Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tysknaden

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
As for Tysknaden saying people saying were a bit "little man"? All I can say is LOL, catch a grip of yourself, who are you to judge anyone by what they choose to buy? Something seriously wrong if you judge people by the tech they buy.

1) I think, too, that the Mini is a nice e-book reader. With having retina in the future, clearly superior to the bigger brother.
2) A lot of interpretation without base, you are making. I only say, that people, who are happy with a device do not frenetically advertise the big joy it is supposed to bring. Many users are just trying to make themselves believers in the Mini's qualities.

Donki

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2013
1) I think, too, that the Mini is a nice e-book reader. With having retina in the future, clearly superior to the bigger brother.
2) A lot of interpretation without base, you are making. I only say, that people, who are happy with a device do not frenetically advertise the big joy it is supposed to bring. Many users are just trying to make themselves believers in the Mini's qualities.

I think you will find its not just the mini that people seem to wet themselves over, some people are just like that. You are assuming these people are doing it to make themselves feel better about having a device they choose to buy. Again IMO people get to hung up on specs instead of actually how a device handles, yes the tech isn't the latest but it handles iOS7 perfectly and as well as the iPad4 IMO.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
When I first saw the iPhone 4, it became clear that this was more than just a cool phone feature, it was the future of displays for all devices. I resolved to include them in all future purchases. But finishing year 3 since that introduction, retina has made its way only to phones, half the iPads and barely half the laptops. Desktops remain at zero. What I hoped was a 2 year role out is turning out to take 4+ years.

So I picked up a an iPad mini last year, with no compunctions about the screen. It's taken over most of my computing work, personal + professional + communication (including this forum). And so happily. Would I upgrade to a retina mini, sure thing. Would I go back and deprive myself of the mini over the last year, no way. It's so portable, so multi talented, I'm getting rid of my MacBook in favor of a desktop that can do non portable tasks better (no small change having switched over to laptops some 15 years ago).

Will Apple add retina to the mini, absolutely. Whether that happens this time around is the question. If they released 2 new models and the retina was huge or had poor battery life, I would get the non retina model (assuming more ram) until that could be improved. I'm fine paying a premium for retina to be done right and 2 models would provide for the continuation of an economy iPad option.

Now if we could just get more developers to recognize that a smaller screen needs larger fonts...

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
After the release of the new nexus 7 and now new Kindle Fire HD's I would say that yes the mini will no way launch a new model with a non retina screen, too much compitittion has it now

Donki

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2013
After the release of the new nexus 7 and now new Kindle Fire HD's I would say that yes the mini will no way launch a new model with a non retina screen, too much compitittion has it now

The 2012 Nexus and the Kindle HD had a better screen res than the Mini, didn't stop the Mini selling a huge proportion of the market. IMO it's not a deal breaker.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
For people like me, who are using the big iPad as a full replacement for the usage of a laptop, things look quite different. With retina, the Mini would become the better e-book reader. At the moment, I do not see one single quality - except easier transport - speaking for a Mini. The screen is just way to small for comfortable surfing or typing longer texts. And - at the moment - the resolution is suboptimal for reading e-books.
The innards are outdated, and I would be careful with investing hope into the idea of receiving software updates for the Mini 1 over a long period. The smaller overall size and lower weight of the iPad 5 will have an impact, too.
There are so many "I_am_sooo_happy_with_my_Mini"-threads - it does not take a title in psychology, to understand, what this really means: Desparately trying to feel better with having invested money into the inferior product. Isn't it a little bit mean, to mislead other people - just for feeling better with the own wrong decision?
The Mini is just a toy - but way too slow for good usage as a gaming device.

If I wanted an iPad 4 I could have bought one, I simply don't like the size. Sure, the lower price tag is welcome over the full size but certainly isn't a deal breaker by any stretch. I use it at home as a remote for my HT, ebooks, games and web surfing on the couch. It's certainly a second device behind my notebook that gets most of the web surfing time. It plays games like Real Racing 3 just fine so not sure where you going there. Out and about for ebooks, gaming and video consumption. Seems to me you have a bit of a superiority complex because anyone who doesn't buy the top end product is just a poor man and is trying to make themselves feel better about their sad situation. Come on man. I'd gladly pay iPad money for an iPad Mini with 4/5 internals and a retina display. I do genuinely prefer the smaller size. Evidently it's difficult for you to imagine that some folks prefer different size products. Just like some want to stay with the current size iPhone and others are pleading for a larger one. Different strokes for different folks.

