Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alebar14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Auckland CBD, New Zealand
Currently, I want to buy a portable laptop and I am looking at two type of Macbook Pro and one type Powerbook G4. I will use it mostly for Graphic Design work (as a freelance designer). I will use Adobe CS3 or Adobe CS2 as the applications (Photoshop, inDesign, and Illustrator).

1. Powerbook G4 1.67 Ghz DL-SD at NZ$2,000 (secondhand) or
2. Macbook Pro 15" Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz at NZ$2,500 (secondhand) or
3. Macbook Pro 15" Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz at NZ$2,490 (brand new).

Which one should I chose?

alebar14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Auckland CBD, New Zealand
My budget are very limited...

At the moment my budget are very limited. I am trying to sell my Nikon D70 kits at around NZ$2,500 (reserved price). If I will be lucky, hope to sold my kits at NZ$3,000 tags which I can buy Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz with no hesitation.

But if the kits would sold at NZ$2,500 ,then the only hope would go for used Macbook 2.0Ghz or the used Powerbook 1.67 Ghz. But I want to buy a machine which I can rely on for another 4-5 years.

Help me....!

thworple

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2005
Sussex, England
If you're going to be using CS3 then a MBP is the only way to go, especially if you're wanting the machine to last 4-5 years. If you need it to last that long you'll want to go for as higher spec as possible.

As for the Powerbook, it's already a machine that is 18months out of date, and wouldn't stand the test of time anywhere near as well as the MBP.

Bottom line is the go for a MBP, and a copy of CS3 (CS2 only being a PowerPC app, which will run under Rosetta on an Intel Machine) - you say your budget is tight, but if you want a machine thats going to last you a few years, and you're using it to do graphics work that may earn you money - then its worth investing.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
...the Powerbook, it's already a machine that is 18months out of date, and wouldn't stand the test of time anywhere near as well as the MBP.

Bottom line is the go for a MBP, and a copy of CS3 (CS2 only being a PowerPC app, which will run under Rosetta on an Intel Machine) - you say your budget is tight, but if you want a machine thats going to last you a few years, and you're using it to do graphics work that may earn you money - then its worth investing.

I would like to agree fully here but I cant. The Powerbook was and still is a great machine and handles photography well just as it did before the Intels. The spec difference between the PB and the MBP are very slight other than different processors. If you are on a tight budget, then get the Powerbook or a refurb MBP (but find a good one!)

Software wise, CS2 is cheaper to get hold of now so with the PB, you are more flexible with your money. I do recommend CS3 though. Excellent new suite.

But like thworple said, you're work will earn you money. You just have to decide if to go for something in your budget and then save some money to reinvest in a newer computer or go the whole hog and get a SR MBP/CS3. The only thing you'll then need is clients.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Currently, I want to buy a portable laptop and I am looking at two type of Macbook Pro and one type Powerbook G4. I will use it mostly for Graphic Design work (as a freelance designer). I will use Adobe CS3 or Adobe CS2 as the applications (Photoshop, inDesign, and Illustrator).

1. Powerbook G4 1.67 Ghz DL-SD at NZ$2,000 (secondhand) or
2. Macbook Pro 15" Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz at NZ$2,500 (secondhand) or
3. Macbook Pro 15" Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz at NZ$2,490 (brand new).

Which one should I chose?

The Powerbook G4 is a nice machine, but not for that money. If you can find a good deal at Apple refurbished store, go for it (full warranty). Otherwise, for NZ$500 difference, I don't think I would take the used one. Especially if you want to use it for 4-5 years; by that time there will be 4GB RAM chips, so you will be able to upgrade a new model to 8GB, and in 4-5 years time you will need that :p

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
The Powerbook is a tad overpriced and only worth considering if you have any MacOS 9 programs that you cannot do without, which have not been ported over to Mac OS X. From what I can remember, there were some problems with banding on that model.

The MBP CD quite apart from the reported heat and reliability problems should have the best screen of the the three, but can only take up to 2GB of RAM (got this from MacTracker, dunno if it is strictly true), so as a graphic artist, you may outgrow this sooner than you think. It also lacks FW800 and the airport extreme card, if that matters to you.

The Mac C2D (I had one of these) worked well, but had a really awful grainy screen, as did many other makes of this generation due to an over-exuberant application of the anti-glare covering on the screen. One "innovation" that the manufacturers have wisely reined in since. As you are a graphic designer, make sure you see it before you buy, to check whether you can live with it. If you can, I would plump for this out of the three.

