Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleuserfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Hey guys
I'm choosing a new tablet for just light usage: web surfing, ebook and some videos on YouTube.
I LOVE the "old iPad" design while i don't like the new iPad style (Air 1 and 2).
So i was wondering if the latest iPad with the old design (called iPad Retina or new iPad or iPad 4) is still a good tablet for my usage...
If not, i will opt for an android tablet like the Onda V919 CH...

What do you think? iPad 4 or others for my usage?

Thanks in advance guys as always <3

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
Curious what you dont like about the newer Air designs over the older more heavier chunkier designs?

And yes, to answer your question. I used my ipad2 up until the end of last year for light consumption with little complaint.

Reactions: appleuserfan

appleuserfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Haha yeah it's funny!
I really love the new iPhone design (i got a 6S) but i don't like it in the "new generation" iPads.
It's just that the old gen seem more "professional" to me, i simply like them more lol

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I actually came across an iPad 2 the other day. It was the first time in a while that I had picked up a pre-Air iPad. I had forgotten how big the bezels are! lol.

*edit to add*
No to mention how fuzzy the non-Retina display looked.

appleuserfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Yep, it's a matter of taste lool i never had compliant with the bezels of the iPad 1, so i will not notice them on the iPad 3/4 Retina

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Haha yeah it's funny!
I really love the new iPhone design (i got a 6S) but i don't like it in the "new generation" iPads.
It's just that the old gen seem more "professional" to me, i simply like them more lol

Pick up a new design iPad and start using it, and within a day, you wouldn't notice the design difference any more. And then go back and pick up an older design iPad, and you'd think "my god, this thing is heavy!"

Reactions: appleguy123

appleuserfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
i had an iPad mini so i know how a tablet lighter can be but the main question is: for a long use i have a wonderful macbook air 11" with 8GB RAM that work like a charm.
I will use this iPad just as a "net magazine" and so even if it won't be lighter/smaller, will be great.
And after all you know...you will love to use something that you love also for the design :D

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Yes, that should be fine for just those things. (They may not support upcoming OS updates, but you'll still be able to surf for a while.)

I definitely like to be current when I can afford it, but I also really liked the original iPad's design, and even the appearance of the visible pre-Retina pixels.

appleuserfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
The alternative, for the budget that i want to invest in an "extra thing" like this tablet, is a generic android tablet of 2gb ram and a cheap octacore (like the onda v919).
So i think that at least the iPad will let me do what i can do with the "android generic tablet" alternative lol

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
i had an iPad mini so i know how a tablet lighter can be but the main question is: for a long use i have a wonderful macbook air 11" with 8GB RAM that work like a charm.
I will use this iPad just as a "net magazine" and so even if it won't be lighter/smaller, will be great.
And after all you know...you will love to use something that you love also for the design :D

Sure, I like good design too, but my point is that the design difference between the older and newer iPad designs isn't all that significant. To me, getting the older product with a slightly "better" design doesn't seem worth it. An iPad Air 1 or 2 is going to be supported for a few years more than the iPad 4. the iPad 4 works ok with iOS 9, but I think you'll start seeing slow downs and more unsupported features when iOS 10 drops,

appleuserfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
This is definitely true but since i'll use it just with Flipboard, Safari, iBooks and YouTube, do you think that i really will miss iOS 10? I don't think so, imho...

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
This is definitely true but since i'll use it just with Flipboard, Safari, iBooks and YouTube, do you think that i really will miss iOS 10? I don't think so, imho...

If your goal is to get a budget tablet, then you might make do without having the latest features. But I can imagine all those apps getting updates that require the latest iOS. My partner has an iPad 3 that he's kept on iOS 5, and when I pick it up, the number of things I've gotten used to on newer versions of iOS that iOS 5 doesn't do is truly horrifying. :D

The CameraGuy

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2016
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
The alternative, for the budget that i want to invest in an "extra thing" like this tablet, is a generic android tablet of 2gb ram and a cheap octacore (like the onda v919).
So i think that at least the iPad will let me do what i can do with the "android generic tablet" alternative lol
I have an old Nexus 7 with LTE and 32GB that I'm selling for $125. Perfect for you android plan. PM me to make a deal.

appleuserfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Haha night Spring i can understand cause i felt the same sensation when i used an iPhone 4 for One week while i had an iPhone 6

Anyway Thanks The Cameraguy but im looking for a 9.7" and i'm italian so i have to pay duties for extra-UE shipping

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
I have a Mini 2 as well as a iPad 4 and every time I pick up the iPad 4 I think what a nice piece of hardware this is. Not screaming fast but really good for daily web browsing and reading.

appleuserfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
I have a Mini 2 as well as a iPad 4 and every time I pick up the iPad 4 I think what a nice piece of hardware this is. Not screaming fast but really good for daily web browsing and reading.

That's a cool news and what i was thinking about this iPad: not as fast as an iPad Air 1-2 but something nice and great for light/medium webbing + read/Watch something

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
Haha yeah it's funny!

You must be one of a few, the current iPads look more modern because of the slimmer bezels and weight loss. Not to mention any iPad without then Touch ID looks dated to me. Looks odd without the ring around the home button.

appleuserfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
medium/big bezels, thin but not ultra thin like the air...just like a book
[doublepost=1455145840][/doublepost]Okay now you are start thinking i'm crazy since i like medium size bezels haha

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
medium/big bezels, thin but not ultra thin like the air...just like a book
[doublepost=1455145840][/doublepost]Okay now you are start thinking i'm crazy since i like medium size bezels haha

I don't understand how that's like a book, but whatever.

I remember thinking the thin bezels looked funny when I first saw pictures of the iPad Air, but like I said, once I had one and actually started using it, I quickly forgot about it and haven't thought of it since.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

You might not miss new features that iOS 10 could bring. But you will stop getting the all important security updates that come with new versions and updates.

It's not even known if the iPad 2-4 will even be supported in iOS 10. I highly doubt anything with an A5 will get it, A6 devices will be borderline (look at the complaints people have about A5 devices like the 4s now in iOS 9, they're even getting sued over it.) Getting something like an Air 2 will guarantee you'll continue to get updates (even if you don't necessarily care about new features) that will keep your device secure for a few more years to come.

Not to mention the screen itself on the Air is a gazillion miles better than and iPad previous to it. Colour and overall image quality is just so much better. Also something like an iPad 4 has a pretty big air gap between the glass and screen, causing gross a parallax.)

appleuserfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Yes guys.
I have to admit that maybe isn't a great idea spend too much money for an iPad 4.
And so i did something that maybe is unbelievable for someone but i think that simply *work for me*.
I bought an iPad 1 (yes, an obsolete but cute iPad 1) since i really love the old design like i said and with him i also have a "piece of story" that maybe will get some value in the near future.
But i also bought an iPad Air 1 to use it as tablet for "light usage" like i also said.
By this way when i miss the old design and i want to try something heavier (lol), i pick up the iPad 1.
While in all the other occasions i will use the lighter, faster and smaller iPad Air.
Isn't just a great set up, considering my needs?;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.