Is Snow Leopard Worth the Wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TRAG, Feb 11, 2009.

1. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

I have a 15.4" MacBook Pro. It is the one right before the unibody aluminum ones came out. I bought it 3 months before the new ones came out and was thinking of selling mine, but I'm a college student and needed it.

Would now be a good time to sell my MacBook Pro and get a 13.3" MacBook, or should I wait for SNOW LEOPARD? Will it run on the new MacBooks or would there possibly be newer ones? The current MacBooks have the same processor and RAM as the one I have now. It has a better graphics card and better design. The only things I'd lose out on are the larger screen, slightly higher resolution, and FireWire 800. I don't even use the FireWire ports for my camera and I'm not into music. I've only used it once with a DV camcorder. Plus there are FireWire to USB converters.

I'd appreciate any replies. Thanks. :apple:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Snow Leopard will not be a release like Leopard, with lots of bells and whistles. Most of the changes will be "under the hood" where you're not likely to notice them. I wouldn't make a buying decision based on Snow Leopard.

I have the same MBP as you, and I have no intention of selling it. I prefer it to the unibody model and I'm not willing to give up the features I use to "downgrade".

3. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Keep your current one if you want to. Snow Leopard will run just fine on it. Unless you really want to sell it. The one you have will run SL better than the new Macbook.

4. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

5. TRAG thread starter macrumors 6502

TRAG

How will Snow Leopard run faster on mine if my MBP has the same specs as the new MB?

6. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

What Macbook 13.3" are you comparing your MBP to ?

The stock Macbook has integrated graphics while your MBP has a dedicated graphics chip.

7. TRAG thread starter macrumors 6502

TRAG

I'm talking about the higher end one with the 2.4 GHz processor and illuminated keyboard. Sorry for not being specific.

8. kevo0822 macrumors regular

It doesn't matter. The Macbook doesn't have a dedicated graphics chip. The Macbook Pro has a dedicated graphics chip.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes.

I have one, but I don't have anything FireWire with which to test it, so I can't vouch for its abilities.

It's just a little plug adapter, nothing fancy, nothing expensive.

10. TRAG thread starter macrumors 6502

TRAG

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Whoops, read that backward. I thought you were asking if there WERE. :p

Well, someone has confirmation on this from two people now. There's always an upside.

12. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

no there isn't.
    There's one that is used for DV camcorders but only works with windows, and I believe it doesn't transfer the full DV quality but converts it to a lower bandwidth mpeg format to work over usb.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, Snow Leo will give you under the hood changes. Plus, Snow Leo will also put to use all the cores in your GPU for more things (like actual processing) than just drawing pretty pictures when you are in need of serious crunching.

Snow Leo will be a noticeable speed change and performance increase. Will your MBP run it? Oh yes, definitely. Will it run it as good (performance wise) as newer MacBooks? Perhaps not (due to hardware architecture differences). But, do you really need that much crunch power? You answer that.

14. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

If I understand SL correctly, his MBP will be better due to the graphics card. SL should put some of the processes onto the graphics card (I think there is a *bit* of this in Photoshop CS4).

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Don't know about Photoshop... but yes, with Snow Leo, graphic cores will be put to more things than just drawing... I am just waiting to unlock my GPU potential...

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Only if developers choose to code it for that. AFAIK a lot of developers are just starting to fork and do multithreading.