Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheGagagirl1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I have a suspicion that my roommates are using my Mac behind my back. It says Lid0pen (User) (which means that the lid has been opened physically, right?) in the login history at times where I haven't used it or anything. I was wondering if a certain software or something in its system could cause the unexplainable awakenings. Does anyone know if this also could be the case? Or am I just being paranoid? English isn't my first language. I'm sorry for any mistakes. Thanks in advance!

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
A user named 'Lid0pen'? Yeah, your roommates are playing you. Software doesn't have a sense of humor. Make sure that you have administrative control and put a password on your account. Also, don't leave the lid open when you're not around.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Reactions: idunn and TMRJIJ

TheGagagirl1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
I have administrator control and I've put a password on my account. So that's really weird too. I have never shared my password with anyone and I never use my Mac outside my room.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
But why should they just open the lid? And what would you do in a similar situation?

They might have thought about using the computer.

If it were me, I probably wouldn't leave a computer where there are people I don't trust.

If I leave my computer where other people are, then I am probably willing to let them use it.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Actually that is a valid log entry.

The original poster might be interested in this article.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/25/how-to-tell-if-someone-was-using-mac/
Huh? I forgot about those logs.
But why should they just open the lid? And what would you do in a similar situation?
Watch the time whenever you open the lid so you can count yourself out. Then whatever odd times your Mac is awake, record those times so you'll be around whenever someone does wake it :D
Other than that, there really nothing anyone can do to it if the laptop goes directly to the login screen so you're probably fine.

TheGagagirl1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Thanks for the replies! I'll see what I can do.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but is there a chance that they actually could be spying on my Mac? I've overheard many conversations where they know things they shouldn't.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States

I know it sounds ridiculous, but is there a chance that they actually could be spying on my Mac? I've overheard many conversations where they know things they shouldn't.

That gets into a totally different area. If you are the only admin user, and only you know any passwords into the system, then it's unlikely.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Arh okay. But why should they open the lid?

Cool! What are those apps called?
It is possible that the person in question wanted to see if your Mac was left where it could be accessed without them having to type the password first.

Change the password to something hard that only you would know (mix of lower and uppercase letters and numbers e.g.. MyFavorite-Color-Is-Cellular-Respiration?;!). If someone was accessing your Mac past lifting the lid, you would be able to tell.

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I also suggest turning on File Vault so no data can be accessed via Target Disk Mode. If they don't know your login password but File Vault is off, they could always boot the machine in to Target Disk Mode and connect another computer to access your files. File Vault would put a stop to that.

TheGagagirl1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
I also suggest turning on File Vault so no data can be accessed via Target Disk Mode. If they don't know your login password but File Vault is off, they could always boot the machine in to Target Disk Mode and connect another computer to access your files. File Vault would put a stop to that.

How do I do that?

ssong

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
London, UK

I'm just wondering though, what's the general profile of your roommate/roommates? With a few general assumptions based on your userID I would assume female in early-20s with fairly limited knowledge of computers. That said, if they were spying on you then it's most likely through a third-party software it would normally ask you to open certain ports up in the firewall. Check under your security settings to see if there are any unfamiliar apps that have been granted extra network access.

If you were dealing with someone a bit more technically minded then I would recommend you go through your logs and keep track of any foreign activity to build up a pattern. If they recorded your activity on your mac, they would have to have regular access to retrieve it so there should be a pattern of some sort.

A good old regular hidden camera can also work to catch anyone red handed.

tomviolence

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012
I would blame Apple before you start getting paranoid about your roommates. When I was looking for a reason why the new MBP 2016 stays connected to the wi-fi when in sleep mode, I came across an article that stated the MBP can wake itself briefly from sleep mode for maintenance and/or updating via wi-fi. Can anyone confirm this?

Edit: sorry, didn’t read it thoroughly enough… lidopen appearantly means it was physically opened… my bad.

TheGagagirl1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
I'm just wondering though, what's the general profile of your roommate/roommates? With a few general assumptions based on your userID I would assume female in early-20s with fairly limited knowledge of computers. That said, if they were spying on you then it's most likely through a third-party software it would normally ask you to open certain ports up in the firewall. Check under your security settings to see if there are any unfamiliar apps that have been granted extra network access.

If you were dealing with someone a bit more technically minded then I would recommend you go through your logs and keep track of any foreign activity to build up a pattern. If they recorded your activity on your mac, they would have to have regular access to retrieve it so there should be a pattern of some sort.

A good old regular hidden camera can also work to catch anyone red handed.

You're right haha. I don't know much about Macs in general. There's nothing unusual in my security settings or in the task manager.

ssong

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
London, UK
You're right haha. I don't know much about Macs in general. There's nothing unusual in my security settings or in the task manager.
If you don't mind me asking, what are the kinds of information that you think they acquired without you knowing? Would it be something that you said through a messaging app or email?

TheGagagirl1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
If you don't mind me asking, what are the kinds of information that you think they acquired without you knowing? Would it be something that you said through a messaging app or email?

I have no idea. I was just wondering about it because of the logs.

ssong

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
London, UK
I have no idea. I was just wondering about it because of the logs.
Well, for the sake of doing a complete security revision I'd recommend the following.

Enable 2FA on your online accounts if you haven't already.

Let google tell you if there's suspicious activity on your google accounts.

Consider password locking the mac instantly when the lid closes (instead of waiting a few min)

You could use a key logger to see what the person types in case they access other accounts.

If you want something more robust than just a list of key strokes, then a third party spying software would be recommendable. You'd essentially be reverse spying.

If you're reaaaaally feeling paranoid then open a secure encrypted email account (protonmail is good) and have your recovery emails go to that address.

But yeah, roommates can be tricky, especially if you don't get along too well. My college roommate was my best friend fr high school and even that was tricky at times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.