Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
works here as well...

perhaps a better thread title would be: "site doesn't open in safari"; the browser's hardly garbage because you can't access one site.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Sometimes browsers don't work well when they get "too filled" with cache and cookies. A few years ago in a corporate job where I was doing some web development and testing, I noticed that Chrome was increasingly behaving - ultimately not working with many of our corporate sites. I was loathe to follow the standard advice (clear cache and cookies" but finally decided to do so. It took nearly 10 minutes to complete the task, but everything worked perfectly after that.
In general, I am a fan of Safari over the other 2 browsers. It has some amount of corporate development and OS-level testing. Not so sure about the other 2. That said, I use the other 2 all the time, just not as my default. I know many others that love Chrome and Firefox.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
On a website frequented almost exclusively by Mac devotees, what is the response going to be to the question in the Topic line? Hmmm.o_O

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I have weird experiences with all browsers sometimes. Because of this, on any computer I usually have 3 installed depending on the OS. On macs, Safari, chrome, and Firefox. On Windows 7, Firefox, and chrome. Windows 10, Firefox, Chrome, and Edge.

All of them have their place. Certain websites work better on different browsers. Some pages, such as mega don't work with anything but chrome. This website (macrumors) sometimes gives SSL errors on Firefox. When that happens I use Safari.

With all of this in mind, I consider FireFox my daily driver, and I use it the majority of the time unless for some reason I need to open one of the other browsers. If on a Mac, Safari is my next go to. Chrome is my least favorite, though it does have a time and a place.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Ad Block installed, not activated. Didn't open in Safari.
Tried Chrome, a pop-up loaded before the page opened.
I have an adBlock so this could be the reason it failed
Other sites for instance twitter open very slow
[doublepost=1555202956][/doublepost]
Sometimes browsers don't work well when they get "too filled" with cache and cookies. A few years ago in a corporate job where I was doing some web development and testing, I noticed that Chrome was increasingly behaving - ultimately not working with many of our corporate sites. I was loathe to follow the standard advice (clear cache and cookies" but finally decided to do so. It took nearly 10 minutes to complete the task, but everything worked perfectly after that.
In general, I am a fan of Safari over the other 2 browsers. It has some amount of corporate development and OS-level testing. Not so sure about the other 2. That said, I use the other 2 all the time, just not as my default. I know many others that love Chrome and Firefox.
Did this a while ago
[doublepost=1555203065][/doublepost]
I believe it's probably caused by an AD blocker extension too. I had random issues like this with other AD blockers until I removed them and installed Wipr.

The link works well for me.
maybe I should give wipr a go

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Link works fine across all devices and machines. As others have stated it must be some third party extension installed causing the problem.
Have used Chrome and Firefox - no thanks, I’ll stick with Safari.
One little hick-up, not caused by the app, but it’s garbage, err, no.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
That link is practically malware, I guess the web dev from Huffington Post is outsourcing their work....

It's tracking and loading ads faster than Safari can natively block the suspicion ones. On top of that is playing a full res video ad at the top. If you goto Development > Disable Javascript / check. It will become more manageable. Its doing everything that Safari in MacOS hates. If you inspect the webpage there is a couple errors running in loops too.

Scrolling up and down the webpage I could get CPU usage to 90%+ with nearly a GB of RAM being used.

Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 9.03.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 9.03.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 9.19.37 AM.png

My 2013 iMac and 2018 MBP both lagged a bit vs average webpages. It sucks down a lot of data too so its going to load slower.

Last edited:

Zelda Chestnut

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2018
Safari can’t even play YouTube videos in 4K, so, yeah...

I am so happy I read this comment of yours, because I had no idea that was a Safari restriction! I recently got a new 4K iMac, and to try out the new screen I went to YouTube 4K videos, but on Safari it doesnt go higher than 1080p! I was so frustrated. I see the 4K versions on Chrome now -- great to know, thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.