Is Skype pretty much unusable for anyone else?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by baryon, Dec 9, 2014.

1. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

I have a Mac with OS X Yosemite and an iPhone 4S with iOS 7. I depend on Skype since I work off-site and it's the only way we communicate at work. Well, if we could, that is.

Sometimes, when they call me, my iPhone will ring, but not my Mac. Sometimes it's the other way around. Sometimes neither will ring, and I just get a missed call that I had no chance of even picking up. Sometimes they'll tell me they can't reach me. Sometimes I try picking up on my iPhone but it doesn't pick up, it drops the call instantly. Sometimes I pick up on my Mac but they can't hear me.

About 90% of the time it ends with them calling me, me noticing they're calling, I hang up and call them back. That usually works.

My internet connection is very good and reliable, it has an actual 30Mbps download / 5Mbps upload speed and everything else works well, and when we're in a call, the sound and video is clear and perfect, almost always.

Am I alone with such issues, should I start troubleshooting, or is Skype actually a piece of **** since Microsoft bought it and there's nothing I can do?

2. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Sometimes my iphone will ring and my pc will not, similar to what you describe. But I don't use Skype really enough to care.

3. rluvbeach macrumors member

i'm pretty much down to using skype for outbound calls with my ipad.

4. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

skype/facetime

I've had similar problem with FaceTime. My iMac works fine but my MBP doesn't. Also, my brother has a Wifi conection that works fine with everything but FT. Any ideas??