Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robbietaylor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
I'm thinking of getting an iPhone on sprint but I might get one on Verizon of sprint is still slow.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
There is a thread going called Verizon speeds and I've yet to be impressed by anyone's speed test results.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
If speed is your top concern, then see if AT&T has good coverage in your area. If it is, then that's your best choice.

Robbietaylor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
I guess my real question is that
I have seen screenshots where the speed is like 0.04 MB. Did sprint fix that?

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Location, location, location.

Depending on where you are and what kind of coverage exists in your area, all of the carriers could be argued to be better and worse than one another.

You'd be better off asking a coworker/ friend/ family/ neighbor than asking people scattered throughout the globe how service for you will be in your area.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I guess my real question is that
I have seen screenshots where the speed is like 0.04 MB. Did sprint fix that?

find a friend that has a vzn smart phone and a sprint smart phone, download speedtest.net app and have them both run it.

even then it can be inconsistent due to the time of day

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Sprint always was slow for me... so answering this question is a bit difficult. While I had Sprint I drove from Los Angeles to Ames (Iowa), and from there to Chicago and Kansas City. Very rarely was I over 1 megabit per second. Generally around 500 kilobits and, less frequently, in the mid to upper 100's.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
There is a thread going called Verizon speeds and I've yet to be impressed by anyone's speed test results.

I am impressed with my own Verizon speed tests because they are pretty much the same as what I get with AT&T. Some people will get better speeds with AT&T, some with Verizon and some will just have poor speeds no matter what carrier.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I am impressed with my own Verizon speed tests because they are pretty much the same as what I get with AT&T. Some people will get better speeds with AT&T, some with Verizon and some will just have poor speeds no matter what carrier.

as stated above Location matters

My Sprint Iphone=.8 average
My buddys VzN Iphone=.4 average
My g/f's AT&T Iphone= 6.8 average

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Depends where you are. My buddy on Verizon can load pages at about the same rate I can on AT&T. His download speed tests are .50 Mbps and mine are 6 Mbps. So don't always go by the numbers.

flindet

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
Be careful with Sprint!

Please be very careful before signing up with Sprint. I joined with Sprint when the 4S first came out. First, like you, I did my homework. I asked friends who were with Sprint about their signal and I very carefully checked their coverage maps on their website. I also thoroughly read the return policy should I have a problem.

Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that just because Sprint may have good 4G coverage it doesn't mean they have good 3G coverage. So, watch out for that when talking with friends on Sprint. Also, despite their coverage maps, Sprint speeds were absolutely terrible. TERRIBLE. There was definitely problems. It was just after the 4S launch and they were hammered in my area. Several towers around here were overloaded. They gave a 14 day "grace" period to return (watch out for restocking fees). I understand they did eventually improve the signal in my area, but this was long after I was forced to cancel with them.

THE IMPORTANT PART:

I was with Sprint for a total of 10 days just after the launch in October. I am STILL receiving bills from them and I have had countless hours of horrible, frustrating arguments with them. It has been a total nightmare. Experimenting with them has already cost me about $250 dollars. Half of that was for taxes they're refusing to return and the other half was to cover the 10 days despite them not giving me any decent service during that time. I did eventually get them to waive the restocking fees, but they currently have me turned over to collections for some other $147 that they can't explain. I had another bill for over $500 that after a good month or so of arguing I finally got them to waive. I continuously get mysterious bills from them with no explanation. They do not itemize; they just say I owe them money. Dealing with them on the phone takes hours each time and often results in hang-ups. They often tell me my problems are finally solved and this time everything is a zero balance, yet I'll get another mysterious bill from them shortly after.

So, please... I probably just have bad luck, but please be very careful before signing up with them. If you're lucky enough to get a decent signal from them and speed isn't a major concern, then their unlimited plan could be nice. But be aware you have only 14 days to decide and even if your decision is no, it could end up costing you a lot more than they let on in the beginning and you could end up in a total nightmare like I am. I sincerely hope that doesn't happen to you.

Good luck.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Depends where you are. My buddy on Verizon can load pages at about the same rate I can on AT&T. His download speed tests are .50 Mbps and mine are 6 Mbps. So don't always go by the numbers.
I think that's because Verizon has significantly lower pings than AT&T

ercsliberty

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
been with sprint for a while now, data was always good, but on the iphone its VERY slow, i have few freinds that made the move from android to the iphone on sprint, they ALL say that the slowness on the iphone data is very noticeable

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.