iPad mini is retina display a certainity ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hbksabhi, Sep 22, 2013.

1. hbksabhi macrumors regular

Please share opinions because if i sell my mini now i will be without ipad till december and if then also mini has no retina then i would be kicking myself

2. Cobster macrumors member

your guess is pretty much as good as anyones else...

3. Tysknaden macrumors regular

Tysknaden

It's retina, when it's retina :)
    Only my guessing: It will be retina. But I will not take the blame, if Apple decides otherwise. There are many options for improving the lame and outdated innards of the Mini; it would be possible, to make a major update without having to include retina - that's the margin of risc.

4. AWflorida macrumors newbie

AWflorida

Why would you get rid of the mini now? Apple products still hold a good resale value even after the new models are announced. Keep your mini and wait for the announcement of the new product line determine what you should do. Anything posted on these message boards concerning retina or non retina is all speculation. I hope they upgrade the display and it makes sense that Apple will but we will only find out when the specs are released.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It's definitely a certainty. Unless it isn't.

6. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

I think it will get retina but not Touch ID until the next one. I do want both though.

7. irDigital0l Guest

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Well, I think that Apple pretty much has no choice but to release a retina mini -- considering the competition from other higher resolution 7 inch tablets. If they don't bump the resolution, it would be an embarrassment and a major PR fail. They are already late IMO.

9. BerlingerT macrumors member

BerlingerT

Just wait until the new models come out if you want to exchange your current Mini for a Retina model. There's no point in getting rid of it beforehand. All that would do is leave you without a tablet to work on.

10. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

To me it's still 50/50. Doing an update where current users will upgrade will be difficult without a retina screen. On the other hand they may want to leave the iPad as the sole retina screen to monotize it just a bit longer. I think the Mini was more popular than even Apple planned. Personally for the me the Mini has made the iPad irrelevant. I highly prefer the form factor of the mini.

Another option I wouldn't doubt is making the iPad Mini Retina a separate, higher priced model running the middle ground between the Mini and iPad.

11. racer1441 macrumors 68000

They have to do retina. When you look at the screen on the nexus vs the mini, you have to move to retina to keep interest.

That also become a major reason for upgrades.

12. E.Lizardo macrumors 65816

If you go by the opinions on this thread there's a good chance you'll be kicking yourself.Nobody here knows.You'll have to decide for yourself.

13. Tysknaden macrumors regular

Tysknaden

Irrelevant is the Mini

For people like me, who are using the big iPad as a full replacement for the usage of a laptop, things look quite different. With retina, the Mini would become the better e-book reader. At the moment, I do not see one single quality - except easier transport - speaking for a Mini. The screen is just way to small for comfortable surfing or typing longer texts. And - at the moment - the resolution is suboptimal for reading e-books.
    The innards are outdated, and I would be careful with investing hope into the idea of receiving software updates for the Mini 1 over a long period. The smaller overall size and lower weight of the iPad 5 will have an impact, too.
    There are so many "I_am_sooo_happy_with_my_Mini"-threads - it does not take a title in psychology, to understand, what this really means: Desparately trying to feel better with having invested money into the inferior product. Isn't it a little bit mean, to mislead other people - just for feeling better with the own wrong decision?
    The Mini is just a toy - but way too slow for good usage as a gaming device.

14. Stewart21 macrumors regular

What a load of tosh. The Ipad Mini is a perfectly acceptable e-book reader, much better than Kindle, Kobo et al, except in bright sunlight. I also find it more than acceptable for e-mail, casual gaming and web browsing. I also use online banking apps. Yes, a retina screen would be nice but that alone would not push me into upgrading. IOS 7 on my Ipad Mini is super stable and is faster than IOS6 was. It's also my replacement for my laptop when I'm travelling.

15. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I agree about the iPad mini being fine as it is and iOS7 runs well on my mini but I have to disagree about it being a better ebook reader than a dedicated eink device. Even with a retina display I'd take an eink device for reading. I have a kindle paperwhite, kobo and nook and prefer them to any of my backlit LCD devices.

16. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Have you though that it might just be possible that some people are genuinely happy with their iPad mini? The device may have an older chipset but it's fast enough for me. There is no lag or stutter. It is responsive and fluid. I want a portable tablet for watching iTunes content, streaming videos, playing games and web browsing. The iPad mini does that just fine. Some people prefer a smaller device. I have a samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1 and found it too cumbersome to carry around on my commute. I don't need a larger tablet to carry with me when I'm out. I'd prefer to carry a smaller tablet and if need be my chromebook if I need to do some work. For some people the smaller size will be fine and others will prefer a larger screen. We are not all the same. As for gaming not everyone plays hardcore games. I play stuff like angry birds, mega jump, cut the rope, battleships etc. These games work perfectly well on my iPad mini. Not everyone wants to play call of duty or infinity blade, however I've seen demos of these games and they work well enough on the mini.