Tysknaden

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
What is your problem? It is you, who is speaking about prices. What I am interested in is just the screensize for writing texts and the pixeldensity for e-book reading. The fact, that Apple did use outdated internals for the Mini 1 from the start just makes it the double unreasonable not to wait for the Mini 2.
I did shamelessly use an iPad 1 until January of the running year. So stop, if possible, projecting schoolyard attitudes at me.

If I wanted an iPad 4 I could have bought one, I simply don't like the size. Sure, the lower price tag is welcome over the full size but certainly isn't a deal breaker by any stretch. I use it at home as a remote for my HT, ebooks, games and web surfing on the couch. It's certainly a second device behind my notebook that gets most of the web surfing time. It plays games like Real Racing 3 just fine so not sure where you going there. Out and about for ebooks, gaming and video consumption. Seems to me you have a bit of a superiority complex because anyone who doesn't buy the top end product is just a poor man and is trying to make themselves feel better about their sad situation. Come on man. I'd gladly pay iPad money for an iPad Mini with 4/5 internals and a retina display. I do genuinely prefer the smaller size. Evidently it's difficult for you to imagine that some folks prefer different size products. Just like some want to stay with the current size iPhone and others are pleading for a larger one. Different strokes for different folks.

BerlingerT

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
Amelia, Ohio
What is your problem? It is you, who is speaking about prices. What I am interested in is just the screensize for writing texts and the pixeldensity for e-book reading. The fact, that Apple did use outdated internals for the Mini 1 from the start just makes it the double unreasonable not to wait for the Mini 2.
I did shamelessly use an iPad 1 until January of the running year. So stop, if possible, projecting schoolyard attitudes at me.

Here is a question. Will Pixel Density make much of a difference in your e-Book reading experience? As it stands, the Mini is about the size of a small novel, so the size of it, along with other tablets and readers the same size, will be most comfortable among people who read a lot.

So, with the pixel density a bit less quality than other devices, will it really hamper the reading experience? I read on my Mini pretty much every day, though I have never had any issues with it, inside or outside.

Tysknaden

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
The Mini is somewhere in between the iPad 1's and the retina iPads pixel density.
Even the iPad 1 is usable as an e-book reader.
But just being usable cannot be good enough in the tablet market, as it looks now. And it should never have been good enough for Apple. Please do not tell me, the e-book function is not the main purpose of the Mini; it's the only thing it could do better than the bigger iPads - except being smaller.
And consider: Even their phone does have retina since years!

Here is a question. Will Pixel Density make much of a difference in your e-Book reading experience? As it stands, the Mini is about the size of a small novel, so the size of it, along with other tablets and readers the same size, will be most comfortable among people who read a lot.

So, with the pixel density a bit less quality than other devices, will it really hamper the reading experience? I read on my Mini pretty much every day, though I have never had any issues with it, inside or outside.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
My guess

iPad 2 is finally dropped. iPad Mini takes its place as the bottom end, non-retina iPad.

iPad Mini 2 gets retina, touch id, and spec bump.

iPad 5 gets touch id, spec bump, and the Mini slimming treatment.

The entire iPad lineup becomes all Lightning.

BerlingerT

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
Amelia, Ohio
The Mini is somewhere in between the iPad 1's and the retina iPads pixel density.
Even the iPad 1 is usable as an e-book reader.
But just being usable cannot be good enough in the tablet market, as it looks now. And it should never have been good enough for Apple. Please do not tell me, the e-book function is not the main purpose of the Mini; it's the only thing it could do better than the bigger iPads - except being smaller.
And consider: Even their phone does have retina since years!

That's true. The iPhone has been using Retina since the iPhone 4, I think.

The purpose of the Mini, I guess, is subjective. I think the purpose depends on the person. My reasoning would not be the norm, because I use it for pretty much everything it can that I don't absolutely require my laptop for. I keep a database for work (which was the original reason I got it. To have something to take notes and keep a database that is small enough to fit on my desk when tied with Logitech's keyboard for it), read books, play games, surf the web, do freelance work, skype with my girl, etc. That is obviously not what the average tablet owner uses tablets for.