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
You can find early MBP's for under $1500 us right now. I would take that option. Perhaps a core duo model. That way you would still get the intel platform with the reduced price. It should be useful for the next OS. I have a feeling when they release the next OS, they will only support intel.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
I would like to agree fully here but I cant. The Powerbook was and still is a great machine and handles photography well just as it did before the Intels. The spec difference between the PB and the MBP are very slight other than different processors. If you are on a tight budget, then get the Powerbook or a refurb MBP (but find a good one!)

I have a PB, a Macbook and a MBP and I can tell you even the Macbook smokes the PowerBook.

I couldn't recommend a PB unless there was a larger price difference.

unwinded

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
The Powerbook is not worth the buy at all, not at that price.

A Core 2 Macbook (non-pro) is actually an even better deal and will now run non-classic PowerPC apps even better than the Powerbook. The Macbook doesn't get much love among professionals due to its integrated graphics.

Benchmarks and real gaming tests have proven that it can hold its own in comparison to the G4 Powerbooks and iBooks despite their dedicated graphics cards but everybody seems to ignore that fact. The 9700 was never a great card and the Apple version was held back by 4x AGP and the G4 processor. Besides, Photoshop doesn't use the graphics card anyways.

If you can do without a backlit keyboard and live with slightly less screen resolution and size, then a Macbook is an even better value.

Otherwise the Macbook Pro (either one) is the better buy.

I had a Macbook Pro Core 2 until recently. The aluminum scratched too much, the backlit keyboard wasn't a big deal and never came on as much as I thought it would, and the wi-fi signal was weak (I'm guessing because of the Aluminum?). I was able to sell it for about what I paid for it right before the Santa Rosa models came out. I picked up a Macbook instead and have been highly satisfied. The plastic holds up to scratches very well and I really like the magnetic latch. The keyboard is ackward at first, but so easy to type on that I now prefer this design. I don't play games or do 3D modeling but I have found that many of my old favorites work just great.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
You are just starting out, so money will be tight, and you have a lot of costly mistakes to make while you learn about the business side of things.

I would stay away from a top of the line MBP, unless you are already earning money and have a steady job.

Have you considered a refurb MacBook C2D with an external monitor? This would get you a lot more than 15'' of space and a high quality display, plus the benefits of portability when you need it. A monitor with integral USB hub would also let you keep your mouse, keyboard, printer, external drive etc permanently plugged into it, and only one thing to plug into your macbook. You also get a full warranty from the Apple refurb store.

I own a PB15 1.5GHZ and my brother's CD macbook is far faster.

The PB15 is still a lovely machine, but it's feeling its age, some of the ports are dead, and I feel I'm missing out on some of the windows capabilities that Intel macs have (especially with respect to web design, where I can't test on a modern IE browser).

One benefit of a PB has been to impress clients when I visit them, but honestly, that's not really much of a help, and a 10 year old PB15 for $300 would do that just as well.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
I have a PB, a Macbook and a MBP and I can tell you even the Macbook smokes the PowerBook.

I couldn't recommend a PB unless there was a larger price difference.

Well you can see from my sig what I own. Yes, the Macbook is ALOT faster than a Powerbook. However, on a price budget, you cant afford to always have the latest and greatest so you have to make allowances.

A newer machine will last longer BUT only if you can afford it to start with

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Right now on the US Apple Store, there is a refurb 2.33 C2D 15" for 1900 USD. That's 2500 Kiwis, so I'd consider going refurb instead of "used." You'll get the year's warranty and a chance at refurb bonuses.

The US refurb store updates on Tuesday mornings... check back then and you'll likely find an even better deal.

If your time frame is 4-5 years, you gotta get the intel. Either that, or get a MUCH MUCH MUCH better deal on the PowerBook you're looking at.

booksacool1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
Australia
They want $2000NZD for a 1.67ghz powerbook? What a total rip. Just ignore it, even though its 1.67ghz, its not nearly as powerful.
If your having trouble affording a MBP, I'd recommend the macbook. Its reasonably powerful for cpu-only tasks.

However if you do want a dedicated GPU (which I'd recommend), the second hand MBP would be a good choice. Try and get it a few $100 cheaper as it is a rather old Core Duo model which has been superceeded twice. Its price doesn't seem to reflect that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.