other suggestions? Basically I'm looking for a similar type case to Defender...one thing I think is useful for my friend is that the Defender case has like a hard screen protector and not one of those self adhering ones.

2. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

The Otterbox is the best case that I've found for that sort of protection.

I have seen on the web a Griffin case that does a similar job but have had no first hand experience with it.

One of my colleagues has an Otterbox Defender on his ip4 and he loves it. He doesn't have to worry and it does not add so much bulk that it is obnoxious. He routinely carries it in his jeans and slacks at work and it doesn't look any different than my ip4 with a slip type slider case on it.

If I hadn't already bought 2 slider cases, I might consider it--or if I can catch one cheap or used.

Definitely a good pickup--but google around for that Griffin case because you may like that style better.

Hope this helps.

3. e5volcano thread starter macrumors regular

hmm...that seems a lot bulkier than the Defender Case

And my friend probably won't carry around his iPhone via a clip..just in pocket

EDIT: Also got a question regarding the screen protectors found with these type of cases. Does it still allow for the touch screen to be sensitive compared to invisibleshield/bodyguardz? And do they decrease the quality of the screen?

4. psyduckiee macrumors regular

It decreases both the sensitivity as well as the quality of the screen by just a bit.

5. JASApplications macrumors 65816

6. e5volcano thread starter macrumors regular

hmm..thanks for the info...
    But I assume that although it decreases both sensitivity and quality, its not to the point of annoying/nuisance since people actually buy these cases

7. Roadking macrumors 6502

I think that the Griffin one may be a little better with all that extra silicon but I think the Otterbox looks better and is a great compromise of looks and protection.

It is probably obvious but I got the Otterbox. I had it for past devices where the clip had broken and Otterbox's customer service is outstanding. Replaced broken parts even though it was my fault and offering to pay for a replacement. They sent a replacement at no charge.

8. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

Plus 1000 on this. I had a similar issue on my Otterbox defender for my iphone 4 and the company just sent me a whole new case free of charge.

9. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I bought my son the defender case, as I do not want him destroying the phone (by accident of course)

At any rate, a little bulky- does NOT fit in any dock connector for any product I.E. His ihome alarm clock.

I comes with a screen overlay built in, and he games on it all the time, no problem at all with looks or sensitivity. The outside is rubber, so it is a bit sticky to get in and out of jeans.

Overall, it is a tank for protection.

10. e5volcano thread starter macrumors regular

For the defender case, can you remove the clip so that it can fit in your pocket easier?

11. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

You might also want to look at the Seidio Rugged. The very cool thing about this case is that it uses the Seidio Innocase slider case as its innermost layer, so when you're not wanting the protection of the bulky outer layer/exoskeleton, you can quickly pop that off and go with the inner Innocase as a fully protective slimmer slider case. I did a review of it here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1012039&highlight=

12. Roadking macrumors 6502

The clip is not attached to the case it is a holder for the case. Check out their website to see how the clip makes it into a stand. A buddy of mine doesn't even use the clip/holster he just uses the case and keeps it in his cargo pants pocket.

13. Roadking macrumors 6502

another alternative although I don't like the way it looks all that much is the Kracken sp? I like how the clip attaches directly to the case and is easily removed. Nice design idea.

14. dizmonk macrumors regular

It's not yet available for the VIP4... Because of that I got the Trident Cyclops... Nice case.. It offers some protection but not enough as Defender or Kraken... I'm somewhat happy with it.

15. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

The clip is not build in, take a look at Otterbox website to give you an idea of how it looks.

16. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

You're kidding, right? You have that company in your signature! At least be smart if you're going to spam.

17. e5volcano thread starter macrumors regular

ok so the holster is a separate piece

So without the holster piece, just the plastic and silicone around it, does it make the iphone very bulky?

18. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

Look at the review I did of the Seidio case. I have a comparison pic or two of it with the Otterbox Defender. But to answer your question, yes, it does make the phone pretty bulky...about 1/2" to 3/4" thick.

19. e5volcano thread starter macrumors regular

Besides the Otterbox Defender, are there any other cases with integrated screen protector?

20. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

While it's not out yet, Griffin is coming out with an Otterbox Defender style case called the Survivor. Check this thread out for pics. Very similar to the Defender and also has an integrated screen protector on it. I'm actually looking forward to this one whenever it comes out.

21. e5volcano thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I saw the survivor, but it seems bulkier than the Defender case? My friend would like something leaner than the Defender case (since he puts his iphone in pocket, not clip on) but still wants integrated screen protector

22. psyduckiee macrumors regular

You can tell by the video that griffin posted on YouTube that the Survivor is one bulky case. It has way too much silicone and will definitely stick more than the Defender when pulling it out of your pocket.

23. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

OK, if you wanted something skinnier then your only other option, as far as I'm aware, would be the iSkin Revo4. Skinnier and has a front screen protection built in.

24. JASApplications macrumors 65816

The Otterbox Commuter doesn't have a built in screen protector but it's a bit less bulky compared to the Defender! http://www.otterbox.com/iPhone-4-Co...XX_color=20&start=3&cgid=apple-iphone-4-cases