For some, I'm sure it is useful as an e-reader for the main purpose. But, buying an iPad Mini to use solely as an e-reader doesn't make sense from a financial perspective. You could buy an e-reader for less than half the price.

When it first came out, I believe they showed it as something that could do everything the iPad could, but in a smaller package. I think that is the main point of it. It was a full iPad, but a more convenient size for travel, similar to comparing Laptops to Netbooks. Netbooks were smaller and easier to carry around, while having the burden of lowered specs, similar to the iPad Mini versus the normal sized iPad, with the Retina being one of the 'specs' that it lacks.

Last edited:

journeyy

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
My guess is a 299/399 split between the non-Retina and the Retina version. It would basically have to be a smaller and much lighter Ipad 4, i don't think Apple would be able to hold their margins at 329.

Tysknaden

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
My guess is a 299/399 split between the non-Retina and the Retina version. It would basically have to be a smaller and much lighter Ipad 4, i don't think Apple would be able to hold their margins at 329.

This would be another milestone in Apple's self destruction.
Living from a brand's image, but continuing selling a growing number of outdated device types can only lead into destruction. It is already a shame, that the iPhone 4 is still offered in some countries, that the iPad 2 is still offered. All this brought money, but did hurt the brand's premium-image. And now endlessly offering a non-retina Mini? Jobs would lose his temper. It is big time for stopping this offering of devices, which must be a failure in every competition with other companies products.

BerlingerT

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
Amelia, Ohio
This would be another milestone in Apple's self destruction.
Living from a brand's image, but continuing selling a growing number of outdated device types can only lead into destruction. It is already a shame, that the iPhone 4 is still offered in some countries, that the iPad 2 is still offered. All this brought money, but did hurt the brand's premium-image. And now endlessly offering a non-retina Mini? Jobs would lose his temper. It is big time for stopping this offering of devices, which must be a failure in every competition with other companies products.

How is the Mini a failure? I mean, from Apple's perspective, the iPad Mini did a lot better than even they thought it would. It easily overtook sales of the full-sized iPad. And in that first year, it still oversold the Nexus 7.

As long as the hardware and specs are still supported, it's alright. Not everyone is rich and can afford to spend $400-500 on a new tablet or computer. People who don't need it to do super-heavy computing would be fine with even an iPad 2 right now, since technically, they are still supporting it. Recently, Apple did an update on Dues Ex: The Fall, previously incompatible with the 2 to add iPad 2 Functionality.

PCs do the same. They don't only offer the most advanced version of their product. That only appeals to the super rich who can afford to make such huge purchases. They have the lower-end versions so more people can actually afford it.

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/2...taking-ipad-sales-faster-than-apple-expected/

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2277029/apples-ipad-mini-makes-up-60-percent-of-ios-sales

http://news.yahoo.com/nexus-7-sales-soared-2012-still-fell-short-225058966.html

Tysknaden

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
Have a look at the competitors new products. I am writing about today - not about the past.

How is the Mini a failure? I mean, from Apple's perspective, the iPad Mini did a lot better than even they thought it would. It easily overtook sales of the full-sized iPad. And in that first year, it still oversold the Nexus 7.

As long as the hardware and specs are still supported, it's alright. Not everyone is rich and can afford to spend $400-500 on a new tablet or computer. People who don't need it to do super-heavy computing would be fine with even an iPad 2 right now, since technically, they are still supporting it. Recently, Apple did an update on Dues Ex: The Fall, previously incompatible with the 2 to add iPad 2 Functionality.

PCs do the same. They don't only offer the most advanced version of their product. That only appeals to the super rich who can afford to make such huge purchases. They have the lower-end versions so more people can actually afford it.

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/2...taking-ipad-sales-faster-than-apple-expected/

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2277029/apples-ipad-mini-makes-up-60-percent-of-ios-sales

http://news.yahoo.com/nexus-7-sales-soared-2012-still-fell-short-225058966.html

naughtynumber9

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
It prett much has to. The Nexus and the new Kindle both have retina equivalent displays, specs that obliterate the Mini, and they're just over half the Mini's price. It was built with a bunch of dated hardware even at the time of it's release. I thought it was a joke that it didn't initially come with a retina display. The technology had been there for years. Apple's way tardy to this party and they'll need to trot out a fantastic Mini 2 or risk further deterioration to their brand.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Retina has to happen, IMO. Like others have said, it would make Apple look really bad to consumers who know if they release another tablet at non-retina levels when Amazon and Google keep upping the ante and pixels. Amazon even is releasing a competitor to the full-size iPad that tops it in number of pixels.

