Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hi.

I am recently a bit doubtful, because I purchased a 2015 13" MBP, and I can still return it so I'm thinking about all the options inside the MacBook family, because I still can return the 2015 machine.

So, here is are my questions:

1) Is the Core M3 2017 MacBook powerful enough to be my main computer? comparable to the 2015 13" MacBook Pro in raw power?

2) Will be obsolete much earlier than a MacBook Pro?

3) How do you feel working on that screen? Seems just right or small (for Office, iWork, reading heavy huge PDF books and make anotions on them, internet browsing, youtube,
movies... and all multitasked)

Right now, I need portability. Being able to work on the class, on the bus, on the go, on the couch of my home... The keyboard, I've tried it, seems much better on the MacBook than on the MacBook Pro. More compact, more solid. I like its feeling more than the MacBook Pro one. And it is very lightweight.

Maybe others are more concerned about its only port. I suppose it won't be difficult to atatch a 4K external screen + USB Drive + Power with the adaptor that Apple sells, the Digital A/V Adaptor. Or maybe via USB-C to the screen, and power it via external monitor. Will I have some kind of trouble with USB 3.1 bandwith?

And the last question:

4) does it get too hot? I hate hot computers...

With all this answered, I want to know if the 2017 MacBook is worth the 1300$/1500€ it costs, compared to a MacBook Pro, because I sometimes think it is an overpriced machine...

PS: Oh, and by the way, on my recently purchased 2015 MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM i'm getting this memory pressure:

3RnHTii.png

5) Do you think I should look for a 16GB of RAM MacBook or MacBook Pro?

Thank you so much.

Last edited:

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
Is the 13" portable enough or do you want something lighter?

You don't say the spec of your 13" so can't tell how it compares with the MB.

What do you do on your computer?

MB is great for tasks that don't require continuous CPU power.

Populus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
You don't say the spec of your 13" so can't tell how it compares with the MB.

13" broadwell CPU @ 2,7 GHz
8 GB of RAM (pressure level: yellow, as seen on the picture)

My main usage: see point number 3 of the original post. Reading heavy PDF documents and large PDF books (several GBs each), office & iWork, web and media consumption (YouTube and movies in high def).

I plan to attach it to a 4K monitor in a year or so, via USB-C and I want a good performance of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.