Is the 2011 macbook going to cost more?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cootersgarage6, Dec 10, 2010.

1. cootersgarage6, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

So, the new Macbooks are most likely going to come out in January, like they have for a while now. but, since I am sure the Intel Graphics cards are going to be used instead, I think they are most likely going to upgrade the RAM max. and the Intel chip, i3 at the least.

So, does this mean it is going to cost more?

2. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I doubt it. If they increase it, they would have to increase the Macbook Pros too, otherwise there will be almost no contest between the two models.

4. xxxamazexxx macrumors member

I don't think there will be a January update as pointed out by other astute members when I made a thread last month asking if I should buy a MacBook. And I did.

Anyway Apple is not likely to increase the price either. They want to stick with the $999 price tag. Hardware update is not gonna cost much, since the update won't be much to begin with.

I reckon that new MacBook and MacBook Pro release will coincide with that of Lion (which I think will be slightly pushed forward to May). Okay that's a lot of guesswork but the point is the update will neither cost more nor come soon nor prove substantial.

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

The price may even come down. :eek:

Their #1 selling laptop goes in for the kill.

Theory: Apple will one day no longer depend on profit margins from their mac business. Their goal is to get users to adopt the OSX platform so everyone buys from the new App Store where Apple makes 30% for serving the downloads.

It's like getting a cell phone which is basically thrown in free these days. Or a printer for $30 so you can buy $10,000 worth of ink from the manufacturer.

Macs will one day be sold as loss leaders for the larger picture.

Sneaky bastards. :D

6. bear1973 macrumors member

New Macbook in January - I think so...

...it seems likely that Apple will release a new Macbook in January or February. It's due for an update and MacConnection and a few other retails are discounting them quite a bit.

My guess is:

2.66 processor
    4GB ram
    320GB HD
    SD Card reader
    $999

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Sales now are trying to get people to buy for Christmas. Next update will cost pretty much the same, but I doubt it will come before March or April.