17. satchmo macrumors 68000

I disagree about holding onto your iPad mini until a new one is released.

While Apple products generally hold their value, a retina iPad mini will significantly lower the value of your current non-retina iPad.

If you don't need your iPad for work or mission critical stuff, sell it now!

If a retina iPad mini is priced too high, you can always buy back a new non-retina one probably at what you sold yours for. :)

18. BerlingerT macrumors member

BerlingerT

I have not made one of these "I am so Happy with my iPad Mini" topics, but I am one person who is very happy with mine. It isn't too small for heavy computing or anything like that.

First of all, it is a replacement for my laptop except for the features that any iPad cannot do, like uploading documents to a web site, since the iPad only allows attachments to be pictures.

What do I use my iPad Mini for? Casual stuff like Kindle, browsing the web, email, but I also use it for document-editing for freelance work and for keeping a database of resources for my IT job.

Is it too small? No. Not for me. I have eyes that are strained easily from having been born with crossed eyes (and had a proper surgery when I was an infant), but I have no problems using the iPad Mini for everything it can do that I don't absolutely require my laptop for. It sides on the side of my desk at work for my work database and it's perfect for that. A full sized iPad would not fit on that desk to use for that purpose. It's too big.

Also, as far as gaming is concerned, I also disagree. I have played a lot of iOS games on my iPad, and I've not had any trouble with anything, from Theatrhythm Final Fantasy to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. The iPad Mini, despite having iPad 2 specs, is perfectly capable of playing games even the iPad 2 cannot, like Dues Ex: The Fall. I play games on it all the time, and I have yet to have a complaint.

I don't try to desperately make myself feel better over the investment. I had the money to either buy the Mini or a full-sized iPad when I bought it, and I had used both a full sized and mini before. I preferred the Mini, so that is what I got.

All in all, I think the iPad Mini does have merit and many people are genuinely happy with it. I am.

19. Wbutchart macrumors regular

I would say no retina, why would they put retina in a low budget tablet and further erode profit margins? Retina will remain I think for the 5, the mini will get a boost maby some more pixels but I don't think retina.

20. Z3man macrumors 6502a

I think it has to go retina, there are loads of people on these forums just like me who will not buy one until they do. I have most apple products i want and the only new item i would spend money on would be a mini retina, so if apple don't produce one they will not be getting any more of my money until they do, and i think there are a lot of other people thinking the same, if they do release one with a retina screen i think it will be a massive seller for them.

21. Tysknaden macrumors regular

Tysknaden

I do not have the time for giving answer to each single reaction to my comment. But I want to assure you, that I am not a hater of the Mini; I don't have reason: I never bought such a device.
    One thing I want to correct: I do not say, the Mini is not usable as an e-book reader. In fact, my intent was, to point at the single thing, which makes the Mini superior to the "normal" sized iPad. And the one thing is - after retina has been introduced to the Mini - a better usability in things e-book reader.

22. hbksabhi thread starter macrumors regular

i have sold my ipad mini 16gb wifi only ,
    The reasons were :-
    1> i recently bought a macbook air but i still need the feel for tablet . Because i Wanted quality Display on Tablet i sold the mini .
    I want to have that awesome user experience that retina would provide
    2> 16gb was low even for apps
    3> Got a Good Price for it as it was replaced and new and unused .

----------

i think apple wont put retina on it as average consumers dont care much about retina and they buy it cause it looks cool and handy .

23. Becact macrumors member

I really don't think it will get retina, or if it does it'll be $399. If it were retina at $329 there wouldn't be enough differentiation from the ipad 5 at 499. Plus the hardware required to drive the retina would run the margins even lower, and ipad mini margin is already low for apple.

I predict a simple processor, ram, camera update. An ipad mini S if you will.

24. TJ5921, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

TJ5921 macrumors regular

I think retina will definitely be on the mini 2. Thinking about selling my 16 gb wifi mini now while it's worth more but not sure what to price it at. Could I get $280 for it? It's like new.

25. Donki macrumors newbie

No idea if it will be retina but I would say it will not be, as the above user said I can see a MiniS, even if it does come out with retinia I am more than happy with my Mini. TBH I use it more than the wifes iPad 3, for the commute the size facter is massive for me, as for reading books? I have no problems with the res, none whatsoever. More to life than specs and I wish people would simply judge things from a usability point of view at the end of the day thats whats important.

As for Tysknaden saying people saying were a bit "little man"? All I can say is LOL, catch a grip of yourself, who are you to judge anyone by what they choose to buy? Something seriously wrong if you judge people by the tech they buy.