Is space gray lighter now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone7ate9, Sep 16, 2014.

1. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

2. TheSacredSoul macrumors 6502a

I just want a full black iPhone, enough with this gray crap.

3. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

Yes, space gray is lighter than before and so it will not match your iPad mini.

It's pretty clear to see on Apple's comparison page if you select space gray for all models:
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

4. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

why would they give it the same name if it was a different color than previous models?

5. Dave245 macrumors 601

The gold seems to have changed a little as well

6. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Slightly, but if you look at the videos of the gold on various videos after the keynote, it looks fairly similar to the 5s gold. The pictures on Apple's website are not really accurate representations of how the color looks in real life.

7. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

I don't know but it's true.

8. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's probably just a lighting issue.

9. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Same here.

10. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

And you know this because you've held an iPad mini and an iphone6 side by side and made this determination? Or are you just looking at a website?

11. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

Website, Apple's presentation video and all the leaks over the last few months. Space gray is clearly lighter than before.

12. Dave245 macrumors 601

Ok thanks for letting me know, i'll have to remember that when i order online. At the moment i'm undecided which model to get, let alone the colour :eek: going to go to a Apple store here in the UK, on Saturday and have a play around with the display models, to help make my mind up.

13. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I guess we'll see on Friday. If anything, they made it lighter so it doesn't show wear as much as the black iPhone 5 did.

14. QuickFlame macrumors member

Where will YOUR thumb reach? Graphic Included

removed post

15. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

In photos it looks lighter, I'll be disappointed if it is :rolleyes: just make it silver is spend the extra $0.05 to use a stronger darker coat.

With the full metal back and the bottom cut out of the leather case, can't even cover all of the grey.

16. badman89 macrumors regular

I'm upgrading from a full black iPhone 4, and I'm really not looking forward to the Space Gray iPhone 6 (the only reason I'm getting it is because it's the closest thing to black, and I'm not a fan of silver / gold). Anyway, I guess the color isn't terribly important in the grand scheme of things, but a man can dream...

17. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Video of the space grey. I find it hard to tell grey and silver apart until I see the front of it (and see the black or white bezel). Definitely much lighter than before on the iP5.

18. noobinator macrumors 601

I never knew space was gray. I thought it was pretty darn black.

19. Adam-Jobs macrumors regular

Exactly. Black was classy, and now they don't have it at all. The iPhone 4 in black was the best looking phone IMO. If they did the iPhone 6 in all black, it would be sweet.

20. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

This (and the nested quote).

Some people like White, sure, but to me an all black phone is gorgeous. Also for that seamless screen border.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The OP isn't asking about Slate found on the iPhone 5.

I do notice that Space Gray is darker on the iPad compared to my 5s. However, there seems to be a variance between batches of Space Gray 5s, some darker and some lighter.

22. Ta0jin macrumors 6502a

I believe they did change the color. My original 5s was a slightly darker space grey than my replacement I recieved. I was in the Apple Store one day and I compared my phone to the demo units and they all looked darker than mine except one or two. So I guess they lightened the color given the iPhone 6 is the same color as my replacement 5s.

23. syphern macrumors 6502

24. Achillias macrumors regular

I actually like the two tone color of the space grey iPhone.

25. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I can confirm my iPhone 6 space grey looks significant lighter than my iPad air space grey....

But why are you worried about your different electronic devices color matching lol? Never even gave it any thought until I read this read... seems a little OCD