Is the 16” MBP a Worthy Buy?

burgman

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2013
Hello guys,

Looking into purchasing one, read screen might be crap along other stuff... is it maybe better to wait?

Thanks!
If you are that influenced by internet postings don't buy it. If you take the time to actually go try one then make up your own mind. If everyone followed the stories on forums nothing from any company would sell except edibles. Use the return period to aggressively use it to be sure.

trailmonkey

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2019
Like with anything, some buyers are having issues with fan noise, battery, overheating, screen ghosting, wifi etc. No idea what percentage they form. But they have every right to be peeved if they're paying say £2500-£4000 on a device.

Mine is now 3 weeks old and overall it's a brilliant bit of kit. Battery could be better, as could temps and fan noise - still figuring out causes and workflow for those. But £3250 is a shed load of cash for what it is. So is it VFM? IMO no. I use it to run my business so I need a solid performer that gets stuff done and doesn't waste my time. So if it delivers as it has been for the next 3-4 years then I'll be very happy and see it as money well spent. If it doesn't, then I'll be properly pi55ed off.

FTR I've initiated a return but not yet decided.

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2019
I’m pretty happy with mine. No plans to return and the window is closing quickly. If you need a computer go for it.

internetrando

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
I can't wait to buy mine. I think that is probably the best MacBook Pro that Apple has released within the last 4+ years.

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans
My 14 days were up today. I really expected to not keep it after dropping $4000, and the fan noise reallyhit me at first, then i figured out simple mods to my workflow and the performance compared to both my 2018 13” and my new Surface Laptop is just so huge that I am very happy with it.

i do still need to add some new accessories like an updated dock as my Elgato can only provide 60w and I have lots of Usb-c chargers that fall short, but more and more 100w options are appearing daily.

I‘m also finding that while I thought clamshell mode would be a PITA, but necessary to minimize noise and heat, I actually love having a big chunk of my desktop recovered by kicking the laptop to the side and using a tiny Mac keyboard and mouse. My 34” and 27” monitors are on arms so my desk is completely clear now.

Codeline

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2020
It’s a great machine, no regrets at all and my return window has long been shut. If you constantly wait till the next update or believe all the moaning about this and that no one would every buy anything again.
Buy it! Enjoy it! Love it!

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
read screen might be crap along other stuff...
I would recommend that you head out to your apple store and check it out first hand. If you're concerned about a crappy screen and other stuff, then the first place to start imo is seeing up front

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
I can only add my take. It's my first new Mac since 2011 and I couldn't be happier. I think the screen looks fine, am I blown away by it? No. Does it look better than my classmates computers, both Macs and PC's? Yes. No issue with coil whine nor the fans. Just a perfect computer. I use it mainly for studying (typing, a lot and games on the downtime).

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
The 16” is a good buy, especially the base model. It’s a very balanced configuration and the best MBP since the 2015 15” dGPU (M370X) and/or the 2013 15” (GT750) models.

Last edited:
Reactions: CE3

jeyf

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2009
do your research
if your still positive buy the unit and i think there is a Apple 3day trial period

MBP; they are expensive so verify no other situation will work for you
if you can wait do it.

skaertus

macrumors 68040
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Hello guys,

Looking into purchasing one, read screen might be crap along other stuff... is it maybe better to wait?

Thanks!
It looks like a great buy. It is not expensive compared to what you get, and it is an amazing computer. It is big and heavy, but if you are OK with it, and if you are into macOS, then I can see no better buy.

Zen_Arcade

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
I think it's a great machine. 2.3/16/1TB/55004GB.

Keyboard is infinitely better, and physical esc key is a step in the right direction.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
The 16” is a good buy, especially the base model. It’s a very balanced configuration and the best MBP since the 2015 15” dGPU (M360X) and/or the 2013 15” (GT750) models.
Yeah, as long as no widespread hardware issues surface, all the new models are a better buy than the previous generation, but I agree that the base model is a particularly good value.

Even though the size increase is marginal I definitely feel the difference from the 2018 model I owned. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who's already on the fence about the 15" models being too big. But it looks like the OP currently owns a 17" MacBook Pro, so this shouldn't be a problem.

tripleh3lix

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2014
The 16” is a good buy, especially the base model. It’s a very balanced configuration and the best MBP since the 2015 15” dGPU (M370X) and/or the 2013 15” (GT750) models.
Did I make a mistake buying the 2,799 model?

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Did I make a mistake buying the 2,799 model?
If your workflow can take advantage of 8 cores, the slightly faster dGPU, or you need 1 TB storage, it's fine. I just think that most workflows that really DO need that power would likely be better served by 32 GB RAM as well.

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Hello guys,

Thanks!
The screen is fantastic. If you listen to these forums you’ll never buy an Apple product. I’ve owned a lot of Macs and the 16 inch if my favorite notebook hands down.

Reactions: jerryk

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
I bought the base - my main issue is that Catalina can be a little laggy (nothing big but sometimes it can feel a bit sluggish) and the speaker popping. I've noticed popping in Musescore on external audio as well but I'm not sure if that's the same issue. It's way too OP for me with my workload in terms of CPU.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2014
The screen is fantastic. If you listen to these forums you’ll never buy an Apple product. I’ve owned a lot of Macs and the 16 inch if my favorite notebook hands down.
This forum is not the norm. I have tons of Apple products, iMac’s Macbooks Homepods Apple Watch iPhones Apple TV’s etc...never had an issue with one that they list on here all the time. It’s mostly user error unless it’s some fudged up OS release that usually gets fixed.

Reactions: chrono1081
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.