Is the 17" MBP comfortable to use on the lap?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by belgian85, Jun 19, 2008.

1. belgian85 macrumors newbie

I presently have a 15" MBP that I use extensively on my lap, and I find it very comfortable. I was thinking of upgrading to the 17" MBP, but I'm concerned it may feel to heavy or be too big to use on my lap.
    Does anyone use it that way, or tried to?

Thanks

James

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

IMO, it would be too big. My 15 feels just right, anything larger would be too big. I've owned a non-Apple 17 inch laptop before, and it was not comfortable in my lap.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I use it that way. I don't think the weight or the size is the biggest concern (I'm not Shaq at 5'7" 115lbs). However the heat. It doesn't bother me, I just kinda ignore it it seems most the time, but many complain of it. There are things that dramatically help it out, for example the Incase Hard Shell and Rain Design iLap are all great accesories. Apple's notebooks are much difference then any others. The design and smoothness of them makes them different from the normal collage of plastic we see out of most PC makers. With that said, why are you planning on the upgrade?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Wait... so, Shaq in sixth grade?

5. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Would it be safe to say that this non-Apple machine was both heavier and thicker than the 17" MBP?

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Especially after the penryn update, yes its very very comfortable and a joy to use on your lap.

Imagine a gorgeous 1920x1200 led 17" just right smack in your face for you to view whatever you please and to multitask as well. Also the penryn makes it so cool on your lap while the weight feels almost the same as the 15" mbp did just wider. But once your comfortable laid back with the 17" mbp on your lap your already set to do some serious computing/watching videos/whatever you want. Did I mention the screen is freaking gorgeous! And you can do alot more (multitasking) at a time.

7. durant0s macrumors regular

durant0s

!!!!!!!!!!!WARNING TO ALL MEN!!!!!!!!!!

Don't use a laptop on your lap especially ones that get really hot like a MBP. It can do extensive damage to any future children you wish to create.

And I'm not kidding around either!

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Lol, I think this warning was for the merom owners but I honestly feel that it gets moderately warm at best on my lap, these penryn runs so damn cool. I always used an ilap for the powerbooks, first gen mbp, merom... until penryn.. now I can comfortably put my ilap on my desk as a deskstand instead and just undock it and put the mbp on my lap.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

and so can standing next to a microwave

or using a cell phone

10. belgian85 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm upgrading because I do lots of engineering work and need the higher resolution.
    As to the heat issue, it was bothering me until I installed smcFanControl and that makes such a difference. I make the fan run faster than normal, and the temperature rarely goes past 120F

11. durant0s macrumors regular

durant0s

yeah but doing those for a short period of time is a little different then leaving a heating pad on your lap for hours. I mean the new MBP doesn't get that hot but when you run it full boar which I do a lot, I gets up there.

12. knightrider macrumors newbie

It's amazing how much warmer it is when running XP. I pull out my old lap cooler that I used with my old Dell if I boot up in XP. Under OS X, it is pretty comfortable.

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

If you do something that intensive you should keep the mbp on a desk or somewhere with a flat hard surface.. I would suggest you an ilap very very nice.

14. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

A Little unrelated, but what temps does everyones MBP's Idle at? And whats normal? Mine will sit here with MSN, FF3 and iMail open, and stick under 40C with the fans at 2500 (Which is still silent, 3000 you start to hear, trust me lol)

15. Naim135 macrumors member

So it's not just me

I Have 17" MBP with the high res screen and mine runs hotter under Windows than OS X.

As far as using it on my lap its no problem at all

Far better than trying to balance ` 24" imac :D

16. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I have a Dell XPS M1710 (17 inch) that weighs 9 pounds that i use on my lap.

It has a 512MB 7900GTX in it, so get at me when you start complaining that your MBP gives off to much heat :D

17. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Playing crysis on your lap!! :eek::eek:

18. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

i've learned you can't game with a touch pad :D

i only play counter strike and track mania, but it's sad to say with a MBP ill get more FPS in both games, because they are both CPU dependent, and i still have a core duo (not 2) 1.83GHz CPU..

19. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

thats true, its not the heat buy the radio active waves

20. fongyuen macrumors 6502

i have a 17" mbp and i love it, no problems at all on my lap, however, one thing to consider is that the hinge for the 17" is not as sturdy as the one for the 15" so if you incline the mbp too much , i.e. if you were laying down and using the laptop, the lid may not be able to hold itself up like the 15".

21. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

The old 17" CD and the newest 17" are fine to use on the lap as long your not doing your gaming session on it.

22. andrewisnot macrumors member

andrewisnot

I use my 17" all the time on my lap. Comfortable? Yes. Hot? No. Gets warm of course, but I run the CS3 apps for hours with no problem. Love this machine!

23. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

I use my 17" on my lap, no problems.

But I'm 6'6", so my 17" MBP for work is like a 15" to me. And the 15" is like a MacBook.

;)

24. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

That's not the hinge, it's the large 17" screen that's weighing the thing down.

Amen, and best comment on the thread. I have it and will never go back to the tiny 15" screens. Everything about the 17" is better than the 15", not to mention the extra USB port and hi def screen that you can't get on the 15" model.

Personally, I'd get a 19" model if Apple made one.

25. belgian85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the answers. I ordered my MBP 17" today!