BerlingerT

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
Amelia, Ohio
Have a look at the competitors new products. I am writing about today - not about the past.

Fair enough. Here are some recent articles that still show competitors having trouble trying to catch up to the popularity and sales of the Mini. Not to mention that the article I posted in the previous post about iPad Mini making up roughly 60% of the iPad revenue was for 2013, not 2012.

http://bgr.com/2013/09/27/8-inch-tablet-sales-ipad-mini/#comments

Also on competitors, the following article is showing that Android has taken the lead in sales, but also states that both the iPad and the Mini remain the best-selling models of tablets out at the moment.

http://t.nbcnews.com/technology/android-overtakes-ipad-tablet-race-8C11278308

Are specs going to be better for new competitors? Of course. The iPad Mini is what? A year old already? A year for newer tablets to come out with better specs to compete with it.

I mean, take it from a PC perspective. If I want a small tablet to be my PC, do I want an iPad Mini, or do I want, say, an Iconia W3. A W3 has full Windows 8 on it, and Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 built in for less than $400. But it has flaws, just like the iPad Mini does. However, from that perspective, I would go for the W3 because it can effectively replace my PC and do many of the things iOS cannot do, such as use USB peripherals, run Windows applications without Remote Desktop, etc etc.

On the other hand, iOS has a lot of support from a lot of people, from apps to accessories. Microsoft's store isn't anywhere near the store the App Store is, or Google Play store, for that matter. And if you look at it from a gaming perspective, iOS is the way to go. Most iOS games come out on Android, for example, but not all. Some stay exclusive to iOS. So gamers who are actual gamers (not people who casually play Angry Birds all the time. I'm talking about the people who get games like Dues Ex, Doom, Final Fantasy V, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic) would go for iOS over Android and Windows.

Let's talk about accessories, too. Logitech keyboards. The iPad Mini has the Ultrathin Keyboard Mini, which works exceptionally well and I like it better than the Android keyboards for the fact that it is a magnetic dock for the iPad, essentially turning it into a mini laptop, whereas the first keyboards I saw from Logitech for the Android tablets stand in front of a propped tablet. There's nothing wrong with this, but I feel the Ultrathin Mini gives more convenience, essentially giving you one thing to carry, not to mention that is hinges on the Mini and folds together, making it carryable like a single book;.

Unfortunately, I found little other Logitech accessories for Android/W8 to compare it to.

From a spec perspective, the Mini will lose to many newer devices, but specs don't mean sales, necessarily. People like certain brands. iOS fans will keep buying iOS devices and the question will truly be who has the bigger user-base?

xNYMetsx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
If I were Apple I would most certainly go with a Retina display to be able to compete with the other 7" tablets. We aren't supposed to go backwards in screen technology.

Tysknaden

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
What happened to the phone will happen in the tablet sector, again. i will leave this thread, now. It was nice - having discussion with you. Have a nice day, and let's hope, that your optimistic view proves to be right. I am deep into the Apple ecosystem, so I do not want them to go the RIM or Nokia way.
My sympathy is with Apple; - just not with Cook or Schiller (and not with Ive, anymore). Cook is way to greedy, completely focused on the profit margin like hypnotized and decides without vision, Schiller did slap the buyers with his bold attitude of feeling obviously good with selling already scratched devices, Ive is colorblind and also destroyed the iOS musicplayer's ergonomy.

Fair enough. Here are some recent articles that still show competitors having trouble trying to catch up to the popularity and sales of the Mini. Not to mention that the article I posted in the previous post about iPad Mini making up roughly 60% of the iPad revenue was for 2013, not 2012.

http://bgr.com/2013/09/27/8-inch-tablet-sales-ipad-mini/#comments

Also on competitors, the following article is showing that Android has taken the lead in sales, but also states that both the iPad and the Mini remain the best-selling models of tablets out at the moment.

http://t.nbcnews.com/technology/android-overtakes-ipad-tablet-race-8C11278308

Are specs going to be better for new competitors? Of course. The iPad Mini is what? A year old already? A year for newer tablets to come out with better specs to compete with it.

