Is Purchasing Applecare for MacBook Pro 2011 Worth It?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DJKEWU, May 10, 2012.

1. DJKEWU macrumors newbie

Hey Everyone,

The warranty for my MacBook Pro 2011 is just about up....haven't had any issuses during this first year.....should I pay $250 for 2 more years of warranty or let it go? The hubby says let it go.....what say Apple peeps?

2. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

I always recommend that my customers buy it, even if they don't get it from me. Almost everything in the portable computers is integrated onto the main logic board, so if something small goes it can still be a major repair expense.

You might try to find AppleCare cheaper online, you used to be able to get it at a decent discount.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display

• You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
    • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
    • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
      It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
    • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
    • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
    • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.

As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.

4. AFPoster macrumors 65816

5. jdwagner888 macrumors regular

Yes yes yes! I have had nothing but success stories with the applecare service! I have walked in with full water damage, told them it was water damage and they gave me a brand new macbook pro!

Go for it!

6. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Yes, I think that it is a good deal. I truly depend on my MBP so Applecare is peace of mind. I have had two colleagues that used their Applecare which would have cost them dearly without it.

-P

7. bvanlieu macrumors member

I use applecare. I normally am not a huge fan of extended warranties but given how these are assembled an what I use them for (one is a HTPC, one is a work machine, other is a work/home machine) I think the somewhat reasonable cost of AC is what I want in case of an issue so I don't have to deal with it.

I used to repair macs and other computers when I was in school so I am capable of fixing most things myself: but my time is better spent doing other things.

Of the 6 macs in the past 4 years we have had (3 laptops, 3 desktops), we have used it 3 different times. That is not to say there is a 50% failure rate...not at all. However for 2 of those 3 repairs its 'paid for itself' as screens needed to be replaced, in once case outside of 1 year.

I always buy it aftermarket as well..B&H Photo usually has very consistent pricing under MSRP.

- b

8. raxafarian macrumors regular

Peace of mind... like any insurance...

Plus... if you want to sell it in a year the applecare will add value and make it easier to sell.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If your husband says let it go… let it go. Just have him foot the repair bills ;)

Or better yet, get a computer next time this one breaks out of warranty :)

10. abhinav7333 macrumors member

My question is would you buy a extended warranty with a toyota?

11. 9Benua macrumors member

12. lexdiamonnyc macrumors member

normally, I'd say no.....it's not worth it. BUT, having seen applecare in action in the past.......I'd say YES, it's absolutely worth it.

the 'no questions asked' approach to a lot of what they do is great, I've made 4 visits to the Genius Bar in the past and every time my issue was resolved the first time......I have nothing but good things to say about Apple's customer service:cool:

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

Since purchasing 6 Macs since 2005, I bought Applecare on my first PPC mini and on an iBook G4. I bought Applecare on both, but never had a hardware problem on either. Since then I've bought 4 Intel Macs, but skipped Applecare on all 4. None of my Macs have had hardware problems. My feeling is problems are most likely to show up in the first year, when I have the normal warranty. The cost of Applecare for the 4 Intel Macs would now buy me a new MBP. I tend to be easy on my electronics, so I don't think the Applecare is needed for my case.

14. parish macrumors 65816

parish

Neither am I normally as they usually contain so many get-out clauses that they aren't worth anything. However, AC is different as Apple will honour it 100%. As people have mentioned above, they even will replace/repair machines you damaged.

In my case, they replaced the logic board in my MBP after the AC had expired :D

15. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

yes it is...they replace my ac cord like 5 times and even my optical bay....i am mad my 1 year warranty expired on iMac 5 days ago...i really wanted apple care but for some reason cloud erase the reminder i had entered.

16. salacious macrumors 6502a

well in america its probably worth it, however in england we have a law stating that laptops must be free from fault for at least 5 years from purchase date, by which that means my 2011 mbp will be severely outdated in that time, and also i trust myself not to damage it.

my opinion, if you have the money to spend and dont need to buy anything then go ahead and get the care, if you dont, then consider your activities and take a chance..

17. firemedicmark macrumors 6502

18. ano0oj macrumors 6502

It really depends on your uses with the laptop. If you plan on taking it around more than it staying put, then yes I would definitely consider it.
    Plus I believe you can find them for cheaper than retail on ebay

19. firemedicmark macrumors 6502

Yes, and as mentioned by someone else..check ebay for possible lower prices

20. ibis99 macrumors regular

It's Worth It.

It's like car insurance. You may never need it, but when you do you'll be glad you have it.

21. abhinav7333 macrumors member

Try square trade. I got a warranty for $169. Although not convenient as apple care, they are pretty good on their word.

22. thundersteele macrumors 68030

If you can afford to buy a new one in case of a failure, I would go without applecare. Usually these machines don't break ;)

23. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Worth is always highly subjective. There are plenty of opinions posted in existing threads if that's what you're after:
    https://www.google.com/search?ix=ac...b&fp=dd7cf850984208aa&ix=aca&biw=1679&bih=929

I am, actually. Never assume that your preferences are universal no matter what the topic.

Just keep in mind that AppleCare != insurance.

Poor analogy. Car insurance is mandatory around here.

24. sppl macrumors newbie

Get the apple care

I think it's worth it. I recently paid $310 to get logic board and battery replaced for my 3yr old MacBook pro. I didn't have apple care.

25. ak47-whaaa macrumors newbie

What would they call a natural defect though?