Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jungeliest

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2010
That's like saying: "Keep your old pick up, get the new moped." The iPad is not a computer.

He says he needs a portable device to record on. iPad may suit his needs. Why buying a new car when you have a NEW pick-up (he says that his old 17" will be replaced w/ a i5 17") ? Buy a moPed!

crobbins

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2006
Colorado
I think I would go crazy if I went from a 17 to a 13. I have the 15 because, like many others, I feel it is the best of both worlds. It's not too heavy and not terribly big.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
Great question!

Thanks for asking for everyone opinion.

I started out in the wonderful world of Mac with a MB Air. I need more drive space and power and went with a unibody MB (before the 13 was a Pro) soon after. Then I made the leap to a 15 MBP with a 512 video card.

I have since bought my wife a 13 MBP ... Finally convinced her to make the switch !!!!! It is fine for me to read a quick Macrumors article when she leaves it out on the table but for in my opinion now that I have a 15 it feels too small.

It is very portable for sure but as many have pointed out and I am sure you know the 13's are getting the new chips and power like the 15 & 17's. I say get a 15 and you got the best of both worlds.

I am getting a 3G ipad once they drop for short trips and around town work. Emails ... Web surfing ... Etc. Hey at 1.5 lbs how can you beat that!!

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
i've been thinking of downgrading from my 17" to a 13"
the 17" is great, when you actually sit down and start using it.
but to carry around, kindof sucks. not because it's too heavy, just too wide.
but is the 13" too small? personal opinions for those who own it?

i'm going to go to the apple store and try it out for a little while,
but even then. extensive use in a home environment and such is a lot different than using it at the apple store.

so, owners of 13". do you love it? or do you wish you went with 15" or something

I have a 13" and 15" MBP and find the 13" to be an excellent size. I don't feel "cramped" at all on the 13" and the screen size is A-OK.

Also, keep in mind the keyboard is the same size which helps a lot with jumping from one to the other.

cheers
JohnG

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
all great opinions here,
but can somebody tell me if there's a difference (or big difference) between the speakers on each model?
i don't plan to be plugging this into external speakers like that one guy said to do every time I use this. the speakers on the 17" are fine for me, but since it's bigger, I assume it may be better. but is it noticable really?
for something that i'm pretty much only using to record music on, i'd like to be able to hear it back reasonably good.

bafonso

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
all great opinions here,
but can somebody tell me if there's a difference (or big difference) between the speakers on each model?
i don't plan to be plugging this into external speakers like that one guy said to do every time I use this. the speakers on the 17" are fine for me, but since it's bigger, I assume it may be better. but is it noticable really?
for something that i'm pretty much only using to record music on, i'd like to be able to hear it back reasonably good.

The 15" does sound much better. Depends how much you care about music. I've had people be amazed at how loud my 2008 mbp was

Khoji

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2005
Weight issues

I've also been looking for a replacement for my 15" Santa Rosa MBP recently because my laptop backpack has just been feeling too heavy. I've even been looking at things like a VaioZ or an Acer Timeline as alternatives. :mad:

However, one thing I've realized on the weight issue is that you also have to factor in the things that you need to carry in addition to the laptop itself. In the case of my current MBP I always have to carry one or two spare batteries plus the power adapter plus the power cord, which has a really heavy European plug on it.

All that stuff alone adds over a kilo to the carrying weight. If I get the new 13" MBP I don't need the additional batteries and I can usually also do without the power adapter and the power cord. That makes a big difference and also reduces the weight offset between the 13" MBP and the MBA considerably.

crh3ff

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2010
very happy with 13"

...but who wouldn't be? ;-) Oh, we're talking about computers...

I've had a 13" MB for 3 years, and just got a new 13" MBP. I've been very satisfied with it. It depends on what you do with it...I don't need huge amounts of screen real estate or a high resolution screen that's going to strain my eyes when I make things smaller to fit more on the screen. I need portability and battery life. I was in the market for an Air, but they didn't update them. I think dropping down from a 17" is going to be a big change for you, however. You might want to play around with a friend's 13" or go to an Apple Store and see what you think before making the leap.

Mac-key

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2010
Alabama
I got a 13" and LOVE it! I also do quite a bit of video editing using Final Cut pro. Sure, I'd like to have a bigger screen, but financially I can't pull it off.

So I've made do - and to be honest, it works just fine for me.

I'd go for a refurbed 13" 2.53 09 model. they are selling for 1189 at the online apple store. I mean, you might as well since they didn't upgrade the processor this go around. Plus, you can always upgrade your RAM and HD - something I'm going to do as soon as prices for SSDs come down

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
After using my old MB and playing with my dad's 15" MBP, he and I both decided that 13" is a good sweet spot. Besides, I have this nice 24" monitor sitting on my desk at home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.