I mean, take it from a PC perspective. If I want a small tablet to be my PC, do I want an iPad Mini, or do I want, say, an Iconia W3. A W3 has full Windows 8 on it, and Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 built in for less than $400. But it has flaws, just like the iPad Mini does. However, from that perspective, I would go for the W3 because it can effectively replace my PC and do many of the things iOS cannot do, such as use USB peripherals, run Windows applications without Remote Desktop, etc etc.

On the other hand, iOS has a lot of support from a lot of people, from apps to accessories. Microsoft's store isn't anywhere near the store the App Store is, or Google Play store, for that matter. And if you look at it from a gaming perspective, iOS is the way to go. Most iOS games come out on Android, for example, but not all. Some stay exclusive to iOS. So gamers who are actual gamers (not people who casually play Angry Birds all the time. I'm talking about the people who get games like Dues Ex, Doom, Final Fantasy V, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic) would go for iOS over Android and Windows.

Let's talk about accessories, too. Logitech keyboards. The iPad Mini has the Ultrathin Keyboard Mini, which works exceptionally well and I like it better than the Android keyboards for the fact that it is a magnetic dock for the iPad, essentially turning it into a mini laptop, whereas the first keyboards I saw from Logitech for the Android tablets stand in front of a propped tablet. There's nothing wrong with this, but I feel the Ultrathin Mini gives more convenience, essentially giving you one thing to carry, not to mention that is hinges on the Mini and folds together, making it carryable like a single book;.

Unfortunately, I found little other Logitech accessories for Android/W8 to compare it to.

From a spec perspective, the Mini will lose to many newer devices, but specs don't mean sales, necessarily. People like certain brands. iOS fans will keep buying iOS devices and the question will truly be who has the bigger user-base?

Last edited:

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
What happened to the phone will happen in the tablet sector, again. i will leave this thread, now. It was nice - having discussion with you. Have a nice day, and let's hope, that your optimistic view proves to be right. I am deep into the Apple ecosystem, so I do not want them to go the RIM or Nokia way.
My sympathy is with Apple; - just not with Cook or Schiller (and not with Ive, anymore). Cook is way to greedy, completely focused on the profit margin like hypnotized and decides without vision, Schiller did slap the buyers with his bold attitude of feeling obviously good with selling already scratched devices, Ive is colorblind and also destroyed the iOS musicplayer's ergonomy.

Thank god someone else sees the crap going on in apple, and it's not just me having these weird interceptions.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
I am deep into the Apple ecosystem, so I do not want them to go the RIM or Nokia way.

Speaking as someone who hung on during the darkest Amelio days, apple needn't be perfect to do better than Nokia. There will always be enough passion in the people making their stuff to at least in part, compensate for any lack of effective leadership.

And I think we're all adjusting to life after Steve. It's just not possible to find that combination of inspiration and restraint elsewhere in corporate America. But perhaps with time, the new team will find their own direction.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
i am thinking that the next mini will be retina but that it won't come out until 2014 unlike the iPad 5 which will come out in October.

now that i type that i'm not sure if i even agree with it...i am fairly certain that option came up at the Apple round table but was probably quickly countered with "we don't want to split them up"

however I agree with others claiming that there is significant market pressure for a "retina" mini. more so than touch ID i would imagine.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
i am thinking that the next mini will be retina but that it won't come out until 2014 unlike the iPad 5 which will come out in October.

now that i type that i'm not sure if i even agree with it...i am fairly certain that option came up at the Apple round table but was probably quickly countered with "we don't want to split them up"

however I agree with others claiming that there is significant market pressure for a "retina" mini. more so than touch ID i would imagine.

Well there have been shells for both the iPad mini 2 (because some shells have been seen in Space Gray [new color]) and the newly redesigned iPad 5. So they are definitely refreshing both this October. However the question is whether they simply give the iPad mini an A6x chip with no Retina, and announce a iPad mini A7x chip with Retina, and maybe Touch ID in ~February (which Kuo has speculated plans for) or whether they simply announce 2 updates for iPad mini this October.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.