Is the 4S the iPhone to get?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacBook08, Oct 18, 2011.

?

Is the 4S the iPhone to get?

1. No. (Wait one more generation.)

30 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. Yes.

84 vote(s)
    73.7%
  1. MacBook08, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

MacBook08 macrumors regular

I'm sure a lot of these threads show up so I apologize if you find it annoying.

I've been holding out for the iPhone for a long time and I'm wondering if I should finally go for it (and get the 4S) or wait a little bit longer.

The thing is, I could really use one but a 2 year contract is a long time (especially if I find myself liking the next generation).

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

4. pup555 macrumors newbie

Get it..but be warned the battery is not that good..if you don't mind charging every night..then go for it.

5. GWagon macrumors member

The Samsung Galaxy SII is what the iPhone 4S should've been. Stick an apple logo on it and pop iOS 5 in it and you have what most people have been asking for with a much cheaper price tag.

6. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Besides for a worse resolution and a graphic card that doesn't hold a candle to the iPhone 4s.

I have a gs2....iOS is just better.... This is my first iPhone after a long line of androids so I'm not partial.

Gs2 has a bigger screen...debatable if that is good or not.

7. GWagon, Oct 18, 2011

GWagon macrumors member

A faster processor and 1Gb ram > 512Mb ram. iOS being better is also debatable. Especially with ICS around the corner. I personally find iOS too restrictive.

Using the iPhone for web browsing coming from a GSII is almost unbearable. Well for me at least.

Both are good phones and some people will prefer one to the other. It depends on what's important to you.

8. futch macrumors 6502

futch

9. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

I said to get it as soon as you can since you won't see another one till probably summer time I couldn't wait the long lol

10. DaIfoneboss macrumors regular

faster processor doesnt equate to better performance, android is still buggy and no where near as optimized as iOS, iphone 4s only needs 512 mbs because the software is extremely efficient as for android its not as efficient

11. Savor Suspended

Savor

I agree with this.

I compared the Galaxy S vs Galaxy S II and iPhone 4 vs iPhone 4S. I want to look at this not from platform vs platform by how big of an upgrade they got from the previous model. The upgrade is fairly comparable but Sammy gave us more on what we needed. Both gave the newer models a dual core chip, better GPU, 8MP camera, 1080p video recorder, and retained the same screen resolution. But Sammy fans got more RAM, more internal storage, and a bigger screen while losing ppi. Apple gets Siri. So the upgrades are essentially the same except the trade-off is screen, RAM, internal storage increase vs a voice assistant still in BETA. I would prefer the former as being more useful since I still stare at the screen all day which will help my vision in the longer run. And 1 GB of RAM and more internal storage with expandable memory slot is always a benefit. I consider the current Siri more of a novelty until it gets more refined. Plus, Sammy only took six months less to introduce their Galaxy S successor, was CHEAPER back then compared to the current 4S, and will continue to get cheaper now. More value in the longer run.

I think Galaxy S II deserves more phone of the year awards. They are already racking them up as we speak. iPhone 4S will get these type of awards and praises simply based on iOS, popularity, and sales. I just feel after six more months that Apple didn't really surpass Samsung when it comes to hardware and features.

Galaxy S vs Galaxy S II
    http://www.thephonedatabase.com/Samsung_Galaxy_S_294_vs_Samsung_Galaxy_S_II_405_Compare_Phones

iPhone 4 vs iPhone 4S
    http://www.thephonedatabase.com/Apple_iPhone_4_143_vs_Apple_iPhone_4S_799_Compare_Phones

___

OP - Get it. Stop waiting or will you end up just waiting forever for the next one that we all know will be better. Problem is the 4S will be discounted year after year. Expect FREE with contract by 2013 just like the 3GS. I notice Apple has the best longevity in carrier stores. You notice many other carriers will not carry certain phones for very long. Not even for more than six months to a year. Once it is discontinued, it is all gone. I sorta like that since I like to sometimes own a phone that NOBODY really has. Be part of that exclusive club.

But you shouldn't worry about tomorrow and start thinking about NOW. Get the 4S. Enjoy NOW, worry later.

12. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Faster speed, Unproven feature, Good camera upgrade.

If you want a good camera smartphone, go get it.

Otherwise get the Nexus Prime or wait for iPhone5.

13. GWagon macrumors member

I've personally never had a problem with Android being "buggy" so I can't help but think that it is a myth. It is extremely smooth, and quick from my experience.

ICS is going to make the GSII considerably faster. There are videos on youtube comparing real world performances of both and the GSII seems quicker at loading web pages than the iPhone 4S, keeping in mind that the GSII has to load flash too.

Like I said, each phone has it's pros and cons. It depends on what is more important to the user.

14. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I dont think we are qualified to tell you how to spend your money.

15. mds macrumors 6502

Totally. It is awesome. Siri along is worth it. Speed, camera, etc. It is a great phone.

16. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Obviously this forum is going to be biased towards buying new Apple gear. There are plenty of people here that have owned every iPhone.

That being said, the 4S is my first iPhone and I love it. I like the smaller form factor than most of the Android handsets these days, iOS is polished and beautiful, and it is wicked fast for web browsing...

17. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Nah... don't get it. The new iPhone 4S doesn't take you to the moon yet.

I would wait just like these stupid and dumb analysts are complaining about how iPhone 4s doesn't do this and doesn't do that.

We need some more wow because our economy is so depressing and no one has good news to share except apple.

So, no. Wait for the next iPhones.

In the meantime, I will just talk to Siri.

18. MacBook08 thread starter macrumors regular

4S it is

Thanks everyone! I've made up my mind: I'm going to be a future 4S owner.:)

----------

The Nexus Prime's looking pretty nice but it's so huge (to me at least)! Plus I'm not much of an Android fan.

19. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Stop complaining and buy a Galaxy SII then, and if you already have one stop complaing about the iPhone 4S, for most people it's a perfect phone.

20. jade macrumors 6502

I used android for about 10 months. On the whole, I found it to be capable. But it was extremely unreliable for me. That coupled with the fast the most common resolution to the problem was "hard reset" it got to be pretty annoying. Especially since there was no system way to keep account info and applications.

I ended up ditching it for an iphone. I was tired of troubleshooting.

21. takeshi74, Oct 18, 2011

takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's annoying when an OP asks a highly subjective question yet provides no information for the people replying to use to make meaningful recommendations. This isn't a question with a one-size-fits-all answer or else everyone would have the 4S (or everyone would avoid it) yet so many seem to treat it as such.

Why have you been holding out? Also consider that there will always be a newer device on the way. Polling isn't the way to answer your questions. Looking at your needs/wants/budget/criteria and using that information to determine what fits you best is the way to go. That is, unless you're just looking to fit in with the majority.

The more information you can provide on you, the better the responses will be. Otherwise you'll just get a bunch of random people telling you what they did and you'll have to filter the responses to see if their needs/wants are even in line with your own. This applies to any thread asking for assistance on selecting a smartphone to buy whether it's IOS or not.

22. tigress666 macrumors 68040

If you want one, just get it. The only reason not to (barring having the budget for it) is if a new one is just about to be released. Otherwise you'll just end up constantly waiting for that next one to come out. I mean if you wait til next year, then what happens if the 6 comes out the year after that and you like that one better?

The phone will last you two years (Believe me, I'm on my second and developers tend to support iphones for about as long as Apple does cause usually it's just a question of the OS you are running).

You may miss out on one or two (probably one seeing how Apple does upgrades) new features on the next iphone but you know what? The one after that will have that feature, you're upgrade will be up, and it will have even better features than the previous one! iPhone yearly upgrades aren't huge leaps, Apple seems to design their phones with the idea that people have two year contracts so that is who they have to appeal to.

23. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

The good news is Apple finally learned how to make a phone that places calls and holds them.

The bad news is it's crippled with a tiny out of date display.

It's hard to imagine Apple using the death grip for another year as they hang onto the profits a tiny screen allows. Surely they'll get current with a proper sized screen.

24. thenerdal macrumors 65816

It depends. If you have an iPhone 4, NOO. If not, then yes.