Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IUBall22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Couldn't decide between 42 and 38, so hope I made the right decision.

Attachments

• IMG_5106.JPG
    IMG_5106.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 6,882

IUBall22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Went with the 42. Was actually planning on getting the 38 in a couple months, but impulsively bought the 42 at target today when I saw they were giving $50 gift cards.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
FWIW, your picture shows your wrist and watch size are proportionate, hence the watch looks fine. However, smaller watch size is even better because the watch would look more even "normal" watch. Again, bigger is not always better.

wvayens

macrumors member
May 5, 2015
I don't have the biggest of wrists, but when I went from the original AW to the new one, I also went from the 38 to the 42...don't regret the decision AT ALL ! The slightly bigger screen is very helpful and I don't really notice the increased size.

fatalogic

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2016
Depends on your style. Looks fine to me; imo the 38 looks ridiculously small on most men's wrists but I'm used to seeing very large watches on people.

Reactions: Olivia23

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
All a matter of taste and some people will find it completely fine, but to me the large size makes it looks more like a tech gadget than a watch (especially with the all black colour).

Bob190

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2015

Looks fine to me.

A little unsolicited advice .. if you want the heart rate monitor to work accurately, you may want to consider wearing the watch a little further down your arm away from the wrist bone.

You won't get the most accurate readings when you wear it like a normal watch on your wrist bone as the flexing of your wrist will affect the accuracy. That is true of all wrist based optical-based heart rate monitors. Especially when engaging in activities that involve a lot of wrist flexing, like cycling, etc.

IMG_1072[1].JPG

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
FWIW, your picture shows your wrist and watch size are proportionate, hence the watch looks fine. However, smaller watch size is even better because the watch would look more even "normal" watch. Again, bigger is not always better.

I think it's clear you know nothing about the Apple Watch on every thread you comment on. The 42 MM isn't even big to begin with. Keep trying.

Reactions: Closingracer

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
The 42mm looks fine on your wrist. The Watch size is more of a personal preference than anything else. If you are used to bigger watches, get the 42. If not, get the 38.

My wife and I have the same size wrist. My 42mm looks overly large on her wrist and her 38mm looks too small for me. This is because I always have worn large watches and she has always worn small watches. Your own perspective of the different sizes is what makes is look too big or too small.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I went for the 42 because I found the 38 to be too small, it looked tiny on my wrist and the display is not big enough. Text is slightly smaller on the 38 and I prefer to see everything clearly.

TranceJD

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
Ireland, Europe
I went for the 38 for several reasons:

- The bigger screen serves no benefit in screen real-estate, it simply just has larger text!
- Have small wrists, and I like how the 38 seems really compact. The 42 felt like having a computer monitor on my wrist.

I think the 42mm just looks too bulky, while the 38mm fits in nicely, and doesn't look obtrusive.

See here.... yes it is the 38mm, and yes my wrists are quite small.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 703

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
I went for the 38 for several reasons:

- The bigger screen serves no benefit in screen real-estate, it simply just has larger text!
- Have small wrists, and I like how the 38 seems really compact. The 42 felt like having a computer monitor on my wrist.

I think the 42mm just looks too bulky, while the 38mm fits in nicely, and doesn't look obtrusive.

See here.... yes it is the 38mm, and yes my wrists are quite small.

That one looks like a 42mm on your wrist. :)

You are correct on the screen real-estate, but it is easier to read the larger text!

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Size wise it looks fine but as @Bob190 mentioned above, you've got it a bit too close to your hand for accurate heart rate measurement - it should be between the wrist bone and elbow, not wrist bone and hand.

I initially had a 42mm but found it too bulky (I've got small wrists: It's also a bit of a funny shape due to an operation I had on it) so ended up with a 38mm which I think is the perfect size for me :)

IMG_0318.jpg

IUBall22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Size wise it looks fine but as @Bob190 mentioned above, you've got it a bit too close to your hand for accurate heart rate measurement - it should be between the wrist bone and elbow, not wrist bone and hand.

I initially had a 42mm but found it too bulky (I've got small wrists: It's also a bit of a funny shape due to an operation I had on it) so ended up with a 38mm which I think is the perfect size for me :)

View attachment 676809
Yea I know you get a better reading when the watch is higher on the wrist. I don't really care about the heart rate feature, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.