Is space gray lighter now?

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
The gold seems to have changed a little as well
Slightly, but if you look at the videos of the gold on various videos after the keynote, it looks fairly similar to the 5s gold. The pictures on Apple's website are not really accurate representations of how the color looks in real life.

marvz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
And you know this because you've held an iPad mini and an iphone6 side by side and made this determination? Or are you just looking at a website?
Website, Apple's presentation video and all the leaks over the last few months. Space gray is clearly lighter than before.

Dave245

macrumors 604
Sep 15, 2013
Slightly, but if you look at the videos of the gold on various videos after the keynote, it looks fairly similar to the 5s gold. The pictures on Apple's website are not really accurate representations of how the color looks in real life.
It's probably just a lighting issue.
Ok thanks for letting me know, i'll have to remember that when i order online. At the moment i'm undecided which model to get, let alone the colour :eek: going to go to a Apple store here in the UK, on Saturday and have a play around with the display models, to help make my mind up.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Website, Apple's presentation video and all the leaks over the last few months. Space gray is clearly lighter than before.
I guess we'll see on Friday. If anything, they made it lighter so it doesn't show wear as much as the black iPhone 5 did.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
In photos it looks lighter, I'll be disappointed if it is :rolleyes: just make it silver is spend the extra $0.05 to use a stronger darker coat.

With the full metal back and the bottom cut out of the leather case, can't even cover all of the grey.

badman89

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
I just want a full black iPhone, enough with this gray crap.
I'm upgrading from a full black iPhone 4, and I'm really not looking forward to the Space Gray iPhone 6 (the only reason I'm getting it is because it's the closest thing to black, and I'm not a fan of silver / gold). Anyway, I guess the color isn't terribly important in the grand scheme of things, but a man can dream...

TJ82

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Video of the space grey. I find it hard to tell grey and silver apart until I see the front of it (and see the black or white bezel). Definitely much lighter than before on the iP5.

Adam-Jobs

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
I just want a full black iPhone, enough with this gray crap.
Exactly. Black was classy, and now they don't have it at all. The iPhone 4 in black was the best looking phone IMO. If they did the iPhone 6 in all black, it would be sweet.

Sheza

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2010
Exactly. Black was classy, and now they don't have it at all. The iPhone 4 in black was the best looking phone IMO. If they did the iPhone 6 in all black, it would be sweet.
This (and the nested quote).

Some people like White, sure, but to me an all black phone is gorgeous. Also for that seamless screen border.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Video of the space grey. I find it hard to tell grey and silver apart until I see the front of it (and see the black or white bezel). Definitely much lighter than before on the iP5.

YouTube: video
I never knew space was gray. I thought it was pretty darn black.
The OP isn't asking about Slate found on the iPhone 5.

I do notice that Space Gray is darker on the iPad compared to my 5s. However, there seems to be a variance between batches of Space Gray 5s, some darker and some lighter.

Ta0jin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I believe they did change the color. My original 5s was a slightly darker space grey than my replacement I recieved. I was in the Apple Store one day and I compared my phone to the demo units and they all looked darker than mine except one or two. So I guess they lightened the color given the iPhone 6 is the same color as my replacement 5s.

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
I can confirm my iPhone 6 space grey looks significant lighter than my iPad air space grey....

But why are you worried about your different electronic devices color matching lol? Never even gave it any thought until I read this read... seems a little OCD